Meguiars ColorX

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Meguiars ColorX

Has anyone ever tried this stuff before? If so, did it take out swirl marks like it is supposed to? Does it give your paint a nice shine? THanks

Old 06-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd be totally honest with you; I was skeptical about this product and, those who know me here know I'm very much a Meguiar's fanatic...

ColorX was a product that I recieved to 'test out' a little over a month ago and have since given it a whirl...

One word. WOW.

It's a very effective light swirl remover as well as a wax. In my honest opinion, it doesn't give the depth that a full #9 and then a full #26 treatment yields however, it certainly does what it's supposed to do.

Again, with ColorX, you need to work the product until it's almost dry (but don't work it after it's dry).

For $6, it's a sure-win.

DO NOT expect this product to remove excessive swirling as it contains only a very light abrasive polish as it *IS* a consumer line product.

RP

Old 06-19-2004, 09:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The weather is finally cooperating...

...and I was able to throw a decent wash on my '04 this evening with Meguiars Super Suds(?) wash (the blue bottle stuff). I'm gonna try ColorX to fix some small scratches I got in the morning, then finish up with NXT.

Stay tuned.

Old 06-19-2004, 10:04 PM
Moderator &

If you're just trying to address scratches/swirls, Meguiar's Swirl Remover 2.0 (aka: #9) is a MUCH better product and contains no 'protection'. In my opinion, NXT isn't going to bond as well over ColorX.

ColorX is a good 'one-step' product.

Just FYI.

RP

Old 06-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay, so I'm reading the directions on this bottle of NXT, and I see the part about "Repairs minor scratches/swirl marks!"

But that's what the ColorX bottle says too.

So, should I do the whole thing in ColorX, the whole thing in NXT, spot repair with ColorX then go over the whole thing in NXT, or get my grubby hands on #9 then go over with NXT?

Old 06-19-2004, 10:38 PM
Moderator &

If you already have ColorX, try it first. It may address your problems and, it's not a huge issue to follow up with NXT as it will work and you'll love the results.

Trust me on this one, NXT will remove little to no surface blemishes. That line is specifically on the bottle because of the VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY light cleaning agents that are in the mix. (did I mention very?). In short, DO NOT depend on NXT to remove anything more than a SUPER MINOR ULTRA-TINY swirl.

If ColorX doesn't do the trick and depending on the level of swirling/spider webbing/scratching, #9 may be your answer.

That clarify it a bit? Sorry to have muddied the waters.

RP

Old 06-20-2004, 12:26 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by RockPick
...as it contains only a very light abrasive polish as it *IS* a consumer line product.
UPDATE --- UPDATE

After conducting more research, I'm not sure that ColorX even contains an abrasive polish. I believe it's actually chemically agressive.

What does this mean to what I've said earlier? Really nothing but, I wanted to clarify to convey the correct information.

Application and such should still be as mentioned.

RP

Old 06-24-2004, 01:47 PM
I totaly forgot about this post until today.

Maybe I should try some of that #9. If the ColorX is a 'light' swirl/scratch remover I dont think its going to do a whole bunch.
Maybe that #9 would work for me.

Can I put the #9 on and then Meguiars GC paste wax I have over that, or should I get something else to put over the 9 instead of the GC paste wax?

Thanks

Old 06-25-2004, 09:12 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Bartak1
I totaly forgot about this post until today.

Maybe I should try some of that #9. If the ColorX is a 'light' swirl/scratch remover I dont think its going to do a whole bunch.
Maybe that #9 would work for me.

Can I put the #9 on and then Meguiars GC paste wax I have over that, or should I get something else to put over the 9 instead of the GC paste wax?

Thanks
#9 is more agressive than Color-X for sure. If you're swirls/scratches are worse than 'very light', maybe #9 is your product. Again though, without standing over it and really looking at it, it's tough to diagnose via the internet.

Once you apply the #9, the abrasive action *WILL REMOVE YOUR GC* and thus, after you apply the swirl remover, you'll have to follow back up with GC or your wax of choice.

RP

Old 06-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Alrighty-Thanks RP

Sounds like #9 will work for me then.

P.S. If my swirls arent as bad I think(and I think they are pretty bad), will the #9 do any harm??

Old 06-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Moderator &

A simple answer is no. Of course, too much of anything can be harmful (this would include just about any car care product that I can possibly think of).

I think you'll like the results if you follow the directions VERY specifically.

RP

Old 07-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went over my truck with the Color X/NXT wax combination and all I can say is, WOW! My truck had a few light swirl marks from the dealer and they are gone now. The shine and smooth finish of the paint is unreal. I really liked the ease of application and removal to. I have some pictures but I don't know how to post them and they really don't do the shine justice. I'm going to put another coat of NXT on it for maximum sun and bird poop protection.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:48 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Rio J
I just went over my truck with the Color X/NXT wax combination and all I can say is, WOW! My truck had a few light swirl marks from the dealer and they are gone now. The shine and smooth finish of the paint is unreal. I really liked the ease of application and removal to. I have some pictures but I don't know how to post them and they really don't do the shine justice. I'm going to put another coat of NXT on it for maximum sun and bird poop protection.
I look forward to seeing the pictures (even though they don't always do it justice).

Old 07-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockpick, Can I e-mail you the pictures and you can post them?

Old 07-09-2004, 06:18 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Rio J
Rockpick, Can I e-mail you the pictures and you can post them?
Yeah but it'd be easier for you to start a gallery... how big are these pictures (file size)?

Quick Reply: Meguiars ColorX