Removing Wax From Plastic and Rubber Trim

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Removing Wax From Plastic and Rubber Trim

Two words: Magic Eraser!

Here are some before and after photos prooving that this is the way to go! No more peanut butter or crappy ways to cover the wax residue up!! REMOVE IT!

BEFORE

Note the white residue on the rubber seal... that white residue is Meguiar's #83....

continued in next post...

Old 05-08-2004, 09:48 PM
Moderator &

AFTER

Old 05-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Moderator &

Needless to say, the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser has earned a spot on my shelf along side my other products. Also, I've noted that this product works INCREDIBLY WELL at removing wax from hard plastic and also vinyl running boards (among other things!)

Why cover up your wax residue with silly items like peanut butter or mask them with products like "Back to Black" or "Trim Detailer"? This removes the wax!!!!!!

RP

Old 05-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UNBELIEVABLE!! CAN'T WAIT TO TRY IT LATER THIS WEEK!!! GREAT JOB RP, AS ALWAYS!!

Old 05-09-2004, 12:07 AM
did you use them wet or dry?

Old 05-09-2004, 12:17 AM
Moderator &

The ME was used as described in the directions.... WET.

Old 05-09-2004, 02:44 AM
...remember when...

RP, remember when I was gripeing about NTX staining the trim on my tailgate handle....I wonder if the Magic Eraser can take this off.

I solved that problem fast...........

Old 05-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Excellent tip RP............. If I every get any wax on my trim, (cough! cough! ) I'll be sure to give them a try. My wife has some of those Magic Erasers around the house right now.............. maybe I should "purposely" got out and put some wax on the trim to see how they work!

Seriously, have you tired cleaning wax residue off those large black rubber moldings at the bottom of the SuperCrew/KR windows?

Old 05-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Moderator &

Re: ...remember when...

Originally posted by TonyPTX
RP, remember when I was gripeing about NTX staining the trim on my tailgate handle....I wonder if the Magic Eraser can take this off.
I'd bet that it would! But, didn't we determine that it wasn't the NXT but rather the #9?

RP

Old 05-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Boss_429
Seriously, have you tired cleaning wax residue off those large black rubber moldings at the bottom of the SuperCrew/KR windows?
I didn't have any wax on those Boss! LOL! I just had some on the small rubber strip that runs vertically on the edge of the windows from trying to bring the PC down that painted strip between the doors.... needless to say, I didn't have good control and got it all over the seal!

My guess is that it'd have no problem removing that wax on the large rubber moldings but, you may have to 'magic eraser' all of the area of the molding to make it look uniform. The reason I say this is because I did a small test area on my running boards and it cleaned that small area so well that I had to do it over the entire length to make it all look the same.

SIDENOTE
One important thing that I've noted is that the Magic Eraser cleans by abrasion. In short, you're removing a thin layer of what ever you're cleaning in order to make the scuff, stain, etc, go away. So, with that in mind, I wouldn't get too overzealous going after tough stains and such. It definately worked for removing a very small amount of polish off of a rubber seal but, I definately wouldn't recommend trying to remove something off of a painted surface...

RP

Old 05-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yesterday I took off some wax that had been a a piece of plastic trim for about 3 years on my dad's truck. I had tried numerous things including Wax blaster, without being able to get it off.

The Magic Eraser took it off completly, and even cleaned the trim up to suff for like new ( 11 year old work truck that has lived it's entire life out side ).

After RP said he used this to clean his running boards, I went after that nasty part on the antenna base where I could not completly get it off, and it's gone !!

RP that was one of the best suggestions that you ever gave me to try in the other thread. Glad you tried cleaning your running boards with it, to start with.

Thanks again for suggesting I try this the other day.

Old 05-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by SSCULLY
RP that was one of the best suggestions that you ever gave me to try in the other thread. Glad you tried cleaning your running boards with it, to start with.
I certainly can't take credit for it (but I can't remember who could either). I read somewhere on here, autopia, meguiarsonline.com, or showcargarage (or maybe even detailcity) that someone tried it on some vinyl and had HUGE success with it...

Glad I could pass on some good information though... it's definately an item I'll keep in my aresonal!

RP

Old 05-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Is it re-usable?

From the looks of the photos, it looks like fancy play-doh or clay. I would assume that after a few uses, you have to pitch it and get a new one?

Tony

Old 05-09-2004, 09:18 PM
Moderator &

The piece that you see in the picture was utilized on both sides of the truck (pass/driver) on most all of the rubber trim around the windows (minus the large rubber piece at the bottom). A little goes a long way and then you trash it. At $3 for two larger size pads, it's a bargain!

RP

Old 05-09-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Boss_429

The magic eraser cleans those moldings like a charm, I cleaned all the wax from the plastic pieces this weekend when I washed my truck. Now I'm considering giving waxing it a shot again now that I can get all the white marks off. When I first did it a little while ago I got wax on everything--and it didn't come off.

Quick Reply: Removing Wax From Plastic and Rubber Trim