How to buy a new/used vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speepdaedeesi
ON BRAND NEW VEHICLES..... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GOOD DEAL. YOU EITHER KNOW THE ROCK BOTTOM PRICE, OR YOU DONT.

I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE SAY THEY GOT A GOOD DEAL, OR THEY WANT A GOOD DEAL.

THERE IS NO GOOD DEAL.

YOU DECIDE HOW MUCH EXTRA YOU PAY.
iseedeadpeeps,
LOL well hell i hope i got a good deal...i went threw military car sales

is what u said included with military car sales( which is only overseas i belive) or sense its factory direct not really included?

i know there was still a sales man

Old 03-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by speepdaedeesi
you really have to educate yourself when buying a new vehicle.

ON BRAND NEW VEHICLES..... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GOOD DEAL. YOU EITHER KNOW THE ROCK BOTTOM PRICE, OR YOU DONT.
The internet really helps when getting educated.

nice post.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Here is what my current deal is: I am trading my 2008 xlt loaded and they want to give me 23500, this is the sticker:

It comes down to me getting the car at 29500-23500 for mine. Good deal?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:04 PM
If I am to buy a used truck my golden rule is to NEVER buy a truck from a guy in his 20s or early 30s. They probably beat the heck out if it. Instead I look for the old timer that most likely didn't fo off road and doing donuts in a parking lot. Hope that helps.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:44 PM
I disagree on the fact that all dealers pay the same price for new vehicles. That is not necessarily true. Volume has a lot to do with it. High volume dealers tend to get a lot of "dealer money" from the manufacturers, especially on models they (the MFGer) are trying to move quickly. Nobody at the dealership is going to tell you that a particular vehicle has the "dealer money". Only the manager and sometimes the salespersons know that.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Good information here. I have a question regarding the ordering of a brand new truck. I know you can probably get a "better deal" on a new truck that is sitting on the lot, as the dealership is looking to move those off as quick as possible. But what about building one online and then shopping it around with your local "internet sales managers" at multiple dealerships to see who can get you the best price? I've never ordered a truck before, but I'm strongly considering doing so with my next truck. Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Chris,

I've ordered a couple of vehicles in the past. The key for me was having contacts at the dealerships in the commercial fleet area that could get me as good of a deal as they would have on a vehicle that was on the lot. Although you could go through the itnernet department order your vehicle fairly easily, I'm not sure how accessible true fleet staff are without commercial contacts. Who knows, things may be different now.

The bummer about ordering is waiting. In both of my cases, it took 4-6 months to get the car. It was hard for me to grasp, given the volume of cars built, but you have to "get in line". Both experiences worked out good though, so good luck.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Great read, will come in handy for the 2011's.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Canada there is a car buying service......just remove salesman completely from the equation!......

www.bestpriceexpress.ca

Old 01-26-2011, 09:44 AM
One thing to remember as well.

The price you negotiate with the salesman and manager is NOT the final price. They can actually add fees and charges in with the financing.

Know your state laws and x-plan laws and do not let them go over these numbers.

I have sold cars at or below invoice just to get the person in the car. Then they go to finance and jack up the processing fees and paperwork fees to cover the loss.

I had a one guy come in and take the first offer we qouted him. Made it to finance and saw the numbers. Then walked out saying his wife would kill him if he bought the car without her. Came back in a few months later and negotiated for invoice. When we went to finance, they tried to jack the numbers up on him and he pulled out the sheet from the first sale try and asked why they were so much higher this time.

He was a ex-salesman as well in another state and his dealership did the same thing.

So just when you think your getting a good deal. Dont let your guard down. There are other fees that can screw you over too.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:18 PM
This was an AMAZING read! Unfortunately I did it 3 months too late =(. Back in August I leased an '11 xlt for $335 a month. Since it was my first lease I didnt haggle too much except about the interest rate and my monthly payment. I just need to know, am I totally screwed in 3 years when I go to trade this in as far as getting a good or better lease deal? If I buy the truck after 3 years is there any deal when I go to re finance? As you can tell I know very minimal but I was just tired of used cars.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:39 PM
I always refuse the "doc fee" that they try to add on at the end. No dealer has ever given up a sale over it..

Old 04-04-2014, 05:06 PM
This let's me know I did well when I bought my new Passat in 2008. 2.0 T with a 6 speed manual, $3400 (MSRP) sport appearance package and upgraded 18" wheels and tires. Considering all options, I barely paid over invoice at $27K flat, BUT.... I was able to get financed through VW Credit at 0% for 60 months. They made their money on my trade (2001.5 Passat V6 loaded, but 185K miles, I did talk then up $500 on their first offer for my trade) but I was ok with that as I was also able to bring $4200 from a 4.5% loan on my motorcycle over under the 0% car note. It was awesome watching every penny of every payment going towards principle, and now it's paid off.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:49 PM

The very first thing I thought about after reading the first line is that not every dealership has the same amount of overhead. There's a huge difference in overhead between a small and large dealership, one downtown in a huge city and one way out in the country. In the Houston area, some dealerships make much better deals than others do, and for good reason. I work for the largest used dealership in the entire country and I know for a fact that we are able to make less than other dealers on every auction car (send trade-ins), and even the ones on the lot, because our immense volume, and still make the total profits that we need to grow and pay all the bills.

Some dealers charge more when they're actually a good dealer, who hires responsible people that actually give a crap about the customers, don't fight on warranty work, etc. Providing this level of surface costs more. Whereas other dealers hire 20 year old punks, weasel out of everything possible, etc., which saves them money. So you can choose whether your time, stress, hair pulling, etc. is worth the $1-2k off that the crap-ership is offering. For most folks, it is, but for many, it isn't.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 04-04-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:19 PM
Incredible read, wonder if this is still up to date?

Ryan.

Quick Reply: How to buy a new/used vehicle