Dad's Day with my baby...(4pix, 800x600, 56K BEWARE!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dad's Day with my baby...(4pix, 800x600, 56K BEWARE!)

..yeah, baby as in my F-150!! A little wash, a little clay, paint looked great so I skipped the polish & sealer and when straight for the NTX. Cracked open the orbital buffer (just got it) and had at it. I'm pretty happy, but the truck had such a great shine to it prior there wasn't too much of a difference. The NTX did make it look a little deeper, though... Just had to share!

Last edited by dzervit; 06-20-2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:21 PM
Old 06-21-2004, 12:20 AM
Look sweet man!

Old 06-21-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by dzervit

Looks nice, but a wax is mainly there for protection. It will add some depth and shine, but to really get a deep look you need to use a polish before the wax. Polish is about the most important step regardless of how good the finish is. The clay makes it smooth, the polish gives it depth and shine while the wax will protect and add some more shine. You can put a coat of #26 or S100 as a topper and that should give you a little more shine to the truck also.

Old 06-21-2004, 03:19 AM
Lookin good!! Mine could use a good detailing, how 'bout a trip to Alaska??!!

Old 06-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by MaxTorque02
Looks nice, but a wax is mainly there for protection. It will add some depth and shine, but to really get a deep look you need to use a polish before the wax. Polish is about the most important step regardless of how good the finish is. The clay makes it smooth, the polish gives it depth and shine while the wax will protect and add some more shine. You can put a coat of #26 or S100 as a topper and that should give you a little more shine to the truck also.
So polish even a smooth fresh from the factory finish? I skipped the polish since I didn't see any swirls, scratches, or any noticable imperfections in the paint. How much more shine and depth can I expect from the light AZ Beige paint? Perhaps next time I'll give it a whirl... thanks for the info!

Old 06-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by MaxTorque02
Certainly not trying to start a debate here but, in dz's defense, NXT (or NTX as he called it..hehehe) does offer a certain level of polishing (cleaning) action. While it is light, he may or may have not needed it in my opinion. Granted that I've yet to come across a new vehicle that didn't need to be clayed but, I have seen vehicles on stealership lots that, in my opinion, probably could be dealt with utilizing a one-step product.

Of course, this all teeters (that's a highly technical word which only trained folks can utilize! Use at your own risk!) on someone actually standing over the paint and making an educated guess as to what will and will not address the problems...

BTW, dz, looks great!

RP

Old 06-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Moderator &

So polish even a smooth fresh from the factory finish? I skipped the polish since I didn't see any swirls, scratches, or any noticable imperfections in the paint. How much more shine and depth can I expect from the light AZ Beige paint? Perhaps next time I'll give it a whirl... thanks for the info!
If you had a 'smooth from the factory finish', I'd be VERY suprised. That or you have one of the 3 dealerships in the entire world that do an A++ job of dealer prep. Everyone has their own definition of smooth however... Again, not trying to start a debate and, heck, it really doesn't matter. LOL! (I'm still angry about the cigar incident.) LMAO!

I don't have a huge amount of AZ Beige on my truck but, I do have some. I have paid special attention to that area in the recent past after utilizing NXT on my King Ranch. My experience and opinion yielded a deeper look by topping it with #26. Really seems to make a pretty significant difference on what I've seen in the recent past. (sidenote: after #26 application, wait a day or two to pass judgement as day two has historically yielded the best look in my opinion).

Old 06-21-2004, 10:05 AM
Thanks RP... I did clay it, and that did smooth out the paint nicely. Like I said though, the finish was nice and w/o swirls or fine scratches. My dealer rules, I guess! I'll top her off with some pure carnuba tonight/tomorrow if I get the chance!

NXT (or NTX as he called it..hehehe)
- I was sleepy last night getting that post in!

Old 06-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Moderator &

Thanks RP... I did clay it, and that did smooth out the paint nicely. Like I said though, the finish was nice and w/o swirls or fine scratches. My dealer rules, I guess! I'll top her off with some pure carnuba tonight/tomorrow if I get the chance!

- I was sleepy last night getting that post in!
Ahh, I skipped over the part where you said you had clayed it... in that case, your dealership may only be A+ in that they didn't swirl the hell out of your finish prior to delivering it to you. That typically comes as standard equipment for anyone buying a Ford.... that and orange peel.

How did you like the orbital? Which one did you get?

Sleepy??? Pfft. I'm going to let it go this once but, if it EVER (and I mean EVER) happens again... you WILL NOT like the consequences. LMAO!!!!!!!

RP

Old 06-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
How did you like the orbital? Which one did you get?

Sleepy??? Pfft. I'm going to let it go this once but, if it EVER (and I mean EVER) happens again... you WILL NOT like the consequences. LMAO!!!!!!!
I got the Craftsman special!
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00910723000
If the link doesn't work, its Sears item #00910723000, Mfr. model #10723.
I really like it. Made the process much easier. If I were to do it again, I might get the 7", as the 10" required more attention to ensure the curves on the truck recieve wax. I'm thinking the smaller pad would help with tight spaces/curves. But the large pad flew over the flat surfaces, so I guess it all evens out!

The trickiest part of the buffer was learning how much NT...er, NXT to apply to the bonnet w/o over doing it.

Quick Reply: Dad's Day with my baby...(4pix, 800x600, 56K BEWARE!)