Wax without the white plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wax without the white plastic?

Is there a wax that I can use that I don't have to worry about it turning the plastic white?

As it is, I am addicted to blue painter's tabe to tape off the mirrors, bed caps and wiper cowl, but that takes almost as much work as the waxing itself.

I am about ready to stop waxing this thing because its just a PITA.

Old 04-11-2004, 08:42 AM
P21S, Pinnacle Souveran, Trade Secret, Natty's wax seem to work fine, with little staining.

Zaino and NXT don't stain.

Old 04-11-2004, 10:01 AM
One of the ones Boss mentions, Zaino is what I use. One of the reasons is because it “don’t” stain plastic at all. I am still careful but do get some on the plastic at times and never had it ever stain. The other reasons I use Zaino is because you don’t need to use a buffer with it and the fact that it last quit a while.

I would think the NXT would be the same as well as far as advantages. Maybe some one could chime in about if using a buffer helps the shine with NXT at all. I know with Zaino a buffer does not do any thing, if very little, for the shine.

Old 04-12-2004, 12:08 AM
NTX will stain (either that or there is residue in need to scrub out).

I accidently put some NTX over my tail gate handle and tried to wipe it off. It seemed to go away until the next weekend when I noticed it again on the tailgate handle. This time I hit it w/ some Poorboy's Trim Restorer and it seemed to do the trick until the Poorboy's wore off and now I have that white residue again.....

TonyPTX

Old 04-12-2004, 11:56 AM
tsc
I wax like I drive (heavy on the leaded side). So my trim looks more white then black. I wait for the wax to dry, then I use a drafting eraser (the white ones from Staples). It takes the wax right off. I know it does'nt quite answer your question, but if you do get wax on your trim it works.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:49 PM
pw1981, I use the blue tape also.

Old 04-15-2004, 04:05 PM
Zaino does stain, I can show you the stains on my bed caps and wiper cowl. It gets into the texture. I need to detail now that warm weather is here. I use NAPAs Prep-sol to remove the stains.

Old 04-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Staining trim is a big hazard on BMW's.
My favorite wax was Blitz wax but it stained the trim.
I tried P21S and got equal or better shine results and it will NOT stain the trim.
As a rule, you are better off missing small areas around the trim and/or be very careful rather than wax hastily and hit the trim.
This is why I usually wax on a different day than the cleaning and polishing as you get lazy when tired and near the end of the whole process.

Old 04-20-2004, 05:04 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zaino Z5 does stick to the plastic, but Z2 does not in my experience.

Skip the taping and get a decetn wax. I now mainly use S100 which is at least simialr to P21s, maybe the same. I can apply and remove a coat of S100 to my Supercrew in about 20 minutes. I spend a lot more time washing and preping for wax.

Old 04-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm really careful when applying my Zaino, but I have been experimenting with a slightly easier preventative step than masking tape. I've been wiping some 303 Protectant on all of those pesky plastic surfaces before I apply any Zaino. So far, life has been good. It seems to both prevent the Zaino from getting where it shouldn't be as well as being good for the plastic.

Old 04-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by TonyPTX
NTX will stain (either that or there is residue in need to scrub out).

I accidently put some NTX over my tail gate handle and tried to wipe it off. It seemed to go away until the next weekend when I noticed it again on the tailgate handle. This time I hit it w/ some Poorboy's Trim Restorer and it seemed to do the trick until the Poorboy's wore off and now I have that white residue again.....

TonyPTX
Hey Tony. Do you think that you have the white residue because you had a little too much product in that area? I'm not trying to be fecicious or anything like that...

I've been utilizing a PC to apply NXT. I've intentionally tried to haze some porus plastic surfaces and, to date, I've been unable to do it. I just wonder if the pad was over saturated or something like that. Dunno. Just thinking out loud I suppose.

RP

Old 04-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by APT
I now mainly use S100 which is at least simialr to P21s, maybe the same.
They are the same.
S100 is marketed towards the motorcycle community.

Old 04-21-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Hey Tony. Do you think that you have the white residue because you had a little too much product in that area? I'm not trying to be fecicious or anything like that...

I've been utilizing a PC to apply NXT. I've intentionally tried to haze some porus plastic surfaces and, to date, I've been unable to do it. I just wonder if the pad was over saturated or something like that. Dunno. Just thinking out loud I suppose.

RP
Highly probable as my first experience w/ NTX was applied by hand and I tend to be generous w/ the wax application. Of course I wiped down any "accidents" immediately before it even has time to cure. Maybe I should just let it sit for 15 minutes and see if it buffs out?

Tony

Old 04-21-2004, 11:12 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting Tony. Even if you had a 'glob' on the handle and then followed back up, rapidly, to remove that glob, I wouldn't expect it to whiten the plastic on it. Like I said, I've tried to do it and haven't been successful.

I doubt letting it go 15+ minutes would make any big difference. The only problem with removing a larger, more dense, layer of NXT on plastic while wet would be that you'd create a thinner, more even layer in the place of the larger volume. In my head, that would be easier to remove.

I'm stumped.

Anyone else had problems with NXT on plastic? Heck, I've even smeared it on the ever so popular 'window moldings' that everyone is smacking Jiffy on to cover their mistakes with other products and I, again, had no problems.

RP

Old 04-22-2004, 03:48 PM
i have heard that bug and tar remover will get the white off. havent tried it yet, but will soon.

Quick Reply: Wax without the white plastic?