How often do you wax your trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How often do you wax your trucks?

I waxed my truck about 2 weeks ago with NXT and overlayed with #26. What is a good average time to rewax. I'm sure it depends on weather and such but here in MS, we don't have a lot of odd weather patterns except for hot and humid. So what do you think. GS

Old 03-30-2004, 09:11 AM
what color paint?

Old 03-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's really going to be up to you... if you're wanting the paint to 'continously pop', then more wax, more often would be necessary.

This is the catergory that I fall into...

I have recently started utilizing the same system that you described above (NXT/#26) and love the results. I've had NXT on the truck now for a few weeks and I applied another coat of #26 about a week after doing the initial coating. Did I need it? No... did it add to the 'pop'... yes.

If you're not in that catergory, you're going to have to rely on your best judgement to make sure that you have a solid level of protection on your truck. Different environmental conditions such as sun, rain, cats, and several other factors will influence how long a protective coating will last. If you see that the bead or sheeting action is gone, it's probably time to reapply to make sure that your protection level is kosher.

Another fine way to stay in the first catergory is to utilize a quality detailing spray or booster wax on occasion. Personally, I love Meguiar's Final Detail spray as a 'duster' to add additional 'pop'. You might consider utilizing NXT Spray Wax after your washes to add a 'booster' to your wax coating as well...

These are just a few thoughts that might aid in making your detailing experience more fulfilling...

RP

Old 03-30-2004, 10:36 AM
I've only had my truck a few weeks now and have only gotten one coatof NXT on it thus far, but here are my plans for the next few weeks:

This weekend, weather permitting, I will either do another complete washing or just a quick detail prior to getting a second coat of NXT on the truck. Another week or two after that, I'll do another washing and get a topcoat of #26 on the truck. Then I just plan to take it as it comes. I would hope these four coats would get me off to a running start with the summer heat (if it ever gets here to Jersey) but expect I'll need to reapply at some point.

I definitely want the truck to pop, and nothing makes it pop more than a fresh coat of wax. That's why I likely never be one who does multiple coats on the same day, or even on the same weekend. I prefer to spread the pop out over a longer period by applying coats of wax over a longer period of time, which means that there is almost always a fresh coat on (worse case) every 4-6 weeks.

Again, this is just based on my current plans...I need to see how the True Blue holds up in the summer heat. Also, having never used NXT or #26 before myself, I also need to get a better feel for these products themselves. I also need to see how happy I am with the look after just using a quick detail spray on wax that is a few weeks old.

Not sure if this helps or not...I guess when it comes down to it, as Rock said, it is really up to you as a user.

P.S. My wife thinks I am totally insane...so keep the significant other in mind when allocating your waxing time!

Old 03-30-2004, 11:07 AM
Thanks guys, as for the first question, its white with Arizona beige bottom.
RP, I think I'll fall in that catagory also. I was just wanting to make sure that I wasn't going to mess up something by waxing again. You also mentioned that you applied another coat of 26 recently. That was another concern. I was not sure if I needed to strip the truck before rewaxing. But from what I'm understanding, I don't have to. I can just wash with and NXT wash or something like that and then just reapply the #26. Am I correct with this assumption. Can you get a wax "build up" if you do that too many times or does the normal wear keep that from happening as long as you don't overdo it as in too often? I would like to keep a fresh coat on the truck about every 4-5 weeks. Do I need to wash the truck with Dawn before I reapply the NXT every now and then? This trucks stays in the sun and is never under a roof. So I just want to make sure that the finish stays in good shape. Sorry once again for the newbie questions.....Thanks for your patience though. GS

FX, when are you going to post some pics of the new truck? I like the TB color on those trucks. Sure are pretty when they are clean. I would have rathered a nice blue but they didn't offer it. But, white is pretty forgiving it seems with small scratches and such. GS

Last edited by wheelgunner; 03-30-2004 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by wheelgunner

FX, when are you going to post some pics of the new truck? I like the TB color on those trucks. Sure are pretty when they are clean. I would have rathered a nice blue but they didn't offer it. But, white is pretty forgiving it seems with small scratches and such. GS
I know I know...I've been remiss in my duties! Couldn't lift my arms after all the cleaning and waxing this weekend!

If I get the second coat on, I'll post some pics...all I have right now are the ones I took the day I brough the truck home and, quite frankly, I did a much better job cleaning the truck than the dealer did!

Old 03-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by FX4Me
...I did a much better job cleaning the truck than the dealer did!
Isn't it pathetic what they do to 'prep' the vehicles for delivery? I've seen picture after picture after picture that highlight what *SOME* dealers have done to vehicles before the buyer took delivery. Swirls, scratches, and hazes are all VERY common before the buyer takes delivery... It's sad...it really is.

RP

Old 03-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm one of "those Zaino guys" and I put a coat (or two, or three) on my Oxford White truck about every other month. It's not that it absolutely requires it (still beads water), but it adds what RockPick rightly calls "pop." I did three coats this past weekend in the space of about 3 hours and the results are well worth it. Wow!

Old 03-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Isn't it pathetic what they do to 'prep' the vehicles for delivery? I've seen picture after picture after picture that highlight what *SOME* dealers have done to vehicles before the buyer took delivery. Swirls, scratches, and hazes are all VERY common before the buyer takes delivery... It's sad...it really is.

RP
At least I had no swirls or paint damage to report on delivery...just was not as "spiffy" as I would have liked. My fave was the muddy footprint or two in the bed of the truck on the bedmat I ordered for it. At least they did not charge me for the bedmat...either by mistake or intentionally.

Bedmat looks great now after a coat of NXT protectant!

Old 03-30-2004, 07:22 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by FX4Me
...looks great now after a coat of NXT protectant!
I'm anxious to give my NXT Protectant a whirl. I have it but haven't tried it yet...

RP

Quick Reply: How often do you wax your trucks?