Cleaner / Polish ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaner / Polish ??

After lurking in the best shine award thread.......

I picked up a PC. I tossed the white pad and picked up: Two black, one white and one orange from Lake Country.

I plan on using:

Meg's #1 cleaner from thier system
Meg's Show Car Glaze
Zaino
Meg's #26

Question:
Is using Meg's DACP the same as using a separate cleaner and polish?
Is there more / less cutting action between them?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-16-2004, 12:06 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zaino recommends not using a glaze before their polish. It doesn't bond as well and therefore durability is reduced.

Meguiars body shop line polishes have relative scales on them showing their cutting power. #83 is one step below #1.

Check out www.meguairs.com for details.

Old 07-16-2004, 12:22 PM
I would not mix & match Zaino, and Meguiar's products. I would stick to the pure Zaino system, if Zaino is your choice. The Meguiar's line of products is more flexible (not necessarily more durable than Zaino), and can be used with other products. However, even then, it's sometimes better to stick with products that are "made" to work together.

As for a cleaner/polish, the DACP is a good one. Keep in mind that using DACP with a PC requires a bit of work, and usually should be followed with a lighter polish (like #9) before the glaze (#7), or the top coat (#26) is applied.

To be honest, you need to evaluate your finish......... how bad are the spiderweb marks/imperfections? You may only need the cleaner you have, and/or #9 then the #26

Old 07-16-2004, 12:29 PM
The paint is in pretty good shape. There are minor swirl marks.

I can still use the Meg's cleaner, Zaino and then #26??

Old 07-16-2004, 01:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can still use Meguiar's polishes for prep work. You just need a clean surface w/o any oils on it for the Zaino to bond well.

I wouldn't top Zaino with #26. I'm not even sure I'd top multiple coats of it with P21S.

Old 07-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Like I said the paint is in pretty good shape, I am looking for more of a bang, depth, mirror, wet look finish.

Maybe it just needs a good cleaning with the #1 and the PC?

Maybe I just break down and give it the full Meg treatment.....(cough) just a sort of test.......Hope 01' is not lurking.....

Old 07-16-2004, 02:26 PM
I opted for mixing up Mothers & Meguiars proucts this time. I used the Mothers clay bar, the first two parts of the three-step system (cleaner/polish, then a glaze) and topped it with Meguiar's NXT. I was going to slop a coat of the Mothers Carnuba over it, but it looks so friggen good, I figured I'll just maintain with the Mothers Showroom whatever spray. Looked Great. Its been a few weeks and everything is holding up very well.

Why did I do that? The mothers products work great and there is no confusion - Clay then step 1, 2, 3!

Old 07-16-2004, 11:06 PM
I too use Mothers for easy of use, beside, meg.. is harder to come by around these parts. Sorry, I dont buy online, prefer to support local business.

I use the Mothers showroom detail spray after everywash just to keep things lookin fresh.

Sled...

Old 07-19-2004, 07:30 AM
I used the PC this weekend for the first time......

I LOVE IT

I ended up using all Meg's:

#1 Cleaner
Show Car Glaze

The PC was much easier to use than I anticipated. I think it was the good cleaning (#1) did the trick. Now in retro...I am wondering if I should have used #9. The cleaner did not get all the fine swirls but the glaze covered them up?

What is the difference between a glaze and a polish?

Old 07-19-2004, 08:27 AM
Yep, #9 will clean up the swirls better than #1.

Generally speaking, a glaze is used to fill in swirls/scratches/spider web marks and add gloss. Most glazes have little or no abrasives. On the other hand, most polishes have abrasives and are used to clean the paint, and remove imperfections............. like #9, Swirl Free Polish, DACP..... Etc.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Great, Thanks Boss

One last question: Is it worth the time to glaze after using #9 or DACP?

Old 07-19-2004, 10:07 AM
BC,

You're welcome!

If you are going for maximum "POP", I would recommend the #7 glaze after #9, and before #26. The 9, 7, 26 combo has been a favorite of many people for a good many years........ and for good reason.

A little FYI here.............. I recently had the chance to try a sample of another Meguiar's product that I had never used. It's called Meguiar's Speed Glaze (#80). It is a product that cleans, polishes, and glazes at the same time(yes, it kind of contradicts the defintion of most glazes). It is just a tad more aggressive (4 on Meguiar's scale) than the #9 (3 on Meguiar's scale), which makes it a good swirl remover, and leaves a nice clean, glossy finish all in one step.

Anyhow, now that you have the PC, you might want to think about the trying the Speed Glaze........... it works great with the PC. I would highly recommend this product as a prep for NXT, as it leaves a finish closer to the look of NXT. The NXT will then enhance the look, and add protection.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:34 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Boss_429
I recently had the chance to try a sample of another Meguiar's product that I had never used. It's called Meguiar's Speed Glaze (#80). It is a product that cleans, polishes, and glazes at the same time(yes, it kind of contradicts the defintion of most glazes). It is just a tad more aggressive (4 on Meguiar's scale) than the #9 (3 on Meguiar's scale), which makes it a good swirl remover, and leaves a nice clean, glossy finish all in one step.
I've heard several folks say that #80 is their favorite Meguiar's product.

I've toyed with it at Meguiar's home office but really didn't have enough time to get a feel for the product.

RP

Old 07-19-2004, 10:53 AM
YA KNOW............

I can see this becoming another addiction.....

While I have you on the line,

Can I put #9, #80 on with a black Lake Country pad or should I be using a white? I also have an orange LC, but I did not want to get too aggressive??

I am going to need another storage locker for all this crap....

Old 07-19-2004, 01:25 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going to leave this one to someone that knows more about the Lake pads than me... Sorry I can't help.

Quick Reply: Cleaner / Polish ??