boss/rockpic

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boss/rockpic

Hi guys need some more of your expert advise...

The Fiance' bought a 2000 neon

It is silver and not in bad shape but i would like to know what wax s best for that color and what prep may need to be done..

Also how do you remove sticker residue? Stuck on bugs etc etc...

Jim

Old 08-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You've given us an 'open-ended question' honestly.

Without knowing how bad it actually is, it's VERY tough to give you a perscription to get it back into shape.

Sight unseen, I'd start with Meguiar's 3-step system (Deep Crystal 3-Step System). It's a pretty good 'all-round' type of system that addresses most of the common problems with today's modern finishes including, but not limited to, oxidation, swirls, etc.

If you can get more specific with what type of shape it's in, we may be able to help more.

RP

Old 08-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh yes, sticker residue. While I don't recommend this very often, the best chemical that I've found is WD40 but, (and this is a great big fat butt) IMMEDIATELY after spraying the WD on a rag and working it over that very small area to remove the decal 'goo', you need to wax that area or, at least, do the three step process mentioned in my first post.

WD40 will take EVERYTHING off of your paint and further strip some of the vital oils out of the clear.

Bugs, I'd go with Meguiar's Gold Class Bug and Tar remover. Again, you're going to have to wax the areas where you utilize this chemical as well...

RP

Old 08-05-2004, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jimmer,

RP, has already given you some great suggestions........... I'll add my 2 cents.

Anyhow, on light colors like white and silver, I like to use synthetic sealant type products as the LSP. Products like Klasse, Zaino, Poorboy's EX or EX-P, Wolfgangs WMJ, 4 Stars Ultimate Paint Protection, and of course.............. Meguiar's NXT. With light colored paints, it's tough to build depth and richness with a carnauba system. However, you can make like colors very clean/bright/reflectiive............ the synthetic products can do that.

After a few coats of sealants, you can always top with a fine carnauba for some added wetness.......... depending on the carnauba.

As for the paint prep, as RP said, it's a tough call without seeing it up close and in person. The bottom line is this.................. do whatever you need to do to get the paint clean and blemish free. At a minimum, I would clean with a good paint cleaner, and then do at least one polishing prior to the LSP. For example, I might try the first step (the paint cleaner) of the Meguiar's 3 step system that RP mentioned, polish with Meguiar's #9, and then use NXT as a topper. Another great combo on that color is Poorboy's SSR2.5 or SSR2 polish, followed by SSR1 polish, and then topped with a couple of coats of EX-P, and at a latter date, top the EX-P with Natty's pure carnauba.