Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best DIY Roll on Bedliner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGasm
If Raptor works for you, then great. It's good to have choices.

This is just for fun:
If you look at U-pol Raptor's MSDS, you will see that it contains 683 grams/liter of solids (which is about 68%). That means that 317 grams/liter is solvents that evaporate away (which is about 32%). So, for every gallon of Raptor you buy, you only get about 3/4 of a gallon of actual "bedliner". So, using a useful formula that I have and assuming you have a short bed truck (6.5 ft) which has about 78 sqft to spray with the bedliner, then one gallon of Raptor will give you about a 15 mil thickness (or .015 inches). That's pretty darn thin. Just to compare, LINE-X and Rhino will apply about 8 gallons solvent free.

Durability wise, Raptor (which is made in the UK) unfortunately does not publish technical specs. The only thing we know is that according to their site, it's "2K paint". However, assuming it's like all the rest of the solvent based store bought bedliner products, it's honestly not as durable as the professional products.

Again, I'm not trying to start any thing here, if one (or two) gallons of Raptor works for you, then that's all that matters.
Hey Gasm, that's really good information you've posted (seriously) and is much appreciated. I have an 8' bed hence the reason I'm going to order a little more, 2 to 4 quarts more or basically a gallon more to do the job. Again for me it's all about the $$$$ and getting rid of that ribbed PITA plastic liner that came w/ the truck, w/ those ribs on the liner I actually lose some space between the front of the bed and the tailgate. Plus I just can't justify giving those shops $650 for a bed liner. I know I will get what I pay for, which means I will either be happy or sorely disappointed with it (the majority being happy as well as expensive w/ with what I've chosen) but we shall see. I've always enjoyed doing things myself as far as the truck is concerned and I don't think this will be any different

Last edited by mitch150; 06-07-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be sure to READ THE DIRECTIONS, take your time, and do it right the first time.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by TruckGasm
Be sure to READ THE DIRECTIONS, take your time, and do it right the first time.
Thanks, and believe me I will. Luckily I have a friend who works in an auto shop w/ experience in this area who will guide me.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:23 AM
DIY bedline

Just did my 09 SCAB. I took my time and scratched is all up as per instructions. even bought a rougher scouring pad to make sure. And you need gloves, tray to hold the stuff so you can use the roller and Xylene. All in, probably $120.

It took a long time to do, 6 hours, start to finish. And i did it in my driveway and the tree crap kept falling in the bed so i was picking out seeds all day. Once i was finished i backed it into my garage to cure.

Not sure i would do it again. Even for the $500 savings over a professional job.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:07 PM
I have personally done two Herculiners. And a friend of mine has done one. The first was in my 2000 Tacoma. It was a couple years later when I did it. I didn't do very good prep work, and did two coats over a couple weeks. (Do to impatience and work schedule) It held up fine for many years. My buddy who did his 2000 S-10 beat the absolute crap out of his bed in the past couple years with many truck loads of wood and it's held up fine.

This time around on my 2010 SCREW I took a lot of time in the prep work. I used 80 grit sandpaper and made sure I got every part of the bed and sides completely scuffed. 80 girt didn't have to press as hard to scuff as opposed to the scuff pad they supply. I probably sent 6 hours or so doing the bed (over a weeks time). I then taped off the truck and put on 2+ coats to the entire bed with the Gallon. Wanted to spray but the undercoating gun i bought wouldn't blow anything, so I rolled it on.

Since then i've had 6 loads of dirt and a couple loads of mulch. It's a little dirty but holding up great.

Really what is your bed for? Put dirt, rocks, wood, metal, deer etc.. It's gonna get beat up. Who cares if it fades in color or if it's 1/8 or 1/4 or 1/16 inch thick.

With the herculiner if you happen to tear it up you can get a quart and repair for $20-$30. Line-X you gonna spend $450-$550 and they should repair it if torn (depending on the local owner of shop, will the be there in 5-6 years when you need this repaired). Rhino i've talked to a couple shops, Do not cover tears and such, so your out the $400+ they charge for it.

If you take you time in the prep work you won't be disappointed.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Herculiner is by far the best DIY bed liner. Nothing even comes close to comparing.

Of course I would rather spend the extra couple hundred on a real line X tho. But if you dont.... Herculiner or nothing

Old 07-15-2010, 12:52 AM
I've used this 3m stuff and it's held up pretty well even after bending the tailgate.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_hTml

In the end, if you DIY, you'll probably have to plan on doing scratch 'n' dent maintenance on it.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:43 PM
verrrrrrrrrrry interesting if i do say so myself heh heh heh .

Old 08-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Drick
Herculiner is by far the best DIY bed liner. Nothing even comes close to comparing.

Of course I would rather spend the extra couple hundred on a real line X tho. But if you dont.... Herculiner or nothing

It use to be, IMO, until Dupli-Color came out with Bed Armor. Bed Armor is an awesome product and it comes with UV protection and made with Kevlar.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:19 PM
I have done herculiner on my last truck and it sucked. Granted I do think TIDOFX4 did a great job. And he's right, if you prep it well enough I think it will last. I didn't prep very well. Also I had an 8 ft bed and even two gallons wasn't enough to give it a true thickness to withstand stuff.

I got my 8ft bed done at ziebart for $350 (they were running a special last year). It holds up great and has a lifetime warranty. By the time you do all the prepping, buying materials, etc for maybe $100 more (when they're doing a special of course) you could get a lifetime guranteed product.

Then you don't have to ever worry if it flakes or not prepped right because they'll fix it, whereas diy has a chance you're going to have to do it again anyways. just my .02

Old 08-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought I would throw in some interesting information regarding DuPont Kevlar.

LINE-X and DuPont spent over two years developing the LINE-X Xtra product which contains Kevlar. LINE-X is the only DuPont authorized user of Kevlar for truck bedliners.

Here's what I've learned: You can buy some Kevlar and dump it in anything and you probably will think it's an improvement. In reality, the Kevlar could have the opposite effect. There's much more "science" to it than you think. Such as, how the Kevlar fibers line up and do the fibers interfere with the crosslinking of the other components.

Chances are, Duplicolor and other brands that contain Kevlar did NOT spend the time and money researching the effects of Kevlar. They probably didn't need to. All they want to do is sell you their product and just by putting the Kevlar label on the can might be enough for you to choose their product.

Just to be fair, maybe Kevlar does enhance Duplicolor, but I bet it's more of a marketing effort than anything else.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:10 PM
I have 3 coats of Herculiner on my truck and I jam all kinds of things into it on accident and it stays put and doesnt chip.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Former Sponsor
A new Choise in bed liners... Dual Liner

This is a really affordable way to get what you want, your stuff to stay in place and looks great too. Do yourself a favor and check out the Dual Liner, www.dualliner.com it really is the best of both worlds. You get the most protection and the best price, we have a couple of deals going on right now that we could blow away the competition with. Oh yeah, I forgot the best part you can check it out and if you don't like it you can ship it back. We are the new guys in the bed liner business and we have been creating quite a buzz. What is happening is we sell one to Billy Bob and then Joe Bob and Jim Bob are getting one too. I know that you would be extremely happy with our product so at least check us out. Let us know that you saw us on F150online.com and we take real good care of you. My email is todd@dualliner.com if you have any questions or you can call us at 1-800-992-1949. See why we are the real truck bed protection system!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Dual Liner
This is a really affordable way to get what you want, your stuff to stay in place and looks great too. Do yourself a favor and check out the Dual Liner, www.dualliner.com it really is the best of both worlds. You get the most protection and the best price, we have a couple of deals going on right now that we could blow away the competition with. Oh yeah, I forgot the best part you can check it out and if you don't like it you can ship it back. We are the new guys in the bed liner business and we have been creating quite a buzz. What is happening is we sell one to Billy Bob and then Joe Bob and Jim Bob are getting one too. I know that you would be extremely happy with our product so at least check us out. Let us know that you saw us on F150online.com and we take real good care of you. My email is todd@dualliner.com if you have any questions or you can call us at 1-800-992-1949. See why we are the real truck bed protection system!

I would hope you get the same service even if they were not part of this forum.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:51 AM
I just thought I'd give a little tid bit of info I have about roll on liners. I've never installed one but I bought an 05 that has a DIY liner rolled in on it. The original owner said he did it when it was brand new so the surface was already clean. He wire wheeled the surface, cleaned and rolled it on, that was 5 years ago. Today its sun bleached almost gray/white. It still is stuck on there pretty good but is kind of thin in some places. I called Linex to see about getting a liner sprayed in and they told me my situation was the worst. Since I have a DIY roll in liner they said they'd have to scrape/sand the old liner out then spray in the new one which equals very $$$$ about close to 1k. He did say they Linex offers a process to spray over the top of my existing liner but comes with no warranty and runs the same amount as getting a liner put in a clean bed. So I guess the reason I'm posting this is as a word of caution, you only get one shot with the DIY liners so make sure thats what you want before you do it. Also make sure you get something with UV protection so it doesn't look like crap later on. Since mine is stuck on so good though i might try the Linex and just hope I don't have to worry about needing a warranty.

Quick Reply: Best DIY Roll on Bedliner?