Has anybody tried the hair dryer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anybody tried the hair dryer?

I have read posts saying that a hair dryer will help to remove dealer stickers from your truck. Has anybody tried this? If so, what did you use to pull the sticker off with?

Old 05-31-2004, 12:39 PM
It can help yes... just get a fingernail under it, and pull... I just got a fingernail under mine, and pulled. Didn't need to heat it up...

Old 05-31-2004, 12:47 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure what type of dealer 'emblem' has been applied but, in my case, they had applied a vinyl sticker of sorts that advertised the stealership.

It took the hair dryer and about 5 minutes of my time to remedy my problem.

Simply heat it up (for a few minutes) and slowly begin to remove the emblem by peeling it back. If residue remains, you may try using a product like WD40 (or similar) to remove the remaining residue. While I don't recommend using such a harsh chemical on your paint regularly, in this case, it was about the only thing that I found that would cut the adhesive.

Once you're done with the WD, make sure you go back and re-wax the affected areas as it WILL remove any layer of protection that may have been present.

Good luck!

RP

Old 05-31-2004, 05:11 PM
Thanks for your help, I'll give it a try tonight. Stark white lettering against Dark Gray doesn't look very good. Especially when it is dealership advertising.

Old 05-31-2004, 09:25 PM
I removed all the dealer stickers and pinstriping on my truck with a heat gun. You dont need to heat it up too much, just enough to get it loose, and whatever you're taking off should come right off. Peel slowly so as to not leave too much goo behind. If there is any residue left behind, try heating it up a little bit again, and it should ball up into your finger.

If not, get some Goo-Gone, and it'll take the sticky stuff right off.

Old 06-01-2004, 12:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A hair dryer works for to loosen up those sticker so you can easily peel them off.

I would suggest going to grab 3M's Adhesive & Wax Remover as it works well. Can be found at pepboys in a small, little can.

WD-40 is a silicone in a Stoddard Solvent aka mineral spirits. That's what's breaking down the adhesive.

I have no clue what goo-gone is. The ingredients are listed as proprietary. It appears to be mainly Xylene based on something else I saw. Basically a solvent you can go buy a Home Depot.

Remember to wash and wax the area when you're done.

Last edited by Intel486; 06-01-2004 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:57 AM
3M'S Adhesive and Wax remover I believe is toluene based with some mineral spirits, WD40 has mineral spirits in it with other ingredients and I believe Intel is correct on the Goo Gone being Xylene based. All are good solvents for removing most glue and adhesive residue and labels. Another handy product that a lot of people have around the house is Coleman Camp Stove fluid. It's a fast evaporating solvent that is good for removing adhesives. Remember to use the solvents sparingly and test in an inconspicous area first, and definitely follow up with some wax as it will remove any that was on there.

A good tip for removing the plastic badges that dealers put on, is to heat the area up with a heat gun or a hair dryer, and then take some dental floss behind the badge and slowly work the badge off. A little residue that is left over can be removed with the above products.

Old 06-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In response to your original post, yes, I tried the hair drier just this morning. It worked just fine. Then again, I still have something to dry up there. Most of my friends don't have that, um, advantage. Oh, you mean using it to remove something from your truck. Never mind.

Quick Reply: Has anybody tried the hair dryer?