I Must Have Done It Wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Must Have Done It Wrong

So I have an 04 S-CAB F150 in Toreador Red. I've been waxing it with #26 since I got it in March. It works well, but doesn't last too long, so I decided to try NXT. Went on OK, came off a little harder than #26, but looked good. I did the cab with #26 and the bed with NXT and they looked very much the same to me. I use the foam applicator and MF towels. A few days later, it's in the sun, and I have swirl marks where the NXT is. Did I do something wrong?

Old 07-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How many coats did you apply?

Old 07-26-2004, 01:56 PM
Just one of each (cab and bed) though there is probably still some #26 from last month.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Moderator &

Two or three possibilities that immediately come to mind...

The first, which is less likely, is that you didn't note the swirls in the light that you were in initially and did note them in 'better' light. Not that I do everything right but, after waxxing/polishing, I will ALWAYS pull the truck out of the garage into a 'high-light' situation. In short, natural daylight/sunlight. This type of light has the highest tendency to reveal blemishes.

Secondly, the very very very light polishing action that NXT provides isn't adequate to remove your problems. When they seemingly disappeared, you were seeing some of the volatile components serving as a 'filler' to those swirls. When they volatized off, the swirls reappeared.

Thirdly, and most likely in my mind, is that the very very very very very very very very very very light (did I mention very?) polishing action provided by NXT isn't adequate to deal with your swirls and is less likely to conceal them.

While #26 is a pure wax, it is a coating that provides a layer of protection. This layer, depending on thickness, can conceal a certain degree of blemishes (very minimal however).

Another thought that just popped into my mind could be that, when you removed the NXT, you caused swirls. Unlikely, as I know you're pretty versed in this stuff and wouldn't use a rag or something poor to remove a surface coating but, it could happen. MF can scratch a finish if you're not careful.

So, with that food for thought on the table ready for mastication, let's move on to getting rid of your problem.

I have a strong hunch that Meg's #9 Swirl Mark Remover will remove the swirls that you've described as they seem very minimal. After utilizing this product, you'll want to reapply your NXT or #26 to all areas where you utilized the #9 (and, btw, I'd recommend using it over the entire truck for a uniform shine). Also, once you've reapplied, go back and reapply again. Two coats will ensure that your vehicle is fully protected (pending you're doing a good job on coverage).

Also, a trick that I love to utilize is to coat with one or two coats of NXT and then follow with a topper of #26. I think it just looks better.

Hope that helps out a tad...

RP

Old 07-26-2004, 02:16 PM
I'll certainly look at all those things. #1 seems likely, I don't have the luxury of a garage, so I usually wax when it's cloudy or when the sun goes behind the house (like when it's getting dark). I guess I didn't expect to see any swirls at 5,000 miles. I hadn't noticed any prior, and I'm ALWAYS looking (my wife can verify that). I did remove the wax, and then come back with another MF towel and do another wipe down. yesterday, I washed it, and after drying, the swirls seemed better. Maybe I needed a little more pressure, or I didn;t let it dry enough. I'm having a group of professional photographers use my truck as a "subject" later today, they are all using 7 megapixel camera's, I'm sure any issues will show up quite a bit.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:59 PM
Moderator &

Actually, believe it or not, I've seen vehicles, directly from the dealership, that were swirled beyond belief. This, of course, was caused by ultra-poor dealer prep.

The unfortunate nature of the beast is this; if you rub something across your paint, odds are, you're going to scratch it some. It's inevitable. Minimizing swirls is as close as you can come to eliminating them.

Oodles of things can be done to help to prevent them ranging from very nice towels to two and three bucket washing methods to proper techniques while you're touching the paint. All of them will work to a certain degree but it's a straight uphill battle. Interestingly enough, the enemy has unlimited forces as long as you wash your truck.

RP

Old 07-26-2004, 04:11 PM
he he, thanks for all your help.

Old 07-26-2004, 06:10 PM

ZAINO nuff said…

Old 07-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport

ZAINO nuff said…
Wait.. I think I see a scratch and some swirl marks. Quick.. switch to Meguiars as it appears that Zaino has ruined your finish!!!!

Jag

Old 07-26-2004, 09:44 PM
Moderator &

Wow... looks like suran wrap has a new product on the automotive side of Wal-Mart.

*dives under a table*

Old 07-27-2004, 10:30 AM
Considering it's a cloudy day, I'm not exactly complaining about the shine!

Old 07-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One other possibility on how those swirl marks got there. They may not have come from the waxing process at all. Every time you wash your vehicle, you run the risk of introducing some very minor surface scratches - both during the washing and the drying process. You can also get minor scratches just from driving your vehicle in dirty / dusty environments.

In summary, I too hate those bad boys, but they're practically a fact of life. In my humble opinion, it comes down to how well one avoids the issue, and then how well one cleans the issue up. The right products - with the right technique - can make a world of difference. Good luck!

Old 07-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Jaguar
Wait.. I think I see a scratch and some swirl marks. Quick.. switch to Meguiars as it appears that Zaino has ruined your finish!!!!

Jag
Originally posted by RockPick
Wow... looks like suran wrap has a new product on the automotive side of Wal-Mart.

*dives under a table*
LMAO at you sumbitches…

Old 07-27-2004, 05:56 PM
momalle1:

Everything looks good on a cloudy day...

Actually, your truck looks great...

Old 07-27-2004, 06:23 PM
looks good! would that be your marks on the side of the road?

Quick Reply: I Must Have Done It Wrong