Cleaning Engine Compartment

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cleaning Engine Compartment

Sorry if this was covered already but I could not find it in a search. Can you use Formula 409 spray to clean the engine compartment. I was following a thread in Yahoo groups about it and some siad you could use it safely and some folks said you could not. Any opinions?

Jeff

2000 Expedition 4X4 XLT
5.4L
K&N FIPK
Gibson cat back
Hellwig Rear Anti Sway Bar
Custom Program Superchip 5-program
NEW Yukon 4.10 rear and Front Diff.
LT265/75/R16 Michelin 10 ply
B&M Trans Temp Gauge
Bilstein Shocks
Amsoil

Old 09-02-2004, 02:41 PM
I have never used 409 or any cleaner on my engine for that matter. Many people have had problems when washing their engine due to water messing with the coil packs. What I have done a couple times when the engine bay gets dusty is to just hose it down when the engine is cool. Afterwards I start the engine and let it run for about five minutes to warm it up and speed up the evaporation of the water. I would think that a hose and a soft bristle brush with a long handle would take care of most dirt. If not a cleaner probably wouldnt hurt much except I would probably use something more like simple green. Hopefully someone who has used a cleaner will chime in but I would think you would be fine especially if you warm the engine up afterwards to dry things out. Good luck!

Old 09-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I suppose 409 could work but, I'd be a bit leary about it around some of the plastics in the compartment...

There are oodles of products out there on the market that can work great for doing your engine compartment. My personal favorite is Meguiar's EXTRA (a discontinued product).

On a cool engine, I'd spray nearly all of the areas down and allow it to sit for a period of around 5 minutes. I'd follow with a full hose-down paying very special attention to keep water away from the coil area and all electrical goodies. Once that was complete, I'd coat the entire compartment with Meguiar's #40 and close the hood.

At this point, I'd wash the entire truck and try it. At the end, I'll reopen the hood and wipe down any excess #40 that may be puddled.

As I mentioned, the EXTRA is a DC'd product and thus, you may consider using any of the following chemicals for the same purpose:

Meguiar's Safe D-Greaser

Meguiar's Super Degreaser

Both of those products are concentrated and thus, will probably last you a very long time. In addition to being able to be utilized under the hood, these are excellent overall degreasers which can be used for other garage needs. (Note: The Super Degreaser is pretty potent stuff... for engine compartments and wheel wells only, I'd highly recommend the SAFE D-GREASER).

RP

Old 09-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's the method I have been using with great success on all of my vehicles for the past 15 years or so:

* Run the engine up to operating temparature.

* Pull into a pressure car wash and leave the engine running.

* Open the hood and spray the engine compartment down well with their tire/engine cleaner solution (most washes should have this setting on their wands). This spray is generally very low pressure, but be careful not to do anything stupid - like spraying a steady stream of the solution directly into the alternator windings or something like that!

* Allow this solution to soak in for a few minutes.

* Switch the wand setting to their power rinse and rapidly move the stream of water back and forth across your engine bay for a minute or two. I generally walk around the front and sides of the open engine bay while I am doing this to make sure I get into all of the little nooks and crannies of the compartment. Again, don't be stupid about where and how long you direct the spray.

* When you feel you have sufficiently rinsed the solution from the engine, close your hood, and take your vehicle out and run it good (maybe 15-20 miles at highway speeds) to dry the engine compartment out.

I do this about twice a year on all of my vehicles and my engines stay so clean you could eat your dinner off them. I have never had the slightest problem with getting water into the electrical system, and believe that if you exercise sensible judgement in this area, neither should you!

You can follow all of this up with an engine compartment detailing compound (some of which have already been mentioned in previous responses), but in all honesty, I find my compartment looks so good after this process that I really don't feel the need to use them.

Old 09-03-2004, 02:47 AM
not to hijack your thread, but i have a huge problem with dirt in the engine bay.
after taking the truck out mudding, i had an engine bay that seriosly looked like a solid chunk of mud. the only thing that was not covered in dirt was the fan belt.
i took it to the car wash and sprayed the engine bay forever and it doesnt help. i have mud (when wet)/dirt right around all the spark plugs that i cant get out. all my hoses are brown even after washing them.
the only way i can think of getting the dirt out is to put on some headers....seriously, anybody have any ideas other than turning the truck upside down and shaking it?

Old 09-03-2004, 08:29 AM
Thank you all for your replys!

I think I will try the Meguiar's products. I've been wanting to try them anyway. All your help is appreciated. Thank You

Jeff

Old 09-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
not to hijack your thread, but i have a huge problem with dirt in the engine bay.

Perhaps what you need is otherwise referred to as a "shovel"?

But in all seriousness, if you take your truck out mudding, you may have to be somewhat realistic on how clean you are going to be able to get and/or maintain your engine bay (?). A serious mudder might have to accept "getting the big stuff off" as a more realistic expectation in this department (?).

Old 09-05-2004, 11:33 PM
I would not recommend 409 on an engine. If you read the fine print on the back, you may find it may have an adverse effect on aluminum.

Old 09-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Thank you - I'll refrain from using 409 and try the methods outlined here.

Jeff

Old 09-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by wifestruck
after taking the truck out mudding, i had an engine bay that seriosly looked like a solid chunk of mud. the only thing that was not covered in dirt was the fan belt.
i took it to the car wash and sprayed the engine bay forever and it doesnt help. i have mud (when wet)/dirt right around all the spark plugs that i cant get out. all my hoses are brown even after washing them.
the only way i can think of getting the dirt out is to put on some headers....seriously, anybody have any ideas other than turning the truck upside down and shaking it?
Now is a bit of hindsight, but a good tip to follow before some muddy offroading is to hit the underside, wheel wells, and engine bay with a good tire dressing (armor all, etc). It keeps the mud from sticking and makes for an easy hose off.

Tony

Old 09-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Simple Green has worked for me on all my vehicles engine bays, and its Eco-friendly.

Old 09-22-2004, 03:59 PM
I used to detail cars with my father for used car lots. We used diluted Palmolive in a spray bottle and let it sit for about 10 minutes then rinsed the engines with a hose. This worked really well for most engines. For the really oily ones, he made me take the stiff bristle brush to them... bastard .

Paz

Quick Reply: Cleaning Engine Compartment