Making My Paint Look New!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Making My Paint Look New!!!!!!

Ok...this summer me and some freinds r going to work on my truck. i have a 1997 f150 4x4 4.6l 4x4 extended cab. I have 2 tone paint (red/grey w/ a dark grey/graphite line in the upper part of the grey) I have some psots on my hood where the paint is like bubbled up n theres a spot in the middle with rusted metal ( they are very small n theres about 6 of them all over the hood) Also on the right side theres a long like scratch or sumpting on the molding that runs down the side where paint is missing but its white under it. Under the molding like where the red transfers to grey there sum grey paint that looks like it got chipped off or sumptin but there is red paint under it(this goes thru the dark grey line) On the Tailgate theres scratch and a dent near the top. On the tailgate handle n on sum of the interior theres white sports( it kind of looks like paint). I want to make my truck look like it has new paint on it w/ depth, color and great shinnyness! What would be the steps we need to take and the prodects that we need to use to make my truck look new!? thanks A LOT!!!

Last edited by LB51; 05-09-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Please lend some help guys!

Old 05-22-2004, 10:12 PM
First, pick up the phone and call a good Body Shop. Next, take the truck to them and have them address the dents and rust, and then lay down some new paint.

You've got issues that go way beyond the bounds of detailing (i.e. rust, dents, scratches through to the primer, etc). Detailing might improve the looks of the truck some, but it will never "make it look like it has new paint on it" like you want.

I'm sure this wasn't the answer you wanted, but it's the only way the truck will look the way you want it to.

-Mike-

Old 05-22-2004, 10:49 PM
Even if you buff the whole truck out that wouldn't do anything?

Old 05-23-2004, 08:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by LB51
Even if you buff the whole truck out that wouldn't do anything?
Not for rust, dents or bubbled up paint. Maybe even running a DA polisher over the bubbled up paint would take it off that area, letting another part for rust to start ( if it is not under there already ).

You can go to a bunch of work to polish and wax the truck, but the rust, dents, and bubbled up paint will still be there, and now you would need to strip the wax prior to painting.

The title kind of set the stage for the replies :
Making My Paint Look New!!!!!!

Even after your 2nd post to bring it to the top again, I was trying to avoid answering, but this is like chroming a bent wheel, or tinting a broken window. BigDeal gave you the best advice for the condition of the paint.

The scratches on the trim sound like they are gouges in the trim, and the plastic is showing through. You could re-paint them, but that won't take care of the missing material. See where this is going ? Bent wheel, broken window ???

Sorry but unless you are after a dented truck with bubled up paint and rust that has some polished and waxed paint around these defects, a body shop is the answer.

Old 05-23-2004, 08:45 AM
The paints great toher than those spots...its shinny, has depth, and is a solid color....im just trying to fix those spots that theres problems with.

Quick Reply: Making My Paint Look New!!!!!!