R.P. Rotary's ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R.P. Rotary's ?

I see you used them at your class...What did you think of them...I don't think my PC is cuting it on some of my projects...I'm looking at the Dewalt 849 and the Makita 9227....Opinions ?

Old 04-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll be honest with you, I'm looking for opinions on both products as well.

I used both during the class and, honestly, found the Dewalt to be a more 'sturdy' feeling machine but, they say that the Makitas are excellent as well...

Anyone want to chime in?

Old 04-25-2004, 06:16 PM
I've use both the new Makita 9227, and the Dewalt 849. The Dewalt is heavier than the Makita. In a electric rotary, I prefer the extra weight................. that why I like the Milwaukee 5460 which is heavier than both the Makita, and the Dewalt. I like the weight and balance of the Milwaukee!

You won't go wrong with any of them though!

Old 04-25-2004, 08:09 PM
Moderator &

Thanks Boss.

Old 04-25-2004, 11:02 PM
Moderator &

Hey Boss (or anyone)...

Heard of any deals going on with any of the aforementioned rotaries?

RP

Old 04-26-2004, 09:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have been considering the new Makita BO6040 dual mode polisher. Comes with a flexiable 6" backup plate, but uses metric thread if you are looking to change the backup plate size.

This is a DA in one mode, and you turn it off, flip a lever and turn it on, it is now a rotary polisher, that still has a bit of jiggle to it.
Specs :
1,600 - 5,800 OPM in DA mode.
180 - 670 RPM in rotary mode.

They are more pricey then the straight rotary polishers, but you get the low TQ start up motor, and a speed selector that works in both modes. 259.99 is the best price I have found so far at TylerTool.com.

Nice part is when you find something that needs fixing, you can keep using the same pad that is on it ( if you are using the same level polish ), switch back and keep going. Less pads to clean up.

Just another option to look at, or at least what I have been looking at myself.

Good god, I need an electrical problem to challenge me, or the weather to cooperate ( for my bikes ) so I stop jacking around with this stuff

Old 04-26-2004, 09:48 AM
RP,

Well, I know you are still a little pissed at Coastal tools, because they didn't send you an extra backing plate or something with your PC. However, they still have great prices. The Dewalt 849 is priced at 159.99. A lot of places sell them "reconditioned" at that price.

Don't forget, you'll need the H & L backing plate (around $20)

They have the Makita 9227 with the H & L plate, and a couple of pads for 179.00

The Milwaukee is more expensive (189.99)

SSCULLY,

I've heard some "breakage" complaints about that new Makita dual mode polisher. I think the concept is great, but you might want to wait until they've perfect it............ just a thought?

Old 04-26-2004, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Boss_429
SSCULLY,

I've heard some "breakage" complaints about that new Makita dual mode polisher. I think the concept is great, but you might want to wait until they've perfect it............ just a thought?
I heard similar complaints about the 9.6V electric drills back in 1989, when they first came out. I still have the same one, wich has had more then the crap beat out of it. I chalked it up to people switching the gear box at the wrong time ( i.e. not following directions ).

Now this maybe a different issue, such as a new to market issue, but I have a Makita center right by my house ( same with DeWalt and PC, the DeWalt being the closest ), so it is not that big of a deal if it craps out in the first 12 months. It the complaints on the street are here already, then they are warr covered items, as this has not been out that long.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:37 PM
Think we can get a GP on a rotary,Maybe linked into detailing sites Meguiars,Autopia Etc...? I found out the Dewalt does not come with a case...You can get a kit with the Makita that has a pretty nice bag and a couple pads...Ideas?

Old 04-27-2004, 02:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the Makita 9227C.

It's a good unit and I really like it. It took me some time to get use to the loop handle but now that I got use to it I couldn't make the change. I also don't want a big heavy unit especially if you ever have to detail a boat. You'll be holding it above your head a good bit of time.

Old 05-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Intel486
I also don't want a big heavy unit especially if you ever have to detail a boat. You'll be holding it above your head a good bit of time.
Hmm, a good point as well. Thanks Intel! I'm probably going to order it this weekend but, I'm still looking for opinions!

RP

Old 05-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Just got my Maki from coastal tool. Very fast shipping...

Old 05-05-2004, 11:01 PM

got back in town, and my Makita BO6040 was waiting for me.

Have not had a lot of stick time on it yet, but I will say it is one nice DA and Rotary buffer.

The low TQ startup motor is really nice, when compared to the PC and Cyclo startup ( PC with the 6" counter weight ). It is heavier then the PC, but about on par with the Cyclo that I have put numerous "miles" on in the past 5 years.

Once I get some serious stick time, I can do a better comparison to the Cyclo and PC, but for now it is nice to have anew toy to play with.

Old 05-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by ROUSHFAN-1
Just got my Maki from coastal tool. Very fast shipping...
Tried that out yet? SSCULLY, have you tried yours?

Give me some opinions guys!

Rousch, did yours come with the bag and two pads as well?

RP

Old 05-09-2004, 10:54 PM

RP,
I got a bit more stick time with it, taking scratches and swirls out of my Corian top in the downstairs bathroom

It worked great. I need to get a few more covers for it to give it the once over. I have to do my Mom's bumper, someone did the pull up smak in a parkng lot, and left marks all over it. Fre are missing paint, the others I went as far as I could with the Power Pad on Dad's PC. I might try the 6" power pad in rotary mode first, before going with a compunding or polishing cover for it.

I'll let you know, I might have time next weekend to do it.

things were pressed this weekend, installing a microwave range hood for a friend for his wife, and taking mom out SAT night for mother's day. I'm at the Red Carpet club right now waiting on my flight out.

Later Bro,

sms

Quick Reply: R.P. Rotary's ?