tar on plastic body panels

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tar on plastic body panels

I know this is the right place to ask this question because I read countless amounts of invaluable detailing information from RockPick, Boss and others.

My wife has a Ford Escape with the matte gray lower body panels and she has tar on them. What is a safe product to use? There's a quarter sized spot on one side and several splatters on the other. I was afraid to use anything too harsh on the plastic, y'all have any ideas?

Old 08-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A product that is half-way easy to find is Meguiar's Gold Class Bug and Tar Remover. It'll be safe for the plastic lowers. Don't let it sit forever and a day though.

RP

Old 08-06-2004, 01:19 PM
An in-expensive way to remove tar from almost any surface on your vehicle is WD-40. I used this on my truck...paint, chrome, plastic and alumminum wheels. It worked great. Just spray it on the tar spots and let it sit for 10 minutes or so, then wipe it off with a soft cloth. The bigger spot may require a second or third application and you'll have to wash the truck after to get rid of the grease. I soaped mine twice and then of course you'll have to wax, as with any bug and tar remover you use it will strip your wax.

Good luck! I hate tar...grrr...

Old 08-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Thanks y'all! I was a little concerned about using the WD-40 on the plastic, maybe I'll try a little inconspicuous spot before I do the others.

While we're at it, what is a good protectant/wax type product for the plastic lower body panels. I use NXT protectant now, but I was wondering if there was something more substantial and wax-like that could be used.

Old 08-06-2004, 03:14 PM
wemjr,

Yep, the guys have given you some good info............ I'll add one last thing. Some plastic trim can be a bit finicky when solvents are involved. You don't want to use too strong of a product, or you can turn some trim to "goo"! I would go with RP's suggestion, and then try WMR's suggestion of the WD40 next. Hopefully, one of them will work, and you won't have to try anything stronger.

3M's Tar, Wax, and Bug remover is a VERY strong product............ DON'T use it on trim if you don't have too.......... unless you test a spot first.

Quick Reply: tar on plastic body panels