leather interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leather interior

Hi guys. has anyone found a good product for the seats? any thing i have tried so far just makes a mess. the leather stuff gets on the vinyl and smears all over. to much work. thanks Rick

Old 05-24-2004, 09:32 AM
Re: leather interior

Originally posted by rch662
Hi guys. has anyone found a good product for the seats? any thing i have tried so far just makes a mess. the leather stuff gets on the vinyl and smears all over. to much work. thanks Rick
Lexol for leather & Vinylex for the vinyl parts... http://www.lexol.com/newauto.html

Happy Cleaning!

Old 05-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Actually, I found a fairly inexpensive container of Meguiars One-Step leather cleaner/conditioner. It's a thick paste you put on a damp cloth, rub it in and then rub off with a dry cloth. Smells good, gets the blue jean stain out of my tan leather and doesn't leave the seat slick or oily. I found it at Wal-Mart. I was amazed how well it worked for being so inexpensive. I'll be buying that again.

Old 05-24-2004, 03:03 PM
I've been using the Mequires gold care wipes. They have kept me satisfied but i've only got black leather so i'm not sure how they clean. I use one wipe per seat then go back over them with a towel and polish off any excess. If you don't, you'll slide right out of the seat. I'm just going over both leather and vinyl with the wipes.

Old 05-24-2004, 04:28 PM
Like Sticker Steve, I've been using the Meguiars wipes as well. I have the tan leather and I think these wipes do a good job of cleaning. I've got 12000 miles on my truck since November and my seats are showing almost no wear at all. I'm a contractor and a fisherman, so I expose my seats to all kinds of nasty stuff.

Plus, the wipes come in a container that fits in my center console. A couple times a month, I reach in, pull out a wipe and two minutes later, my seats are clean again. They don't smell half bad either.

Old 05-24-2004, 04:57 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Meguiar's has a great two-step system (a cleaner and a conditioner) called Gold Class Rich Aloe Leather Cleaner and Gold Class Rich Aloe Leather Conditioner. While I don't recommend this product for uncoated leathers like the Castano Leather found inside the King Ranch, I do like these products over Lexol on coated leathers as I recently experimented with them on my leather recliner this past weekend. As far as a cleaner and conditioner is concerned, thus far, for coated leathers (like Lariat leather), it's the best I've found.

Yes, you heard me right. I've found a product that I like better for coated leathers than Lexol.

It's very important to note that if your leather is even the slightest bit dirty that you should clean and then condition. My personal opinion about 'one-step' products is that they do an okay job of conditioning and a very poor job of cleaning. You see, leather is skin (even if it's clear coated). You wouldn't attempt to condition/moisturize your skin if it was coated in vegetable oil or something of that nature. You'd first clean it to remove the gunk, and then you'd apply your lotion or something of that nature right? Leather is NO different.

The leather wipes are a great asset to keep in your glove box or console for quick touch-ups (IE: spills etc) but, I still don't think they do the job that a two-step process (like the Rich Aloe products) will do.

--- MOVED TO GENERAL CARE ---

RP

Old 05-24-2004, 08:10 PM
...great product...DO NOT USE IT for a black leather. It is great for a light leather only.............

Joe

Old 05-24-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by atvUP
...great product...DO NOT USE IT for a black leather. It is great for a light leather only.............

Joe
Help us out here bro, what product?. I've got black and inquiring minds want to know

Old 05-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Hi guys, i used the mequiars spray bottle (leather conditioner). thats the stuff that makes a mess. i keep forgetting whats leather and vinyl, also hard not to overspray on to the other panels. Rick

Old 05-24-2004, 09:12 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by atvUP

Joe
I second the motion about 'what product??'

My recliner is a very dark navy blue color and color fastness isn't a problem.

Of course, automotive leather and my recliner's leather are two different things but, they are generally tanned and manufactured in very much the same fashion.

Have you had problems?

RP

Old 05-24-2004, 09:14 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by rch662
Hi guys, i used the mequiars spray bottle (leather conditioner). thats the stuff that makes a mess. i keep forgetting whats leather and vinyl, also hard not to overspray on to the other panels. Rick
The trick is to spray it on a 100% very soft cotton terry towel and then apply the product. Even better, spray it into the palm of your hand and massage the product into the leather.

RP

Old 05-24-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Even better, spray it into the palm of your hand and massage the product

RP
Watch it RP, I know your a mod but damn bro

Old 05-24-2004, 09:21 PM
Rock I still got 4 bottles of Tanners left (conditioner and cleaner)..It may make it to trade in day. Oh yeah..there's a product that wal Mart used to sell ...it's Tanners Cleaner and conditioner..a great product..when I found out they were discontinuing the product I ran all over Dallas and bought out the rest that wall mart carried..I wish I could find who does the distribution

Old 05-24-2004, 09:39 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Sticker Steve
Watch it RP, I know your a mod but damn bro
LOL!! Seriously man. I actually do this... and **YES** I actually apply the product to the leather seating surface and not elsewhere... LMAO!!!

In my opinion it makes sense though. Think about it... you have a product that you want to apply evenly across a very porus surface. Spraying it on there surely won't cover evenly (especially if the leather is very porus and soaks the product up rapidly -- as does King Ranch Castano Leather) and, leather conditioners aren't exactly dirt cheap so, rather than having a bunch of it soaked up in a towel, why not apply nearly everything that comes out of the bottle to it's intended destination?

I know it's a bit over the edge and I'm sure I'll end up with some type of rare hand cancer from 'hand application of leather conditioning products' but, it's worth it right now. LOL!

RP

Old 05-25-2004, 04:09 PM
Question

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but.... I have a new Supercrew Lariat with the leather "trimmed" captains chairs. Can you tell me which surfaces in the truck are leather and which are vinyl? Thanks!

Quick Reply: leather interior