Magic eraser and bug guts

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magic eraser and bug guts

Just an FYI I tried the magic eraser on bug guts on the front chrome, bug shield and a couple small paint areas. It wiped all of it off with little effort. These are the same spots I previously went over while washing the car and ran out of time scrubbing, and scrubbing, and scrubbing.....

I would recommend rewaxing paint areas. I didn't see any noticable efffect on the paint other than the bug guts were gone. The chrome and bug shield are nice and shiny now.

Old 05-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the info.

Bugs are killing me right now. I'm considering one of the old-style bug screens but I can't even find one.

I've found one for just the grill but I'm more worried about the bumper and headlight areas.

Old 05-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm.... I wonder what type of effect that could have on clear coat as it is an abrasive cleaner... did you notice scuffing or anything of that nature?

RP

Old 05-13-2004, 01:11 AM
Was just going to ask about the long term effect on the paint since I know the magic eraser is abrasive.

Old 05-13-2004, 08:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not like this is the same as paint, but I have one of those fog free mirrors in the shower, and I clean it with this, and there are no scratches on it.

This is the plastic type mirror ( un breakable ), I think a Z fogless is the brand.

I figure if it was going to scratch something it would be this.

I did use it on my head lamp surround while I was cleaning the front of it last weekend, to remove some bug guts, and don't see anything straight away, but I did spot cleaning on the areas that needed it. I will say the bumper cover never looked so good !

Old 05-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, one thing they show in their ads, is removing dirt and crayon from walls. I would think that if it was going to remove or scratch paint, latex paint on a wall would come off fairly easy.
You may want to try rubbing a spot on a door pillar or some other place normally hidden.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:06 AM
Get ready

Here in the MD area we are expecting lots of cicadas, locust like bugs that will be in the millions within the next month. Better stock up on the erasers around here, these things are about 11/2" long and fly everywhere!

Old 05-13-2004, 11:49 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car paint is way different than household latex paint. If you wipe a wall with a paper towle, d oyou see scratches? Probalby not, but you do if you wipe vehicle paint with a paper towel. Huge difference.

For bugs that don't come off with a car wash, I quickly grab a clay bar while the surface has shampoo on it. Much friendlier than ME.

Old 05-13-2004, 06:20 PM
Don't use the ME on paint, it will DEF. scratch. All your going to do is drag any dirt and bug guts across the paint and you will see swirls/scratches galore.

I use a pressure washer to remove them, whatever is left I use a bug and tar remover or S&W.

Old 05-13-2004, 11:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by RANCH4x4ES
Don't use the ME on paint, it will DEF. scratch. All your going to do is drag any dirt and bug guts across the paint and you will see swirls/scratches galore.
Uummmm... No it does not.

I did use it on the painted headlamp surround ( from a L ) on my truck, and it did not scratch it at all.
I just checked again with a hallogen light, and no scratches or swirls what so ever.

Old 05-14-2004, 01:17 AM
I've tried it too, on the front lip of my hood that takes a lot of hits from love bugs flying around and it left micro-marring where the bug residue was splattered.

Old 05-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Good info on here...but I have always used just plain water in a sprayer bottle.

I just spray the area I want clean of bugs, and wait for about 5 minutes (respraying the area if it starts to dry up) and wipe clean. Works great for me!! I do this on my bikes and my L. My bike is a 1990 with over 42 thousand, and it still looks like I just road her off the showroom floor. (some say better than new)

BTW the bike is black&red, the truck is DSG.

MM

Quick Reply: Magic eraser and bug guts