Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fold a cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fold a cover

Has anyone bought Fold A Cover tonneau. They seem to be pretty well made.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:22 PM
I have a G4 Elite on my truck for about 4 years. It's served me well. No issues at all.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you get one, get the G4.

There are two methods of installation depending on your truck type. One of the methods is a royal PITA!! I can tell you it's the worst installation of any cover that I'm familiar with. The method that I'm referring to states to place the rails and cover on the bed and mark the rails' position with masking tape. Then, remove the cover and replace the rails in the former exact position. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE! Once you put the rails in the position you think they need to be in, you remove the stick-on paper layer from the bottom of the rail and stick them onto your truck. If you don't get it right, you can't redo it. And, if you happen to miss the correct position, the rails might be too far apart or to close together.

It's an awful install.....

Old 09-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGasm
If you get one, get the G4.

There are two methods of installation depending on your truck type. One of the methods is a royal PITA!!
Hey all, this thread popped up in my alerts and I thought I would chime in.

I actually work for Fold-a-Cover. First off, Bigs125 and TruckGasm, we are glad to hear you are enjoying the G4 Elite. Secondly, we couldn't agree more that the tape-on installation isn't any fun. We have since re-engineered the clamping system and current model Ford covers are now attached with an adjustable clamp-on rail system (This is for G4 Elite Only!).

Any G4-Elite Fold-a-Covers for F150s sold through our factory store are all the updated rail system. I can't guarantee what you'll get if you buy from a local or other online dealer, since they may still have older stock on their shelves.

On our online store we currently have a promotion for $100 of a tonneau cover, 2 year warranty upgrade, and free shipping. For our friends here on F150online, I can go ahead and give you another $25 off the purchase!

When checking out through the Fold-a-Cover Factory Store, just use coupon code F150ONLINE25 at the checkout page to take off the extra $25! http://www.foldacoverfactorystore.com is the website.

If you have any other questions about the covers, just let me know! OH, and the coupon will work for ANY Tonneau, Personal Caddy, or Step Tube. So if you have any other friends with different make or model truck, or want to add the caddy to your cover, it will work for that too! Feel free to share it!

Last edited by TruckGuy616; 09-28-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:05 PM
It must be meant to be

Originally Posted by TruckGuy616
Hey all, this thread popped up in my alerts and I thought I would chime in.

I actually work for Fold-a-Cover. First off, Bigs125 and TruckGasm, we are glad to hear you are enjoying the G4 Elite. Secondly, we couldn't agree more that the tape-on installation isn't any fun. We have since re-engineered the clamping system and current model Ford covers are now attached with an adjustable clamp-on rail system (This is for G4 Elite Only!).

Any G4-Elite Fold-a-Covers for F150s sold through our factory store are all the updated rail system. I can't guarantee what you'll get if you buy from a local or other online dealer, since they may still have older stock on their shelves.

On our online store we currently have a promotion for $100 of a tonneau cover, 2 year warranty upgrade, and free shipping. For our friends here on F150online, I can go ahead and give you another $25 off the purchase!

When checking out through the Fold-a-Cover Factory Store, just use coupon code F150ONLINE25 at the checkout page to take off the extra $25! http://www.foldacoverfactorystore.com is the website.

If you have any other questions about the covers, just let me know! OH, and the coupon will work for ANY Tonneau, Personal Caddy, or Step Tube. So if you have any other friends with different make or model truck, or want to add the caddy to your cover, it will work for that too! Feel free to share it!
TruckGuy,
Thanks for the post. I've just been shopping around for a bed cover and was trying to think of the name of your cover. Seems to me a few years ago your cover got good reviews by forum members. Your cover looks a lot like the Extang Encore -- how do the two compare? Also, when I go to your website and use the pull-down menus for a 2012 F150 Supercrew, there is no option for the 6.5' bed -- did I do something wrong (which is entirely possible)? Thanks.
Steve

Old 09-28-2012, 05:59 PM
I'll throw in some pics.

FoldACover G4 Elite
Name:  G4Elite5.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  95.4 KB

Name:  G4Elite4.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  110.8 KB

Name:  G4Elite3.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  122.3 KB

Extang Oncore
Name:  Encore1.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  112.6 KB

Name:  Encore3.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  Encore2.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  87.7 KB

Old 09-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by idaho150
TruckGuy,
Thanks for the post. I've just been shopping around for a bed cover and was trying to think of the name of your cover. Seems to me a few years ago your cover got good reviews by forum members. Your cover looks a lot like the Extang Encore -- how do the two compare? Also, when I go to your website and use the pull-down menus for a 2012 F150 Supercrew, there is no option for the 6.5' bed -- did I do something wrong (which is entirely possible)? Thanks.
Steve
Steve,

First off, thanks for pointing out the error on the selection system. I fixed the issue and you can now choose SuperCrew with a 6ft 6in bed. Thanks for that!

As an honest truck guy myself, I try to be as fair as possible, and not "bash" the competition. We stand by our products and have been building quality tonneaus since 1988. That said, here are what I would say are the key feature differences between the Encore and the G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover.

- Convenience: The G4-Elite can be opened with one hand from both the front and rear of the truck bed WITHOUT opening the tailgate. The Encore requires you to open the tailgate first, and requires two hands to open from the cab side. When you're carrying stuff to store in the bed, it's nice to not have to set it down first just to open your cover.

- Utility: The G4-Elite is a 4-panel design, meaning you have access to 75% of the bed when fully opened, versus 66 with the Encore (on this note, it may be even less with the Encore, to me the panel nearest the cab looks bigger than the other two). There is no issue with the G4 for a goose neck trailer or fifth wheel towing.

- Quality: The G4 Elite is manufactured in an ISO9001 factory to high standards, and has passed and exceeded OEM safety crash testing standards. To my knowledge, we are the ONLY tonneau company that can make this claim. We supply to 2 of the 3 domestic auto manufacturers which is why we maintain the highest standards.

The quality aspect is one reason our installation process requires more time than some of the competitions use of fast-clamp systems. Our clamps are actually stronger than the sheet metal your truck bed is made from, meaning if an accident should happen, the tonneau won't go flying off the truck creating more harm or damage.

After installation, removing the cover is simply removing 4 bolts and removing the cover. Putting it back on is very easy, as the rails stay with the truck so there is no re-alignment necessary, just set it place and bolt it back down.

Lastly, we also do offer the Personal Caddy cargo management system as an option - essentially, a toolbox/storage container that rests below the panel near the cab to give you even better cargo management.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know! Again, I really do my best to be honest and fair in any comparison, and if any of the other G4-Elite owners want to chime, please do!

Old 09-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the replies and photos. I really appreciate it.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:31 PM
So truckgasm what's your opinion of the two. Do you prefer one over the other? They both look like very good covers. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:31 PM
A few other differences to mention:
FAC is made of aluminum, the Encore is made of FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic). FRP is pretty popular right now because it won't dent like aluminum and it's more UV resistant (more color stable) than powdercoating. The Bakflip F1, Fibermax, and the Undercover Flex are also made of FRP.

The Encore is new, so there's not much feedback yet on this cover. FAC has been around a long time. The only long term issue I've seen with FAC is that the seal that covers the piano hinges can wear out after a few years, but it is replaceable.

As far as security goes, the FAC is better. I don't think people realize that with the Encore, Flex, and Bakflips, all a thief has to do is to stick a coat hanger beneath the cover and pull the release cord.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Alright everyone, we've had a good number of takers on the extra discount from the Fold-a-Cover Factory Store...but now we need some pictures! Even if you already had a cover before, we'd love to see some pictures of our cover on your F Series! Post em here or send me a couple in a PM!

Also, if you did manage to miss it, the coupon code at our Factory Store is F150ONLINE25 which gets you an extra $25 off on top of current promotions. I'll keep the coupon active for a while yet

Reminder, the coupon will work for ANY Tonneau, Personal Caddy, or our Style Step step tube, so if you've got a friend looking or anything, feel free to share the deal around! Checkout http://www.foldacover.com for info and images

Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Back flap question

I had the G4 installed. really neat job. Question is -- should the back flap fit inside the tailgate or on top? The installer has it inside, and I have to open the tailgate to close it. Is this the right way? If not, I how should I adjust it?

Old 10-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by on2012ford
I had the G4 installed. really neat job. Question is -- should the back flap fit inside the tailgate or on top? The installer has it inside, and I have to open the tailgate to close it. Is this the right way? If not, I how should I adjust it?
The blade seal at the tailgate should rest ON TOP of the tailgate. If it is tucked in water has the potential to get in, and also the repeated pressure from the tailgate pushing against it when closing will eventually pull off the seal.

Normal procedure is to close the tailgate, then close the cover. This way you can open the cover without opening the tailgate. From the sounds of it, you (or the installer) may need to loosen the clamps/rails and slide the whole assembly back towards the tailgate a bit. Proper positioning is when the tab for the lock bracket is as close to the tailgate as possible without touching.

Last edited by TruckGuy616; 10-15-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 PM
TruckGuy616,
I've been looking at a lot of different covers. 2012 F150 XLT S-Crew 6.5' bed. One thing I would really like to maintain is access to my bed stake pockets. None of the photos I have seen show if the rails on the fold-a-cover cover the stake pockets or if they would be accessible. Can you comment on this or show any photos?
I know I could use a BAK Flip cover and maintain them since it fits inside the rails, but then I have to open the tailgate before opening the cover.
Thanks!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by schmart
TruckGuy616,
I've been looking at a lot of different covers. 2012 F150 XLT S-Crew 6.5' bed. One thing I would really like to maintain is access to my bed stake pockets. None of the photos I have seen show if the rails on the fold-a-cover cover the stake pockets or if they would be accessible. Can you comment on this or show any photos?
I know I could use a BAK Flip cover and maintain them since it fits inside the rails, but then I have to open the tailgate before opening the cover.
Thanks!
schmart,
The rails on the Fold-a-Cover actually use the stake pockets for mounting. It's part of what gives the tonneau cover it's strength. Also, having the rails on top of the truck bed, as opposed to between the sidewalls, means that we manage any water penetration BEFORE it gets into the truck bed, as opposed to some low-profile designs that use plastic drain tubes, like the BakFlip.

But you are right, the BakFlip will give you access to the stake pockets, but also will require you to open the tailgate first to open the tonneau cover.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any solutions that will give you both options.

Quick Reply: Fold a cover