Microscratches in paint after first wash

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Microscratches in paint after first wash

Washed my new 2004 Lariat SCrew the other weekend at the local carwash. (powerwasher, scrubbrush) major mistake...

Now i have all these little scratches in the finish that I can see if I look closely. I want to rewash it this weekend and have found plenty of threads on how to wash, what to use etc. My question is this: how do I get those out? do I need to rewax the truck(it's only 3 weeks old) or do I need to do something else? How do you actually wax a vehicle?

Keep in mind, up to this point I always used the local carwash for my old truck for simplicity sake, but this new one is my baby, and I want to keep it's finish perfect. I've never detailed, or really put much effort into washing a vehicle. I've always used a powerwasher or whatever was handy and just got the dirt and bird poop off the vehicle and called it clean so this is all new to me.

I'll search the forum when I get home, but might anyone be able to just list the best products as well for cleaning the interior leather seats, console, dash and all the wood trim and other components in the 2004 lariat?

Old 07-15-2004, 04:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably going to get some long replies to this thread. In the past I'd probably make one of them... lol

You probably had marring in the paint when you bought the truck from the dealership so don't feel too upset. Most people just start to notice the stuff after they have washed the vehicle for the first time or notice it after they've had a detail shop wash it for them. That's a pain b/c then they blame the shop. Also, just b/c a place says they hand wash a vehicle doesn't mean it doesn't leave marks in the paint.

You will have to use a swirl remover or possibly a light compound to remove the marks from the paint. Remember though, this isn't something you want to be doing too often as it does remove a thin layer of paint. The UV inhibitors are concentrated in the top layers of paint and you don't want to remove most of them.

Personally, I'd spend the money to get a quality polish and a synthetic wax. Spend a weekend detailing your truck and getting as many of the swirls out as possible, and then put a coat of wax on there. Now, with regular maintenace, you'll be able to keep your truck looking really sweet.

The biggest thing is keeping your truck washed. If all you have time for is washing your truck, then do it. It is definately the most important thing. The bird droppings, bugs etc. on your vehicle will etch your paint. Need to get them off.

Finding the products you like will take some experimenting on your part though. Some people can suggest Meguiar's stuff you can probably find locally. I don't use much Meguiar's stuff. Only their plastix and car soap (But as soon as I run out I'm switching to autoint's car soap. I like it a lot better).

I'm too lazy to do links right now because I actually am trying to hurry up b/c I got to head out to another job today. Check out what Poorboysworld.com has. Can also check properautocare.com as well as prowax.com (have to email to find a local distributor). You'll also want to get a small supply of microfiber towels. They make all the difference w/ the right products!

oops... I made a big post... lol

Quick Reply: Microscratches in paint after first wash