Meguiar's Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguiar's Questions

Ok, I have been reading this section for some time now and I have no idea what #this or #that really is. For some time now I have been using M's Wash, clay bar, scratch X (if needed), and their 3 step process when I detail the cars. I went to Meguiar’s site to try to find out what these numbers are but have not succeeded, so please tell me what all these products are by name with their associated numbers.

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2004, 01:46 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Okeedokee....

Naming out all of the individual numbers for all of the individual products would take years (as they have a plethora of products).

Here's the main gist of the product line...

Meguiar's has two automotive product lines. Two others are called the "G-Line" & "A-Line". These lines incorporates all of the products that you'll see sitting on the shelf at Wal-Mart. These products include the 3-Step Deep Crystal System, nearly all of the car shampoos and many other consumer products. The A/G-Line, generally speaking, are all of the products that are made available to the 'Mart' style stores.

The 'M-Line' of products are what you're referring to when someone talks about # whatever. These products are professional products and, generally, are not available at the 'Mart' stores. AutoZone, and other automotive chains, carry some of the M-Line but, come no where close to carrying all of it.

Here's a VERY brief run down of the popular products that you hear alot of us talk about on the boards.

#26 - Hi-Tech Yellow Wax
#9 - Swirl Remover 2.0
#7 - Show Car Glaze
#40 - Vinyl/Rubber Conditioner
#83 - Dual Action Cleaner Polish

The list could go on and on...

Here's a quick trick to decipher Meguiar's Professional Line of products.

Go to Meguiar's Website and click on The Professional Store on the top left of the screen. Now click on the bar labeled Professional Automotive Appearance Care. That will drop down a menu of several categories of products.

When you click within each item, you'll note that products are labeled like this:

M-0916 or M-0901

This code signifies a Meguiar's Professional Line product because it starts with 'M'. Secondly, you'll note the string of digits. The first two are the product description. In short, "09" signifies that this is Meguiar's #9 Swirl Mark Remover. The last two digits, "16" or "01", signify the volume of the container in which it's being sold within. So, M-0916 is Meguiar's Swirl Mark Remover in a 16oz bottle. M-0901 is Meguiar's Swirl Mark Remover 2.0 in a gallon jug. M-2601 is Meguiar's #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax in a gallon jug.

Get the picture? Clear as mud?

Meguiar's has discussed the possibility of revamping their website to make it more user friendly (because, as you've pointed out, most people don't use the Meguiar's schematic to locate products like some of us do) and thus, they have a terrible time on the website trying to find something like #7 because the site isn't designed to work in that fashion. If anyone were to go to the website and type in a search for #7, it'd yield nothing.

Not to further muddy the waters but, the A/G-Line also has a similar string of numbers but, VERY rarely will you ever hear someone refer to the Deep Crystal System Polishas A-2116 or the Deep Crystal Car Wash as G-10464.

Hope that helps a tad. You're right; it is confusing!

RP

Old 07-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Actually it does make more sense, as I was not looking into their Pro line up. I will go back and check there.

Thanks,

And I am sure others of you out there are happy I have asked this question!

Old 07-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by 01SILVERGT
And I am sure others of you out there are happy I have asked this question!
I'm pretty sure you're probably right!

Glad to have helped. Feel free to post additional questions if you have any...

RP

Old 07-26-2004, 09:32 PM
In Spring huh?...look in the Houston phone book under automotive paints...If there's one called English color supply then they are a big Mequires distributer and can get you set up with what you need.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by TexfordD
In Spring huh?...look in the Houston phone book under automotive paints...If there's one called English color supply then they are a big Mequires distributer and can get you set up with what you need.
Thanks, but I am not too sure I really want to get into the whole professional line of their products. I have been very happy with the results of the current products I am using by them. I was really wanting this info so i could follow the conversations here if there was ever a topic that would pertain to a problem I was having with the care of my vehicles (which have only seen M's products since day one, and get a full detail every 6 weeks). I do appreciate the heads up, and maybe one day I will look into the pro line, and try to find a dealer in my area.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Oh BTW is it possible to detail a vehicle too often or too much? My wife thinks I am nuts for washing them all the time and detailing every 6 weeks. I use the products mentioned above (M's Wash, clay bar, scratch X (if needed), and their 3 step process) and in this order when i detail the vehicles.

Hell, I take pride in my vehicles, I do all my own maintinance (except tranny), and I keep them clean. I beleive a clean well maintained car will love you as much as you love it (anotherwards it will be good to you if you are good to it) My wife does not agree with this, she thinks a vehicle is a get from point a to point b and thats it, I want it to get me there and look and run good doing so. I guess I would be asking too much for here to see it the same as me.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh BTW is it possible to detail a vehicle too often or too much? My wife thinks I am nuts for washing them all the time and detailing every 6 weeks. I use the products mentioned above (M's Wash, clay bar, scratch X (if needed), and their 3 step process) and in this order when i detail the vehicles.
Not really, My truck gets wash sometimes 3 times a week. Usually at least once a week. Whenever I have a chance, I've lately been slapping a coat of EX-P on my truck because it's just so easy to use! It's got 3 coats on there right now and it'll probably get another by the end of the week.

The only thing is try to limit the amount of products you use often that have abrasives. You don't need to be compounding your truck every 6 weeks. If the cob web marks get that bad in 6 weeks that you need to compound and polish, then you should probably look into how you are washing your vehicle to help preven those marks.

Old 07-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Intel486
Not really, My truck gets wash sometimes 3 times a week. Usually at least once a week. Whenever I have a chance, I've lately been slapping a coat of EX-P on my truck because it's just so easy to use! It's got 3 coats on there right now and it'll probably get another by the end of the week.

The only thing is try to limit the amount of products you use often that have abrasives. You don't need to be compounding your truck every 6 weeks. If the cob web marks get that bad in 6 weeks that you need to compound and polish, then you should probably look into how you are washing your vehicle to help preven those marks.
Let me correct that, I do not use the 1 and 2 (or scratch X) every time, they get used about every 3-4 details. I usually clay bar (mainly the hood, and bumper for bugs and stuff) then just use the part 3 of the process, or the cleaner wax during the normal 6 week detail.

Old 07-27-2004, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me correct that, I do not use the 1 and 2 (or scratch X) every time, they get used about every 3-4 details. I usually clay bar (mainly the hood, and bumper for bugs and stuff) then just use the part 3 of the process, or the cleaner wax during the normal 6 week detail.
I get ya know.

For the really dirty stuff on the front of the vehicle like the bugs, which can be hard to get off, I'd suggest going to autoint.com and calling them and ordering a gallon of their Omni APC. Soak the front of your vehicle down while you clean the wheels. 10 to 15 mins. Just keep rewetting the surface and applying the Diluted Omni APc. Sometimes if it's really bad, then I'll lightly wash the area down w/ the wash mit and start over again. It's one of the best bug removers I've found. You might not have to use the clay bar then as much.

Their Omni APC can also be used on other areas too. Like the carpet, leather, vinyl, bird droppings, engine bays, etc. It's good stuff that they designed to be safe. Just don't let it dry on paint, but that applies to any product. It's also a 10:1 concentration so you get a lot out of a gallon.

I'd try to even eliminate the cleaner wax. I polished my vehicle well awhile ago and just keep layering on wax. The bedcover of my truck is always bad so I apply One Grand Omega Glaze and S100. Hides a LOT of the swirls and I'm not removing any of the paint. The beads it creates on the surface are pretty cool looking too :-p

Old 07-27-2004, 03:03 PM
To help with the bugs on the front hood and painted bumpers and the side mirrors, I keep it well waxed on the front, and use the NXT protectant on the mirrors. When I use the PB S&W with the DF MF towel, the bugs comes right off.

Old 07-28-2004, 12:30 AM
Moderator &

Thanks, but I am not too sure I really want to get into the whole professional line of their products. I have been very happy with the results of the current products I am using...
You're dead-on right here 01SILVER! Find a series of products that you like and stick with them... use them often!

RP

Quick Reply: Meguiar's Questions