Best for Black - Time to get serious

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Best for Black - Time to get serious

Hello Everyone

I have a black '99 F-150 and I feel that it is time for me to get serious about getting the paint back in shape to look its best. It is garaged about half the time, but sits out quite often. Also, over the years, I have accumulated many scratches and a large collection of swirl marks/spider webbing from washing and everything else. I need your advice on what the best products are for me to apply in order to enhance the appearance of my truck. I read these boards almost everyday, so I see what other people say but I would like to see the suggestions for my case. In the sun, my swirl marks show up very badly.

All I have been doing is using Blue Coral wash and wax and then maybe 2 times a year I use Armor All Diamond Hard Shine car wax. I know there are better products than this, so what are they? I see a lot of talk about Meguiar's and Zaino, so which would be best for me? I will do it all by hand, as I have no experience with a buffer and don't want to make it worse. From what I read, I need to use a clay bar maybe, and then Meguiar's #9 and then NXT or should I be going with something else? I see that RockPick seems to be the major source of knowledge around here and have learned a lot just by reading older messages.

Thanks for you suggestions and help everyone!

black'n'chrome
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...=44751&anum=39

Old 07-08-2004, 10:55 PM
How much money are you looking to spend. If money is no object. Get a PC and DACP, you wont be disappointed. Top off with NXT and she'll look brand new.

Old 07-08-2004, 11:49 PM
Talking

JCMA81, I would really appreciate it if you would use some more acronyms that 99% of the people out there have no clue what they mean including me.

Thanks

Old 07-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ack. This is an open ended question...

I'll try to get you a half-way complete answer tonight....

Oh yeah, good idea for an acronym thread too!

PC - Porter Cable Dual-Action Polisher
DACP - Meguiar's #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish
NXT - NXT Tech Wax from Meguiar's

Old 07-09-2004, 11:42 AM
what i use

my pics of my truck are in my gallery, dont know how to link , but mine is black, what i use is Zymol HD clense after i wash it, this stuff is a paint cleaner and nourisher, then i use Zymol titanium wax, i must say it does look good, and the wax lasts a whille also, I know some guys say Zymol doesnt last but hee in the wonderful chicago seasons it holds up preety good, but honestly try Zymol hd cleanse, ive used it one a friends 87 Monte Carlo SS that had sat out for years in the sun, it brought back the shine to it, a little bit of time but it had brought it back

Old 07-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Thumbs up

Have 04 F150 Black Lariat-Just used NXT and it is excellent, best shine I have ever seen. Try it.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by slag
JCMA81, I would really appreciate it if you would use some more acronyms that 99% of the people out there have no clue what they mean including me.

Thanks

Sorry man, just comes as a habit.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Moderator &

I certainly haven't forgotten about you but, I did want to see if you had an idea about the condition that your paint is currently in... further, if you could post a picture of a VERY UP CLOSE shot with the sun being used as a reflection, that might help out too. This will show the true level of scratching/swirling on your paint and might help some of us make a recomendation....

Black is a beast and it's going to take a HIGH-LEVEL of upkeep to keep it looking good post-polish/wax. Keep that in mind...

RP

Old 07-09-2004, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the replies...good to see the lively board.

RockPick...I'll try and get a picture on here tomorrow if I get a chance. As far as I can tell, the majority of the marks are just scratches/swirls in the clear coat, but I don't know how many of them I will be able to get out by hand, I guess I just don't know enough about the products that are out there.

I'm just looking for a good wax to make my truck shine and to protect the finish.

black'n'chrome

Old 07-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Here are the pictures I took of the sun reflecting off my truck. It is a bit dirty, sorry about that; I didn't take time to wash it before I took the pictures. I think the pictures actually make the swirl marks look worse than they actually are, it makes them look deeper-not just on the surface.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=6471

I realize there is probably not a product for the consumer that will eliminate these or even reduce them substantially, but I just want to know what products I should use that will make my finish looks its best. I'm waiting on what is said so I know what I should order online to get my truck looking its best!

I look forward to the suggestions.
Thanks again

black'n'chrome

Old 07-10-2004, 11:46 AM
black'n'chrome,

Well, I think you're looking for an answer from RP, so I will throw in a few comments, and let RP elaborate.

First, I doubt (I'm positive) that #9 will NOT handle all those spider web marks. DACP, or Poorboy's SSR2.5 with a PC might take care of them. However, because the whole vehicle seems to be covered with them, it would take a LONG, LONG time to get them out with a PC. For sure DACP, or SSR2.5 with a rotary would get the majority of them out. Although, some of them might require an even more abrasive product like Meguiar's Medium cut, Heavy cut, Power Cleaner, or Poorboy's SSR3.

If you don't have a rotary, or don't know how to use one properly, I would recommend that you take the vehicle to a professional, and have them buff/cut/level the paint.

On a side note, If your intent is to keep your truck looking good after the paint correction, I would advise that you review all the tools and processes that you use to wash/dry/wax your vehicle. You need to minimize those spider web marks in the future, in order to be able to handle them by hand, or with a PC and reqular polishes.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-10-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Boss_429
black'n'chrome,

On a side note, If your intent is to keep your truck looking good after the paint correction, I would advise that you review all the tools and processes that you use to wash/dry/wax your vehicle. You need to minimize those spider web marks in the future, in order to be able to handle them by hand, or with a PC and reqular polishes.

Just my 2 cents.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what he said .... 2 more cents

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=4362

Old 07-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Moderator &

What Boss said is, in my opinion, precisely right. Plus, Boss knows quite a bit more about this stuff than I do.

The scratches/swirls that you photographed are pretty bad and it's going to take a pretty agressive product and the use of mechanical application to remove them. If you're not comfortable with something like this on your paint, I'd highly recommend that you hire a pro detailer to take care of those.... maintenance, beyond your detail, is CRITICAL to keep that just detailed look.

RP

Old 07-10-2004, 08:49 PM
So, what would be recommended if I were to say that I am going to just do the best that I can by hand with whatever products are available? There really isn't a pro-detailer around, even if I felt like spending the $100's that it would take. I realize I've got some wicked swirls, but even if I can't get them out, what are the best products to make my truck shine like every proud Ford owner wants!

Will my best option be something like a clay bar, Meg. #9, then NXT using 100% cotton made in the USA towels?

Sorry to keep asking questions, but I'm trying to learn this on my own.

Thanks again

Black'n'Chrome

Old 07-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Well, you've got your work cut out for you, and I think you are going to be somewhat disappointed at the results, unless you are a "bull", and are willing to put in an entire day just polishing.

Anyhow, I would opt for Poorboy's SSR2, as it is a bit more abrasive than #9, and does not contain any fillers. The SSR2 is easy to work by hand (for an abrasive polish). The lack of fillers in the SSR2 will allow you to see if you are removing the makrs. Then, after you've gone over the truck with the SSR2, you can come back with the #9, and try to remove a tad more of the marks, and fill in the rest as best possible.

My guess is you will need around a dozen cotton applicators or so to do the job. The cotton apps have more "bite" than foam apps, and will help in the removal of the marks.

As for the towels............ most of us here like high quality MF towels. However, quality cotton towels will certainly work fine, and removing polishes with cotton towels is sometimes easier because of the added bite of the cotton.

Quick Reply: Best for Black - Time to get serious