I've decided to give my '04 it's first good detail...what are your favorites?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've decided to give my '04 it's first good detail...what are your favorites?

I've only done this 2 ro 3 times before on previous trucks, and I always used whatever was on the shelf at Wally World.

This truck is going to be different. I've run some searches and have decided to go with Meguiar's.

I'd like to get a complete line. I want to know yalls opinions on what kind of wash/wax/wheel cleaner to get. I am also looking for opinions on washing mits/towels, as well as drying towels.

So far, I've decided on the #9 Swirl Remover (I use this truck a lot in the woods and it has some very, very minors scratches), and the #26 wax. Is there a good wash I should use to remove road film etc.?

And what are these 'micro fiber' towels I am reading about?

So, which wash?
Which wax?
What kind of washing mit?
What kind of drying towel?

I know this is all based on opinion and has been debated before, but that is what I want...your opinion.

Thanks in advance for the replies. Links to other threads that I may have missed are welcome as well.

Last edited by TUFF FORD; 08-23-2004 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:45 PM
I think you've selected 2 good products there. You might want to add Meguiar's #7 (Show Car Glaze), or #81 pro polish right after the #9, and before the #26.

For the car wash, I would go with NXT or Gold Class.
100% cotton mitts or quality lambs wool mitts are very good.
Get some good MF towels for removing polishes/waxes, and for QD'ing.
Good waffle weave drying towels are my choice for drying.

On a side note, my current "Meguiar's only" favorite is as follows:

#80 Speed Glaze (requires a PC or rotary buffer)
#81 Pro Polish
NXT

Last edited by Boss_429; 08-23-2004 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:26 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Geesh... now I have to deal with TUFF up in General Care too? LOL!

Anyway... Like Boss mentioned, you've selected some solid, fairly easy to find, products for your upcoming detail. I think you'll be able to achieve great results by hand as well.

Here's the bad news. Just about every product that has been mentioned thusfar isn't available on the shelf at Wally-Hell. In fact, only the GOLD CLASS and maybe the NXT wash is available off the shelf. To curtail your increased stress level because it's not readily available at the aforementioned store, you can check with most autoparts places (PepBoys, AutoZone, etc) and they typically care all of them. In fact, I just bought a new bottle of #9 today at Pep.

Both Boss and I charge hefty amounts for our sound advice and thus, I think it's safe to expect a sizeable invoice in your mailbox in the coming days. 30518 correct?

RP

Old 08-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Geesh... now I have to deal with TUFF up in General Care too? LOL!...30518 correct?

RP
BUSTED!

I figured I'd check this place out a little further, so I started here.

I looked at Wal Mart and they did have the Gold Class and the NXT. I never thought about Pep Boys or Autozone...I'll check it out later this pm.

All I really want is a wash and wax. I guess the ones I chose will do.

Right now I use old shower towels to dry the truck (the same ones I use to dry the dog ).

What is the best drying towel or technique?

Old 08-23-2004, 04:44 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Generally speaking, I think my preference on drying is to utilize the 'no-nozzle' method followed by a Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel.

The 'no-nozzle' method simply involves removing the nozzle from the hose and allowing a stream of water to pass over the vehicle. Start on the roof and start working your way down. You'll be suprised at the sheeting action that a simple stream of water can provide. This will, in turn, cut your drying time nearly in half and greatly reduce the potential for water marks.

I haven't sent my invoce yet (can't speak for Boss) but, I'll add this session to it as well.

RP

Old 08-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by RockPick

I haven't sent my invoce yet (can't speak for Boss) but, I'll add this session to it as well.

RP
No checks or money orders please........ PayPal is perfectly acceptable to me!

Last edited by Boss_429; 08-23-2004 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:00 AM
Well if old tuff can get approved for paypal ?? then he can add a 2-4 of good Canadian beer and a blue milk case for us to sit on...red would do but I like the blue as its softer on the but...Now also if you get cans could you get some ice and a garbage bag to put the beer and ice in so the beer can get cold faster...thanks...

Oh no charge for this extra tip...Be warned...The RockPick handles all the invoicing I was told so that free tip may be charged for after all...

Old 08-24-2004, 10:11 AM
Now if we can lure some others into GC, we'd have a party!!

Nobody has suggested a wheel cleaner for poor 'ol tuff dude. While a brush and some elbow grease work, I'm partial to Mothers Wheel Mist All-purpose wheel cleaner. Kinda looks like this:

And you details nuts may hate this, but I friggen LOVE this product for drying. I've never scratched anything and it works like a champ. I'm on my second one in 6 years.

http://www.theabsorber.com

And MY advice is totally free!!!

Old 08-24-2004, 10:16 AM
Pep Boys up here actually carries: #26 & #9.

I had better luck tho doing a dealer search at www.meguiars.com and found an auto body supplier near me. If this guy does not have it in stock he can get it for me by the end of the day

My new favorite also is:

NXT
NXT

I love the results that I am getting with Meguiars & swirls / light scratchs. However I miss the longevity of Zaino.....sorry Rock

Old 08-24-2004, 12:54 PM
The absorber rocks. Ive been using it for years

Old 08-24-2004, 11:32 PM
After a Helluvalot of research two years ago, I began using ZAINO, which is a polymer based wax.......
everybody knows that wax only lasts for 6-8 weeks, don't care how many layers you put on......
but ZAINO will last 5-6 MONTHS with the best shine you've ever seen...
it's NOT sold in stores, you can go to the ZAINO website and order any of their products there.

I found out about this after surveying several well-known professional auto-detailers in South Florida....

Just a suggestion, I hope this helps...

but I will NEVER go back to Wax, it's a polymer for me, if not ZAINO, something else.

GLTA!

Old 08-25-2004, 11:46 AM
I thought about trying Zaino but when I looked at the website and saw how many instructions and steps are involved, I changed my mind.

I went with the Color X, NXT combo and I am very happy with the shine. I didn't have any swirls so no extra work was needed to my truck. As quick and easy as NXT is to apply, I am just going to use it every 8 weeks and be happy.

Old 08-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Hey TUFF -

You can't go wrong with the Meguiar's #9, #7 and #26 combo, but may I recommend the Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel... stuff works great and smells even better!

Quick Reply: I've decided to give my '04 it's first good detail...what are your favorites?