noisey power window

Old 08-25-2004, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noisey power window

I have had my 2001 Supercrew for almost three months now. From the day I purchased it the passerger side power window has made a loud winding noise. It is driving me crazy, but I am a little leary about pulling off the door panel to check it out. I have pulled door panels off before but that was usually on the beaters I owned previously. It seems like everytime I've done it I have broken one or two of those clips that keep the panel secure. I love this truck I don't want to screw anything up. Does anyone have any hints on pulling the panel off easily. Thanks in advance

Old 08-25-2004, 08:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello jpopvriens,

I have a 2000 Lariat and I just greased my electric windows slide rails to get rid of a whining sound here's what I did.

- Remove the plastic covers under the door opener handle then remove the single screw underneath.
- Remove the long plastic piece at the right-side (looking inside out) of the window, by sliding it up and pulling out, then remove the single screw underneath.
- Now remove the plastic covers that hold the window up/down tabs by gently prying it up with a screw driver, then un-clip all the wiring from the tabs.
- Now you can remove the inside of the door by lifting it up.
- Reattach the wiring to the up/down tabs so you can move the windows up and down while greasing the slide rails.
- Using Dielectric grease, grease both ends of the slide rails that push the window up and down.
- Move the window up and down to test, add more grease if needed.
- To re-install follow the instructions in reverse.

Old 08-26-2004, 12:17 PM
Thanks I give it a try.

Old 08-29-2004, 12:09 AM
if your windows are tinted that may be the problem if the grease doesnt work!!! mine raises all kinds of he11 when i crank it down....no noise goin up tho.........
JJ

Old 09-07-2004, 11:38 PM
Another place to check is the rubber seal that's backed with the felt padding that is between the frame and window. Over time, it builds up dirt and debris and causes for moter overload. A good cleaning, then hit it with some WD-40 to lube up the rails/felt might help out a lot without removing the door panels at all. Be careful with the WD-40 and try not to get it on the paint. If you do, wipe it off ASAP.

SCrew Door panels (well at least on my 2003) were a little bit different then how rkjerue had described. For the front doors, they are held in place with 3 philps screws and one hex head screw. Two philps screws are located at the bottome of the door panel where the door mates up with the rocker panel, and the other two screws are located under the door opener trim panel. As stated before, you'll have to pull the power window/lock panel off as well by pulling up on the front portion. Hope this helps.

Tony

Last edited by TonyPTX; 09-07-2004 at 11:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: noisey power window