Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Line-X, now tailgate hard to close

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had Line-X sprayed in my '08 F150 and it looks awesone. Had the color matched xtra with a King Ranch logo stenciled on the bulk head. The only problem is that the tailgate is now "tough" to close. I realize that the Line-X is adding material and will close the gaps, but is this normal? The tailgate used to gently click to close, but now I have to give it a decent shove. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:34 AM
Originally Posted by dfwtaxman
I just had Line-X sprayed in my '08 F150 and it looks awesone. Had the color matched xtra with a King Ranch logo stenciled on the bulk head. The only problem is that the tailgate is now "tough" to close. I realize that the Line-X is adding material and will close the gaps, but is this normal? The tailgate used to gently click to close, but now I have to give it a decent shove. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Take some pictures for us...

I have no issues with closing mine, most people don't. Maybe they sprayed where they shouldn't have, or maybe the sprayed it too thick around the tailgate area. Hard to say without being able to see it.

How much did the Xtra cost? I'm thinking of doing my bumpers and rocker panels.

- NCSU

Old 03-31-2008, 07:51 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 03-31-2008, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Take some pictures for us...

I have no issues with closing mine, most people don't. Maybe they sprayed where they shouldn't have, or maybe the sprayed it too thick around the tailgate area. Hard to say without being able to see it.

How much did the Xtra cost? I'm thinking of doing my bumpers and rocker panels.

- NCSU
The spray appears to be about 1/16-1/8 thick. But 1/8 on both side is now 1/4, so I can see where it may be a little tougher to close. I'll try and take some pictures.

The Xtra cost and additional $200 - above the base $450. Out the door it cost a little over $700. Pricey but definitely worth it for the color match. This is in the DFW area.

Also, can you adjust the tailgate latches or am I better off just to give it a little extra shove to close? Thanks for the input.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No problems with the line-x here, my gate opens & closes with ease.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. On the tailgate, check the latches on both sides of the tailgate to make sure they are clear.

2. The tailgate latches latch onto posts. The posts can be loosened, adjusted, and re-tightened. Sometimes the posts leave a mark on the paint of their original position.

Chances are the posts need adjusting and the bedliner is OK.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGasm
1. On the tailgate, check the latches on both sides of the tailgate to make sure they are clear.

2. The tailgate latches latch onto posts. The posts can be loosened, adjusted, and re-tightened. Sometimes the posts leave a mark on the paint of their original position.

Chances are the posts need adjusting and the bedliner is OK.
Thanks! That worked like a charm. My gaps on the tailgate are now a little wider, but at least there's a gentle "click" to close the tailgate. I'll save the gap issue for another day. Thanks, again.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:05 PM
You know, some truck's tailgate lines up with the body, some don't no matter what the brand. You can have two identical trucks side by side and one may line up better than the other. I can tell you that Toyota is the worst as far as consistency in lined up tailgates.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:55 PM
line-x

Quick Reply: Line-X, now tailgate hard to close