clay bar and dawn?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clay bar and dawn?

Hey guys, Im about to give the old yellow beast her first major detail. I have always kept her clean from day one but never got to full detail. My question is this should I or do I have to use a clay bar on the truck? Also should I wash it with dawn liquid soap before I start the detailing? Ive been back and forth between Zaino and Maguires. I decided to go with Maguires this time and maybe try zaino down the road, we'll see.Heres what my plan is:
wash and dry (dawn or whatever I need)
clay bar(if needed)
wash and dry again
#9 if I have swirls (which I dont think I do)
#7 polish
2 Coats of NXT (30 min apart..thanks RP)
#26 the next day

Does this seem right to you guys? from reading here its what I put together as to what would be the best way to get a great shine. I m just not sure about the clay bar and what soap I should use. Also do I need to wash the truck anywhere else in between steps as listed above?One last thing..what can I use to get stains off my hood from leaves falling on it while its raining. Just washing the truck doesnt get them off.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-29-2004, 11:56 AM
Your process looks pretty good............. here are a couple of thoughts:

You probably don't need the dawn, and use a regular wash.

If you do the claying correctly, you shouldn't need to wash afterwards. (maybe just an additional light wipe down with a QD)

I would use the #9, as you probably have some spider web marks (may be difficult to see on yellow). The #9 will also polish up the surface nicely, and remove any remaining clay residue.

If you want to be "fanatical" about it, I would wait 24 hours, or at least overnight to apply the second coat of NXT............... but you certainly don't have to.

Apply a coat of #26 to half a panel first (maybe the tailgate), and see if you like it better with the #26 on there. On yellow, you may prefer the NXT on it's own.

Old 08-29-2004, 12:00 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like Boss mentioned, I think you're pretty much dead on with your plan.

Dawn isn't a necessity and thus, I'd avoid it.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

RP

Old 08-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Brewdude;

Your plan sounds good to me, although as others have said, I am not a fan of using dishwashing soap to wash my vehicles with.

As for the clay-bar, my truck is white and my only word of warning is this. If you are a stickler for the details, using a clay-bar can be an addicting time consuming labor of love. It is amazing just how much small (I mean very very small) surface contamination it will remove. You will not realize what a great job it does till you try it. I am a big fan of the Clay-Bar and would highly recommend it if you want a fantastic clean and smooth finish.

Keep the area you are working on well lubricated (I use Meguiar's Quick detailer) and let the clay do the work. No need to rub hard, the clay will pull out the contaminants.

After you have done one section, just run your hand over it and an un-clayed area, you can feel the major difference......

Have Fun!
CW

Last edited by Topher; 08-29-2004 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys, I guess I need to get to work now. I will post some pics and let you know how it all worked out when im done. Hey RP, I posted a reply to your torn carpet thread.

Old 08-29-2004, 02:56 PM
OK I need help again guys. I just got back from the store and couldnt figure out what the heck I needed. No where on these gottles does it say #9 or #7 or #26. The only thing I did find was the clay bar kit and the NXT. Can someone help with the real name of this stuff, maybe a picture of the bottles or something? Am I just retarted and cant see the numbers on the bottles?

Old 08-29-2004, 03:24 PM
From the Meguiars website...

#9:

#7:

#26:

I hope that helps.
John

Old 08-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Brewdude,

#9, #7, and #26 are part of Meguiar's "Professional" line of detail products, and might not be as easily available at retail outlets as their "Consumer" products. Hopefully, someone else can tell you which chain stores might carry them.

If you don't mind shopping online, you can always try the Professional store at Meguiars.com.

I can also recommend Premium Auto Care . I got turned onto that site by RockPick and Boss_429.

Good luck,
John

Old 08-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks JohnandDar. I was at the web site , I just didnt look at the professional store. I now see what I need. And you are right, none of that stuff was at any of the stores I went to today. I guess I'll just order it all online.
Glad I got that cleared up. I thought I was going crazy

Old 08-29-2004, 05:05 PM
BREWDUDE, I have bought #9 and #26 at PepBoys, don't know if there are any near where you are located.

Old 08-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Moderator &

The only 'local' style stores that will carry the pro line are generally PepBoys, Autozone, Kragen, Napa, etc...

Even then though, they have a limited supply.

You can use meguiars.com to help you find a retailer close to you that carries the professional line of products (Mirror Glaze) but, I'll pre-warn you, the list is somewhat out of date. It can, however, point you in the right direction I believe.

RP

Old 08-30-2004, 08:03 PM
I second Pep-Boys...Autozone is a hit or miss.

You might have luck at a local mom-n-pop auto parts store. Don't forget that the Meguairs products are used for Marine applications too so you can also check out your local marine supply store.

Tony

Old 09-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Check at an auto body specialities store. I have one by me and I can get most of their Professional line of products by the bottle or the gallon.

Old 09-02-2004, 08:56 PM
What exactly do you do with the clay bar? I bought a BLACK (murder to keep clean) truck and water spots are now my true enemy. I have never really gotten into detailing as much but from reading this I have definitly been missing a step.

What does the clay bar do? How do you utilize it in washing/detailing out your rig?

Old 09-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by jvernacchio
What does the clay bar do? How do you utilize it in washing/detailing out your rig?
Black, as you pointed out, is definitely the most challenging of colors to keep clean and vivid. A clay bar is a tool that many detailers and enthusiasts utilize to remove surficial contamination from their paint. By surficial contamination, I mean some water spots, rail dust, some tar, some sap, some paint, etc... in short, items that can't be removed by washing alone and are present on the SURFACE of the paint.

The way that clay works is by abrasion. You move the clay bar back and forth across a clean surface with a surficial lubricant like a quality quick detailer product (like Meguiar's Final Inspection or some like to utilize car wash shampoo mixtures). This back and forth motion literally grabs and removes the problem items like listed above and creates an ultra-slick (smooth) finish.

Clay is generally utilized as a second step (the first being wash/dry) in a full detail as it prepares the surface for polishing and/or waxing.

In a typical year and based on my individual driving habits, environmental conditions, and preference, I may clay my truck 3 or 4 times. I, by no means, clay every time I wax and/or polish.

Do a quick search for CLAY in this forum and you'll find a WEALTH of knowledge from a variety of people in many different areas of enthusiasm and/or the detailing profession.

RP

Quick Reply: clay bar and dawn?