RP - Give us news from the Meguiars class!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RP - Give us news from the Meguiars class!!

So what have you learned at your class that we dont know yet? Anything else we should run out and buy before they discontinue it? Hopefully you asked for a discount for you fellow brothers and sisters at F150online!!! Give us good news Rock!!!

Old 04-22-2004, 12:00 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm...

The biggest shake up in the product line is definately within the Detailer Line of products. With upcoming volatile organic compound (VOC) laws that are rolling down the pipe and soon to be implemented within California, Meguiar's was forced to dramatically change some products in order to comply. In short, nearly every product within the line is changing to some extent. Most, as well, are changing names. I can safely tell you this.... if you like Engine Coat, Wire Wheel Cleaner, or Citri-Gel products, you need to go find some as they're scraping all three products and they really don't have a replacement for them. April 26th is the last day that Meguiar's will have these available for purchase from them. The new products will begin shipping that day as well.

The new Detailer Line includes some VERY impressive products. I can say this first hand as we used ALL of them today in class on a 2003 SAAB that we worked upon. I'll spin a thread here in the coming days explaining many of the new products as well as what they're replacing, dilution ratios that can and should be used, etc...

One question that many already have is about Final Detail. Personally, this is my overall favorite product available from Meguiar's as a corporation. Unfortunately, it has changed but, after playing with it today, I think it's better (minus the scent). I didn't believe it when they said it provided an even slicker finish but, after hitting the SAAB after a full NXT treatment, I believe it. In fact, I know it. I LOVE FD but, the new 'Last Touch Detailer' will be a hit and win over most all of the FD lovers on the first try. Further, it's still cheap. (less than $20/gal).

Watch for the thread and I'll get it up ASAP.

RP

Old 04-22-2004, 12:06 AM
Moderator &

Oh yeah, Detailer Line clay is gone as well.

Old 04-22-2004, 06:38 AM
Well, that's a shame that some of those products are going away. However, if it helps the enviroment.............. so much the better.

I'll miss the Citri-Gel.............. hope they come out with an alternative for it.

Sure hope they haven't taken the "POP" out of the FD either.

Old 04-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Boss_429
Well, that's a shame that some of those products are going away. However, if it helps the enviroment.............. so much the better.

I'll miss the Citri-Gel.............. hope they come out with an alternative for it.

Hey Boss. I'm with you, I hope FD doesn't change too much. I've really grown to like the stuff.

Disclaimer: Although this next comment is gonna sound a whole lot like a bad attitude on my part, I'm gonna share it anyway. The government regulators need to grab a clue (as usual). Large industrial outfits, you know, the ones with all the high dollar lobbyists, do more in a day to damage the planet than all the detailing products combined for the year. I'd view these recent changes that Meg's has to adhere to, to be kinda like the government trying to put out a forest fire by using Dixie cups full of water.

Ahhh, the government, God love em.

-Mike-

Old 04-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Moderator &

It still pops pretty loud but, we weren't utilizing the 'final' product as they still had to tweak the fragrance. I liked it just as well as FD.

RP

Old 04-22-2004, 11:42 PM
Ok......so here is my "grocery" list for this weekend.....let me know if I forgot anything:

Engine-kote
Citri-gel
FD

I will have to check their website and see if they have them dirt cheap on the 26th. Hopefully they will try and get rid of it all by slashing prices.

Old 04-23-2004, 02:22 AM
Hey RockPick or anyone else that has the answers...

Was hoping I could get you to answer a few questions for me. I've never dealt with wax before, my husband waxes my truck for me. But I know if I suggest waxing it more than once in the same day he's gonna have a stroke. So I, being really new to the whole thing, am totally confused by all the products you guys use. My husband uses Meguiar's #26 and when called for he uses their swirl remover. Now you guys talk about clay and NXT, among other things. My trucks finish is pretty smooth, a little oxidization on the hood but nothing serious and a few superficial brush scrapes on the sides. I would like to have the high glossy shine I've seen on trucks here in these forums. How do you guys do that? What is the "official" sequence of events to get that mirror like glaze?

Thanks for your help!!

Old 04-23-2004, 08:42 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by wild-mtn-rose
What is the "official" sequence of events to get that mirror like glaze?
Hey wild-mtn-rose...

I'm at work right now but, I'll try to either find a good sequence of events and suggest some products that have already been discussed or I'll simply write you a new one tonight. In the mean time, be aware that every finish might require something different and that everyone will have an opinion on this. Many opinions will be similar and many will be 'left-wing'.

Hang tight...

RP

Old 04-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Moderator &

A few pics...

Old 04-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Rockpick,

Nice pics.
I noticed that they taped of the trunk lid seam. Do they do that on the hoods, too?

It looks like you are having a "vacation fantasy" fulfilled.
Good for you. Are you going to start wearing the apron around at home?

Thanks for all of the Meguiars product information. We appreciate it.

John

Old 04-23-2004, 11:53 AM
RP,

Excellent pics! Just to think............. a couple of months ago you were "concerned" about using a PC............ now you're "whipping" that rotary around like an old pro!

Ya never know just how far, or where these detailng adventures will take you!

Congrats!

Old 04-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by JohnAndDar
Rockpick,

Nice pics.
I noticed that they taped of the trunk lid seam. Do they do that on the hoods, too?

It looks like you are having a "vacation fantasy" fulfilled.
Good for you. Are you going to start wearing the apron around at home?

Thanks for all of the Meguiars product information. We appreciate it.

John
Thanks John! We only taped the trunk so that our instructor couldn't breathe while we had him trapped in there. Nothing more.

Yeah, we taped the hood too as the body lines were so incredibly uneven.

Odd that you ask about the apron, my wife said nearly the same thing. LOL!

RP

Old 04-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Moderator &

RP,

Excellent pics! Just to think............. a couple of months ago you were "concerned" about using a PC............ now you're "whipping" that rotary around like an old pro!

Ya never know just how far, or where these detailng adventures will take you!

Congrats!
Thanks Boss! I'll be buying a rotary very soon. I held out entirely too long on a PC... I'll be darned if I'm going to miss out on the power of a rotary.

It's definately a scary tool in the hands of someone that doesn't know what they're doing as you can REALLY screw up some paint in VERY short order. I still don't have copius amounts of confidence with it but, after twirling it around for 3 days in a row, I feel MUCH more confident with it. Mind you, that was a wool pad and #84 in that picture. (*note the sanding marks on the trunk lid*).

RP

Old 04-24-2004, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
Hey wild-mtn-rose...

I'm at work right now but, I'll try to either find a good sequence of events and suggest some products that have already been discussed or I'll simply write you a new one tonight. In the mean time, be aware that every finish might require something different and that everyone will have an opinion on this. Many opinions will be similar and many will be 'left-wing'.

Hang tight...

RP
Thanks RP, I'll look forward to hearing any advice you can give me. I know there are many different products and just as many people who advocate them. I'm just kinda lost when it comes to the job of waxing so any help is greatly appreciated. The finish on my truck is just the factory teal paint and clearcoat, nothing aftermarket. I am extremely impressed with Meguiar's products so I'd like to stick to their line.

Thanks again!! w-m-r

Quick Reply: RP - Give us news from the Meguiars class!!