Exterior mirror

Old 04-18-2004, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Exterior mirror

My driver side exterior mirror really shakes when I drive. I want to get inside it and see if I can tighten anything. I have a 2000 ext. cab. Does the colored back of the mirror snap off? Or is there another way inside that mirror assembly...

Old 04-19-2004, 04:01 AM
Do you have the electric mirrors? I have a 2000 extended cab also. Mine is equipped with electric mirrors and my drivers side mirror glass got cracked so we had to replace it. As far as I know the colored back does not come off. To take the mirror off you need a special tool that slips into the small space around the mirror and pops the fasteners loose. The tool looks like a standard screwdriver with a notch cut in the tip and a bend in the shaft. And it is a huge pain in the rear to get in there and get at those clips. We ended up taking it to the dealer and having them replace it because we didn't have the cute little tool and couldn't find out where to buy one. My husband tried to fashion one himself but we just couldn't get it to work right. The clips that hold the mirror in place are plastic and when the dealer removed my mirror they discovered that a couple of them were broken so we replaced the entire assembly. I didn't notice any vibration in the mirror prior to replacing it but it could be that some of your clips are broken...

Good luck, hope you get it fixed!

Last edited by wild-mtn-rose; 04-19-2004 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
While I don't recall seeing anything on the back of the mirror to tighten, the glamor caps can be removed carefully, as the 4 clips are plastic. I removed my chrome ones, and installed black painted ones.

-----from another post I did a while back ----------
There are 4 plastic tabs on the glamor cap ( cover ).

If you move the mirror all the way to the lower left ( all the way left and down ) , you will see a tab and slot at about the 1:00 position ( maybe 12:30 ). release that tab with a long skinny screw driver.

Then repeat the move the mirror for the one at the 11:30 position, the 6:30 position and 5:30 positions. Total of 4, 2 top and 2 bottom.
-----from another post I did a while back ----------

If you want the directions to remove the mirror head completly, to check if it is the bolts in the sail :
http://www.muthco.com/
-> look up your year and trim, and download the directions to replace the glass ( shows the complete process ).
I put the Muth mirrors in straight away, as I did not have the Ford signal mirrors on my XLT.

There are a few other posts on mirror vibration, but I think these were more so the entrie mirror head vibrating, not just the glass.

Good luck

Old 04-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exterior mirror