What do you use on your aluminum wheels??

Old 09-09-2004, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you use on your aluminum wheels??

What cleaner/quick spray stuff do you use?

Old 09-09-2004, 09:13 PM
If you mean for the brake dust, we just use the Mr. Clean car wash on the wheels. Works just fine to get that annoying brake dust off. If you mean to get them nice and shiny and looking great, then Meguiars All Purpose Wheel Cleaner. Im sure theres better stuff out there made to shine the wheels, but when the brake dust will be back within 2 days, its kind of a waste.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:16 PM
While you get answers here, the folks that hang in the General Care forum are 'Gods of the Shine'. RockPick hangs 'round these parts, I'm sure he'll chime in. *Jeporady theme begins to play*

Old 09-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I use a soft scrub brush and what's left over of my wash solution. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the idea of chemicals on my wheels.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:57 PM
I keep mine waxed and just soap and water with a wash mitt, a separate one than I use on the truck.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:22 AM
I use Mr. Moto Wash. (Pink stuff that smells like Cherry). I get it directly from the distributor. This is the same stuff I use on the dirt bikes. Wet the surface, spray it on, then hose it off. This a very mild detergent. I don't like those chemical wheel sprays. I've seen them etch the aluminum and even after following the directions.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:34 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by dzervit
*Jeporady theme begins to play*
Jeporady theme ends...

Moved to General Care...

Old 09-10-2004, 08:37 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by momalle1
I keep mine waxed and just soap and water with a wash mitt, a separate one than I use on the truck.
Like Quintin and momalle, I use elbow grease and rarely depend on any chemical sprays...

I always found that, when I used a chemical spray, I always had to go back down there and remove that remaining film that wouldn't come off with the spray alone.

I, too, have a separate sponge and utilize the remaining wash water after I've finished the entire truck.

RP

Old 09-10-2004, 09:25 AM
I've tried different chemical washes over the years, but I've been doing the same as most of you. Soft bristle brush and wash bucket leftovers. I remember doing my old Mickey Thompson Magnesium (no clear finish) wheels. All hand rubbed with Eagle One mag polish....back breaking labor, but man did they shine!!

Thanks

Old 09-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have two different sets of wheels. I have the factory FX4 clear coated aluminum 17" wheels which I run in the winter and a 16" polished aluminum (no clear coat) set I run in the summer. Oddly enough, I use the same general process on both sets. I use the Zaino wash (what's left after I do the rest of the truck) and a sponge to gently wash the wheels about 3 times a week. I allpy a coat of Zaino polish about every other week.

Now, for the non clear coated set, I have another process I use about every 6 weeks. I do the regular wash thing, then remove the wheels one at a time. I then use a rotary buffer with a foam pad and Wenol metal polish. I follow this with two coats of Zaino for protection, then put the wheel back on. I really wish I had clear coat on these wheels, but the truck and the wheels will be heading down the road in about 5 months when I order my '05.

Old 09-10-2004, 06:57 PM
I use a separate bucket of my car wash soap to clean my wheels also. Then I put on some Klasse polish on them. If you regularly wax your wheels, you probably won't need to use chemicals on them because brake dust will come off with ease using just car wash soap.

Old 09-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're a-talkin' about wheels w/o the clearcoat finish (ie., bare aluminum), the best products I've some across is a line called "Heavy Metal." Comes in 3 strengths, from coarse to fine, and takes off heavy corrosion/oxidation, water spots, etc. Had to mail order it...some place in Montana, Wyoming or Idaho makes it. Do a Google search and you'll find it: the BEST, bar NONE.

Old 09-11-2004, 02:30 PM
I agree with jaymz............ the Heavy Metal polishes are great, especially the light, and medium polishes!

I also agree with the others who advise to apply a good coat of a synthetic wax on the wheels to protect them.

I also agree with RP and the others who recommend using some "elbow grease" to get the wheel perfectly clean before putting "anything" on them.

I guess I'm very "agreeable" today!

Old 09-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Boss_429
I guess I'm very "agreeable" today!
That's why we like you Boss! LOL!

So, why you're in this 'agreeable mood', how about sending over all of your credit card numbers and bank account information. I'll even promise to only order stuff from PAC (and a few other various internet sites of my choosing).

You know the email...

RP

Old 09-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
That's why we like you Boss! LOL!

So, why you're in this 'agreeable mood', how about sending over all of your credit card numbers and bank account information. I'll even promise to only order stuff from PAC (and a few other various internet sites of my choosing).

You know the email...

RP
I said "agreeable"............ not "brain dead"!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you use on your aluminum wheels??