Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck tent

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Truck tent

Hey guys,

The gf wants to do some camping for the remainder of the summer and in the coming years, and I thought a truck tent built for my truck might come in handy. I've got a '08 SuperCab with the 6.5' bed--does anyone have any idea of a quality TT for my model, or have any of you even used a built-for-truck tent before?

I'll admit the idea just popped into my head a few minutes ago so I haven't had time to research this topic much on the ol' Internet....any info and help will be most welcome.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My family used to have one a long time ago for our GMC 2500 Dually. We used it a lot at the campsites and when we would go to the desert to ride. There ok I guess, nothing special. Its just a tent in the bed of your truck. I was only a kid when we had it so I don't know anything about the quality or what brands are better. But I sure do remember falling off the tailgate eary one morning to pee haha. That and I remember it was a PITA for me to help my dad set it up since I was so little and couldnt reach.

But now that I think about it they would be pretty nice. You stay off the ground and could stay warmer by not having as much wind on you. The only down part would be that you obviously would have to take all your camping gear in the tent with you leave it in the cab. And you would have to take it down to drive anywhere. I'd say go for it, doesnt hurt to try it out. Just make sure your suspension doesnt squeak!

D

Old 07-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Unless you plan on camping in swampy conditions or there just won't be room for both your truck and a tent I don't see the point in truck tents. They are more difficult to set up that a regular tent, more of a pain to get in and out of and the bed of your truck is much harder than dirt even when using a pad. They are neat, but just not practical in most situations. Not to mention that you have to unload EVERYTHING from the bed of your truck before you can set up the tent.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used TTs in the past, I think they are great. I did have a air matt that was designed to fit in the back of the truck, very comfy!

The tent was alot warmer then sleeping in a reg tent on the ground (if cold weather is a concern)

Leon

Old 07-20-2011, 05:03 PM
I think mine is called a sportz truck tent. I've never used it but I did set it up once in the bed. Install wasn't bad and I think it would be better to have it in the bed than on the ground for sure. You could run a power inverter from the cab out into the bed.... and you wont have to clean up all the dirt and mud from the bottom of the tent after use. They are a bit pricey though... check on CL and Ebay.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Been looking on eBay this afternoon, most are retail price but a few are under $100. Prolly save up a little a then check back...

Nathan, I actually thought about the fact that I could crack my SuperCab window and run things from my power point in the console; that would come in handy

Anyone else used a TT?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Try amazon as well...

Old 07-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Truck tents keep you off the ground away from the snakes and the other creepy crawlies

Old 07-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Nathan,

They are almost all full retail on Amazon, hardly any "used" items listed. Also, I just noticed you are in the Armed Forces. Thanks for your service...my Dad is a retired Marine from the 60s.

and Hubster,

Anything that keeps snakes away, I'm ok with. If I could find St. Patrick's body, reanimate it and have it riding in my truck with me to keep snakes away, I would
Just don't like those critters....

Last edited by DSGSTX81; 07-20-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:23 PM
@DSGSTX81
First thank you and tell your father THANK YOU for his 20+ YEARS!!
If I were hame I'd just sell ya mine.

Yeah amazon may not be a great place but it was a thought haha

If you have a trailer, take it camping with you and throw up a Wal-Mart tent in it. I do this all the time because I'll pull the ATV's to the campsite.

Put a posting on craigslist. That is your best bet to get one cheap!

Good luck and thanks again!

Nate

Old 07-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Nathan,

A coworker gave me a copy of The Sportsman's Guide and there is a truck tent in there for $70, with a queen size air mattress for $50. I think I'm gonna jump on that, because even with shipping, both should be cheaper than just retail on the tents alone....

And I'll tell my Dad that you said Semper Fi

Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Look for a used cap/topper/shell on craigs - probably about the same price as a decent bed tent and more practical as you'll be able to haul all your stuff covered and sleep in it at night for a bonus.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by wolverine08
Look for a used cap/topper/shell on craigs - probably about the same price as a decent bed tent and more practical as you'll be able to haul all your stuff covered and sleep in it at night for a bonus.
A solid suggestion, but there are oftentimes where I need to haul things that would be a bit taller than the camper, and taking it on/off every few days would not be time-effective, nor cost-effective.

As a Marvel Comics fan, I like your screen name, tho

Old 07-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Good deal man. Have fun out there!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Well did you get one? Pics? Review?

Quick Reply: Truck tent