Brand new truck paint bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Brand new truck paint bad

I bought a brand new 150 heritage 2 weeks ago. The night I took it home I noticed a spot where the primer showed through the base coat on the hood. The black finish was otherwise superb.
I took it back and the body shop "worked on it".
It looks like the new guy painted it, you can see sand marks in the finish and how they buffed the heck out of it to smooth out the paint,bummer.. if this was a colision repair on a 2 year old I'd say OK, but it's brand new.
Besides that I noticed the trip Odometer had 3 more miles on it,
the hood didn't close properly, there was a nick on the door edge they closed the seat belt in it,and they smeared silicone or something all over the floor boards so that my mats slip around.
I guess the question is can a body shop guy duplicate a factory finish and if not should they replace the truck. What recourse do I have? Anyone had similar experience?
I called the sales manger after I picked it up from the body shop and am bringing it back in monday.

Old 06-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your recourse is to take it back and demand that it be fixed to your specification.

Unfortunately, it sounds as though you're experiencing what over 40% of new vehicles, off of the truck, experience; that being damaged upon receipt...

You see, vehicles get damaged when shipped from A to B. The dealerships will paint a panel or repair a mirror quite frequently as they are reimbursed for these expenses. It's VERY common. It sounds as though the dealer prep was incredibly poor.

Demand action.

RP

Old 06-12-2004, 05:35 PM
that 'ol quote ...

We use it in our shop.. " take the time too do it right or make the time to do it over " ( they didn't ) Not only should it go back but they should throw in a low pro bug shield ( if you don't already have one ) for good measure, to make up for wasting your time,,, ( ya they should ) .... Good luck ...

Old 06-12-2004, 06:17 PM
The original paint is that....original....close matches can't change that. Stay calm when you go back. Point out the poor repair and ALL of the additional damage. Treat them as if they're responsibe for complete satisfaction because THEY ARE.

Old 06-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks I'm not a hot head and they have listened to my problems
but all I want is the job done right
jztbcz, what shop do you work at?

Old 06-14-2004, 11:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll offer that a good shop can get you a finish that is at least cosmetically equal to a factory paint job - if they try. The biggest thing you can't get outside the factory is the metal preparation and primer steps that can only be done with a "body in white." That's the part of the paint job that really affects corrosion resistance. You can come very close though if the shop never breaks through to bare metal. I've seen some excellent jobs done by dealers who know what they're doing. Then again, I've seen some stuff like you apparently got.

My advice? Be pateint and direct. You do have the right to a "new" vehicle because you paint for it. Raise the issue to Ford if you have to. Good luck!

Old 06-14-2004, 02:07 PM
sorry ...

i didn't mean to make you think i worked for an auto shop. I meant shop as in my warehouse i manage. I was throwing the quote out there. We like too get things right the first time, which is what the place your rig is at should try.. Hope they get it right for ya.

Old 06-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Got it back again today and quite a difference. Really no way for me to tell,, yet. Question, can the repaint last as long and be as durable? Of course the shop manager says yes.
I have to say they did a good job on it and the dealer sales and body shop seemed concerned with my problem I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. But you have to wonder Fords commitment to quality that allowed it to happen in the first place and how the dealer dropped the ball on the initial rear.
I'll post a picture when time allows..Thanks everyone for the advice

Quick Reply: Brand new truck paint bad