Rusted Rock Chip....

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rusted Rock Chip....

Was going over my car ( Thank goodness this is not on my Truck! ) and found a nice rock chip on the roof. This rock chip has gone down to the bare metal, and has rusted.

Before I use the touch up paint on it, common sence tells me I first must remove the rust. Any suggestions on how to do this, and how to do it without damageing the paint around the chip??

A goofball at Crappy Tire (Canadian Tire for all my American Frends) told me to get some rust remover and rub it on the chip.. I asked if this will damage the surrounding paint, and his respondse was.." Probably " ! Thank for the help Einstein!

Any Suggestions??

also.. RockPick.. The Ayatollah of Shinarolla.. what cloth do you use to remove the wax during one of your all day waxing extraviganzas??

Thanks

Old 06-01-2004, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should wet sand the rock chip with 2000 grit sandpaper before applying the paint. Then apply the paint and let it dry over night, then wet sand it again to smooth it out. Then polish, then wax.

Old 06-02-2004, 11:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'm sure you'll get more sage advice from many others, but I'll offer my opinion. First, your trouble spot is on your roof. I can't see my roof without a step ladder, so I wouldn't worry about the cosmetic quality of the repair as much as the physical quality. Given that, what you really (probably) want to do is stop the rust, then cover it up.

If that's what you want to do, I'd avoid any kind of sanding to remove the rust. Any sanding will expose more bare metal - which will require proper surface preparation and painting. Oh yea, and sanding will actually increase the size of the spot you need to repair. Do you really want to do that?

So what would I recommend? Duro used to make a product called Extend that was a chemical rust neutralizer. It actually stopped rust and allowed you to paint directly over it. In an area where I wasn't as worried about cosmetics, I'd recommend putting this stuff on, then touching it up with brush touch up paint. Will it look perfect? No, but is will stop the [problem from progressing.

Now, if you really want a true cosmetic and physical repair, you need to sand, feather, prep, prime, wet sand, color coat, clear coat, then buff. That's not something most of us have the time, expertise or equipment to do the right way. That's what collision / paint shops are for.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Rusted Rock Chip....