Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratch

Well I had a bad day today, discovered about a 2 inch "L" shaped scratch in my 04 Lariat (black), right below the 4x4 decal on the back. Took it to a body shop and they want $600 to basically sand and paint the entire back panel. Option 2 would be to carefully touch it up with a brush and hope for the best, but the estimator said he thought that it wouldn't last, and would have to be done yearly.

I really don't want to have them prep and paint the entire panel for this small a scratch... I just feel as if the that panel would be different from the rest of the truck, not OEM anymore, etc... BTW it looks like possibly bike handlebars caused it, and it is down to the primer.

Any advice/thoughts...

Old 05-19-2004, 10:14 AM
If you see metal, I personaly would want it re-painted. All the touch up in the world is not going to stop rust as it has probably already started. When they re-paint it, the part that is bare metal now will get sanded and treated for rust if necesary. This being a new truck you should try to stay on top of that stuff unless it's a lease. If that's the case, touch it up and call it a day.

Old 05-19-2004, 03:54 PM
Get a toothpick and apply touch up paint in the scratch. Let it dry overnight

Get some 2000 grit sandpaper and soak it in car wash for atleast 30min.

Carefully take the sandpaper and wet sand the area over the touch up paint.

Polish, then wax.... will look as good as new.

Quick Reply: Scratch