Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! My bed is destroyed! Need ideas!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP!! My bed is destroyed! Need ideas!!

Please help. I just bought a 2000 Ford 150XLT the price was to irresistible to pass up. Unfortunately the bed is destroyed. The side panels are barely connected. I feel that the only thing holding up the side panels is the liner in the bed. I'm not sure what to do. I need any and all ideas please. The beams holding it up in the back are all rusted out. I can put pictures up if need be.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Sounds like you need to replace the bed. Probably worth trying to source one from the south.

How are the rockers? That's another vulnerable spot of the 10th gen

Old 09-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Knee Deep
Please help. I just bought a 2000 Ford 150XLT the price was to irresistible to pass up. Unfortunately the bed is destroyed. The side panels are barely connected. I feel that the only thing holding up the side panels is the liner in the bed. I'm not sure what to do. I need any and all ideas please. The beams holding it up in the back are all rusted out. I can put pictures up if need be.
Dang, this on a 2000?

My '77 had some rust and I saw some other like vintage trucks with floppy bed sides back in the late '80s already, so before mine had floppy bed sides, I covered the floor with some 11 gage steel plate all over (used one sheet) and double plated the front wall, then I ran a 4" wide 1/4" thick steel strap across rear of bed behind tailgate hinge area and then used some 3/16" thick 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" angle notched and gusseted to go up from that long side to side piece and tied in to rear standard boxed corners and removed tail lights to get access for nuts and big washers .... put tail lights back in.
To this day, you can drop the tail gate and try to shake the bed sides and all you shake is the whole truck, the bed sides are solid.

As near new as it is, I'ld look at a complete used bed to start with and mod that for long term.

Last edited by tbear853; 10-06-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cant begin to thank you. I was ready to go to a junkyard and replace the whole thing. And was most hesitant about spending that money and then worrying about welding it properly. I am new to the ford and truck family so my inexperience with fords or trucks is VERY lacking.

Quick Reply: HELP!! My bed is destroyed! Need ideas!!