Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One person removal of Undercover ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 12:28 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
One person removal of Undercover ???

What's the best way?

I have read a few threads about Undercovers and see people mention removing and reinstalling their Undercover bed covers all by themselves ....
..... but no one ever describes the handling while removing the near 6 foot wide X 6 to 8 foot long Undercover without incurring damage to the cover or cab back.

I know weight isn't the issue as they weigh like 55-60 pounds.

If you are one who successfully removes and reinstalls your Undercover alone ..... what works for you?

Thanks .......

Old 03-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I have the Undercover SE on my '11 Lariat. I don't know where you've seen that one person is able to remove it. It takes two people. Even on the Undercover website, it shows two people. I remove mine from time to time when I need to haul something that won't fit under it. It's easy. Raise it up. Then with someone on each side, pop of the support strut at the bracket on the truck, then swing it up and put it into it's hanger. It's mounted on the cover. Hold the cover up (it is pretty light), and at the bracket where the hinges are, turn the release **** until the hinge is free from the bracket. Lower the cover down so it's easier to handle then slide the cover back until it is free of the pins and lift off and walk it towards the back of the truck until it is clear. Whole process takes less than 30 seconds. Mine came with wall brackets to hang it up. If I plan on removing it, I take a couple of cheap aluminum saw horses with me and place the cover on them. Once I'm done with the load, I put the cover back on the truck. That takes a little finessing. You have to get the hinges back onto the pins, slide it back until it seats, then find the threads for the release ****. It can be a bit difficult if both guys aren't in unison, and even on both sides.

In the picture, number one (1) is where you pop the rod of it's pin. Number two (2) is the little bracket that the strut rod will hook into when you swing it up. Number three (3) is the **** on the hinge that you turn to release the hinge from the bracket that is mounted on the truck. I know it's a bit hard to see. But I wanted to give you some idea of what I was saying. Hope this helps you...

Last edited by Scarlet; 03-04-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Oh, I'm with you on the websight showing two removing it, I just was reading a lot of past posts brought up in "search" here ..... looking for references to problems with the front cracking near where it hinges ....
.... (mine is not cracked, I bought it in 2010, it's a "classic" with tab / s,ot like hinge .... and it was a question that came up with a buddy who's looking at a cover) ....
.... and in that reading I saw several old posts from way back where a writer states that it's easy to remove and install single handedly.

I thought maybe I missed something so I was just asking.

I do appreciate the time and effort involved in your reply ..... and that's a gorgeous truck!

Maybe I've just overlooked them, but are those factory wheels?

Last edited by tbear853; 03-04-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Your welcome! My cover has been great and trouble free. I'm OCD when it comes to keeping Scarlet shining. I've not seen any cracks on the cover. I remove the cover maybe a couple of times a year. Usually around hunting season. Once in a while when I'm cleaning the truck, I'll clean the gasket and rub some Armorall, or whatever I'm using on the gasket. I' also like to keep the bedrail as clean as I can. No leaks so far.....No, the rims are not factory. They are 18" KMC Skitch rims. I looked and searched for a while before I decided on them. I wanted chrome, and I didn't want the run-of-the-mill 5 or 6 spoke. And black has been over done I think? These rims have the appearance of the classic 5-spoke, but is different. But they are a bugger to keep clean.......You got a pic of your truck?

About a month after I got her, no Mods yet..

Aug. 2013, right after I did the '13-'14 HID headlight upgrade.

Last edited by Scarlet; 03-05-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:18 PM
Oh, I can tell you keep her clean. I try .... and usually do a great job. She's not a DD but she get's driven on road trips and sometimes instead of the Mustang for evening outings ..... but so far ... never to work. She has her own carport spot.

I too keep the seals of the Undercover lubed, I've yet to find any water in the bed after a rain or car washing. I know the Undercover is light, and I know not to drive with the cover open on a load anymore .... though I have in the past ..... but after my research .... no more.

No, the rims are not factory. They are 18" KMC Skitch rims. I looked and searched for a while before I decided on them. I wanted chrome, and I didn't want the run-of-the-mill 5 or 6 spoke. And black has been over done I think? These rims have the appearance of the classic 5-spoke, but is different
Thanks ......
I love those wheels!

Here's a pic of my Undercover 2090.

Name:  a07LRviewBRParkway01-29-12800w.jpg
Views: 3884
Size:  121.6 KB

Later .......

Last edited by tbear853; 03-22-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Both trucks still look good guys

Quick Reply: One person removal of Undercover ???