Leather Seat Stitching

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Leather Seat Stitching

Got a little problem. It looks like the stitching on my leather drivers seat is pulling away. I realize that the drivers seat is going to be the first for something like this to happen, but what can I do about this? I have 18000 on my '04. Can I take this to the dealer to get this taken care of?

Could it be possible that I am conditioning the seats too much and softening up the stitching? I have had the truck since january and have conditioned the seats maybe 3x with meguiars.

Old 08-23-2004, 08:13 PM
that sucks, i would take a pin (not a small one, one that has a lil bit of a blunt end) and push the threads back into the holes an then just be carefull when you clean that area...

Old 08-23-2004, 08:26 PM
Well it looks like it should be a fairly easy fix. It should be covered under warranty but I dont see the need to replace the entire seat. I would take it in and see if you took it to an upholstery shop if they would reimburse you. All that needs to be done is the leather cover pulled off and the stiching pushed back thru and tied off in the back. You could do it but then you shouldnt have to...but it might be a bigger hassle getting the dealership to reimburse you. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2004, 08:57 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it were me, I'd take it back in for warranty and demand a new cover. They'll probably try to get you to let them get an automotive interior person to 'fix' it but, I think it would be a temp fix and ultimately happen again.

RP

Old 08-23-2004, 09:04 PM
Hey, thanks for the great info guys. I will take it back to the dealer. I'm sure they are going to try in fix it and not replace it. We'll see.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the stitches to pull out like that on the topside, the thread is broken underneath. It can only get worse. That’s warranty work.

Old 08-24-2004, 03:23 AM
Guys,

It would take an upholstery shop 10mins to fix and if done right wouldnt get worse. Yes it should be fixed under warranty with a new one...But then again, no one here is a cow...

Old 08-24-2004, 05:44 AM
That's not just 2 stitchs...In time more will come loose...I agree with Rock Pick 100%.........and its well known his a leather pro as he has a truck with leather seats...

Old 08-24-2004, 07:14 AM
When my truck was about two years old, the leather was getting 'funny' on two of the panels on my driver's seat bottom. It looked like premature wear. The dealer covered it. They gave me a new seat bottom. I took it to the upholstery shop that they use. The guy pulled the seat, put the new upholstery on, and even put a little extra padding on the left edge. He said that he's seen wear like this from drivers sliding all their weight on the left side of the seat before getting out of the truck...thus stretching the leather. The extra padding will help stop this. The seat bottom matches perfectly, and I'm a happy camper. I also lift my lard-**** up a bit now before I get out of the truck.

MR

Old 08-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Florida-150
But then again, no one here is a cow...
Hm...most of the seats are vinyl with only a few select panels being leather. I'd say 80% vinyl and 20% leather at the most...

Bring it in and get it replaced... you didn't pay $30K for nothing...

Tony

Old 08-30-2004, 09:43 PM
I had the same problem on my 04. I took it in and they kept it for a day. THey took the seat out, removed the leather and sent it out to a leather repair place.

Good as new...but not a new seat...

Quick Reply: Leather Seat Stitching