Fender Trim / Protectice Strips

Old 08-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Fender Trim / Protective Strips

I have a 1997 F-150 Lariat Super Cab 4x2 White over Prairie Tan.

On the rear fenders around the wheel well, the trim has a small 2-3 inch x 1 inch clear protective film strip in front of the rear wheel down at the bottom facing forward. I am guessing this is there to help prevent chips and dings. It has done the job well for the past 7 years and 65k miles.........

Over time, mine have developed some mold or dirt build-up spots under them that you can not clean.

Anyone know if I can get replacements for these?

Also

What are they "officialy" called?

The trim itself is Prairie Tan, so it shows up big time. This is about the biggest flaw on the truck so it is time to "make it right". Do not want to peel them off till I know if I can replace them or not.

Was fixing my "Wiper Gremlin" for the second time in 7 years yesterday and decided to drop a note out on the forum about this small detail.

Thanks,
CW

Last edited by Topher; 08-29-2004 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Topher,

I'm not exactly knowledgable about that particular part and honestly can't say that I've ever seen it on a F-150 (however, I know generally what you're talking about).

My opininon is that if the part was made with that film, you'll probably have to replace it. I can't think of a way to get dirt/grime out from underneath plastic short of either removing the plastic or blasting it off with pressure.

If you decide to go the replacement route, you might check with Torrie at (torrie@fordpartsnetwork.com) FPN to see if he can help you out. I've done business with them several times and the customer service is second to none.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

RP

Old 08-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Thanks RP,

Until they started to get "stuff" under them, you would not even know they were there.

I peeled one back just a bit and the stuff under them will clean off easy enough but I am sure once I clean them up they will not stick back on.

I will see if my local parts guys have a clue, if not I will give (torrie@fordpartsnetwork.com) a try as you suggested.

Thanks for the reply,
CW

Old 08-30-2004, 02:34 AM
I've used it on aircraft I think it's made by3M, errosion tape it comes on a roll up to 6" wide.

Old 08-30-2004, 09:41 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by mikemike98
I've used it on aircraft I think it's made by3M, errosion tape it comes on a roll up to 6" wide.
I think I've seen the stuff that you're talking about there mikemike but, I was hesitant to suggest something like that because of the textured surface of the plastic in question. Does that stuff have the ability to be 'shrink-wrapped' with heat or similar because, if not, it sure seems like it might be a bear to work down in the millions of textured 'bubbles' on that plastic.

RP

Old 08-30-2004, 10:17 AM
I put something similar on the headlights lenses on my Wife's vehicle. They cam custom cut for the lens on her vehicle and work well.

It is great protection, but it does take some time and effort to do it right.

CW

Old 08-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Topher
I put something similar on the headlights lenses on my Wife's vehicle. They cam custom cut for the lens on her vehicle and work well.

It is great protection, but it does take some time and effort to do it right.

CW
That's probably the 'clear bra' material that many folks are using to protect their front ends. That stuff is pretty darn good stuff from what I hear. I still think it'd be a bear to make it conform to the texture of that plastic though. A flat surface is one thing; the texture is another...

RP

Old 08-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Just ordered an 8mil sheet of this material from a company called Clear Guard.

I can cut it to match the size of the ones I will take off.

They have pre-cut kits for most vehicles.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

CW

p.s.
Found my rear slider window leaking yesterday.

Pulled off all the inside trim and it is getting in around the frame.

I caught it early so no headliner or other damage.

It is going to the bodyshop to be repaired tomorrow. Can not beat $75.00 and a warranty.......!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fender Trim / Protectice Strips