Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford licensed tonneau covers

Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford licensed tonneau covers

Anybody have any experience with the tonneau covers sold by ford at their accessory store? The website has very little detail but the prices seem pretty decent, and it claims to be sourced by truxedo.

I don't want to have to order one in order to verify the quality.

http://accessories.ford.com/6-5-styl...t-roll-up.html

Thanks

Old 03-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Spend the little extra money and get an Extang. You get an Express or Revolution for about $100 more than that one on the Ford site.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Also check out ACCESS, very good covers. Internet search gets you some good pricing.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Thanks, I'm going to check both of those out in person. I'm kind of curious about how the Revolution works without velcro.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by dmpaul
Thanks, I'm going to check both of those out in person. I'm kind of curious about how the Revolution works without velcro.
It's got a lock system that, as you roll it back over the bed, it latches into the rails.

Extremely durable. Both of my bosses have the Revolution on their trucks, and I bought one for my uncle for his truck.

Mind you, I can get any Extang cover direct from Extang, as they are a client of mine at work. If I didn't trust something about it, I wouldn't have bought that cover for him, and I'd express my concern about the product to them directly.

Personally, I have the new Encore on my truck and I absolutely love it. They aren't cheap, but are, in my opinion, the best cover on the market right now.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the responses. I visited a couple of local truck accessory stores and both raved about the Truxedo, saying it was by far their best seller. One had the Extang Encore on display and I admit it is a good looking cover.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to sell tonneaus so I'm gonna chime in here. Truxedo does make a good product. Their warranty is great, and I am a fan of the "low-profile" look of them. They are also what's called an "in-channel" tonneau. What nice about that is you can run bed rails if you so choosed (not that they are super popular anymore, but I digress).

I personally have the Extang Tr-Fold on my truck. It's a different model than the one you were looking at but I've had it for several years now so I feel like I have a pretty good idea on their quality. The only problem I've had with it is that one corner has started to lift off of the frame (I'll try to get pictures during the day light). That being said for the length of time that I've had it, I really can't complain.

Out of the two I prefer the look of the Truxedo, but I went with the Extang based on price (It was around $200 less when I bought mine).

Hope it helps, and be sure to get some photos up regardless of what you end up doing!

Old 03-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Had this cover put on by my dealer when I had my 2010 FX4. Good cover, very versatile, however...you knew this was coming...the drain tubes used to remove water are terribly cheap for what the cover costs. The avg cost prior to install is 700.00 usually - install is generally another 300 dollars at a dealer, though you can do it yourself. The drain tubes are front and rear. The front ones, near the cab, go through the bed drain plugs in the front of the bed. The rear ones are terrible..almost as if they were an after-thought. They simply drain into the bed -- I guess the assumption is they will go out the tail gate. Terrible design there and the tubes are essentially "fish tank line" in a 3/4" diameter. And if you have a bed-extender...kiss these tubes good-bye because they essentially do not work.

You can find the exact same covers under different names on eBay to get a better buy than the dealer, and they are cake to install.

Overall, very good cover. Looks great, improved my MPGs and worked out well...negatives...drain lines and cost.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Extang and Truxedo are owned by the same company and are decent products.

Access Cover is also very good and offers a lifetime warranty on both the frame and vinyl. That's pretty hard to beat.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Is there one that really stands out over the others... ??

Old 03-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Access cover's were the best you could get when I put one on my old 02 XL (in 2003). That thing was still in perfect condition 9 years later and that was sitting outside in the sun/snow/rain the entire 9 years. I didn't even maintain it like they recommended (by treating it with silicone spray).

Old 07-31-2014, 11:41 AM
I have a 2009 SCAB that I bought used with a tonneau cover that I am looking for parts. Truxedo and Access say it is not their cover. It has the Ford oval embossed on the cover.
Local dealer can't locate the manufacturer. It has two,release levers and one of the handles is broke off. That's the part I need. Otherwise tHe cover is in good shape. Especially considering it is 4-5 years old.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:16 AM
Good info, alot to consider thanks for sharing.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:21 AM
Turns out the cover is a Truxedo. According to Truxedo it is a Ford dealer installed option. I think it is the Truxport version. I called Truxedo and they sent me the kit to replace the release levers. Had I been the original owner the parts would have been free under the original owner 5 year warranty provided by Truxedo. The releases are a little stiff now but according to the install sheet that will improve shortly. Thanks to dmpaul for the link.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford licensed tonneau covers