Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any negatives to a spray in bedliner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any negatives to a spray in bedliner?

It seems like there are a good amount of positive benefits but I was wondering if there is anything about them that people out there dont like. Seems like the stuff is pretty permanent so its not like you can rip it out once it fades real bad or gets all torn up (or can you?) Also, how bad do they have to scuff up the paint in the bed for the stuff to stick cause if you ever could get it out not sure you wanted a scuffed up bed. Im also a little confused about all the different brands out there. I hear about the rhyno liner and line-x a lot but I have yet to find a place locally that installs them. What I have found are by permatech and speedliner. Anyone have any experience with either of these brands? Not only have I not heard much about them but the prices seem expensive ($435 and $535 respectively) Any thoughts are highly appreciated!!!

Old 09-17-2003, 08:50 PM
I have the Speedliner and it is very good. I only paid $329.00 under the rails on my SCREW(5.5 ft bed) though, and my dad paid $379.00 for over the rails on his 6.5(?) ft Cheby (*gasp* the C word). Your price seems a little high.

If you believe their advertising, it has a stronger tear strength and is more durable and more resistant to fading than the other brands.

The speedliner hasn't faded yet, it has good texture and is holding up really well so far. (this is not a work truck and only sees occasional hauling in the bed)

They normally scuff it up with a very coarse Scotchbrite pad thingy. It just takes the shine off, not all of the paint.

About the only downside to it I can see is trying to slide a heavy object in a cardboard box in the bed. The liner acts like sandpaper and leaves cardboard fuzz all on the bed

Hope this helped

Last edited by rbraughn; 09-17-2003 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:45 AM
I can't think of any valid reasons not to go with a spray in liner. I guess the only negatives I can see are not really so bad I would consider them negative. Will it fade? Yes some but not much if you get it in black. Cost? Yes it is a little more expensive but the benefits over a drop in I think justify the added cost. Out of all the liners I have seen in various trucks I must say that I would never get Ultimate Linings since it seems to come off. The good side is all spray in liners I know of do have a lifetime waranty so if it does fade excessively or tear or wear off you can get it fixed for free. I personally prefer the Line-X because it seems harder than the others available and is sprayed on hot. My cousin had the Rhino in his F150 and it also held up perfectly over about 5 years time then he sold the truck so I don't know what it looked like after that time but people with Rhino speak highly of it so I don't think you could go wrong there either. The two you mentioned I am not aware of so I can't give an accurate opinion. I would check to see if they offer lifetime transferrable waranty though. Then go with the toughest of the two.

Old 09-18-2003, 09:36 AM
Another quick question...

I have a metallic silver truck and was wondering if I went with a gray color if it might not fade as bad as a black liner. Anyone have experience with colors and fading? Guess getting color would depend on how close the grey is to the silver paint. Thanks!

Old 09-18-2003, 09:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only negative to a spray in bedliner that I know of is. Down time. You don't have your truck for a day or two.

MK

Old 09-18-2003, 10:13 AM
Down Time???
I got my 2003 Screw sprayed last week with Line-x and was only without the truck for 4 hours. Of course I did not haul anything for a while.

On a side note make sure you tell them you want to use the bed extender if you have one. They ddi take off the bed bolts and the tie downs but they sprayed the hinge points for the extender. I took it back and it peeled off since they had not scuffed it but htey still did it.

Trip

Old 09-18-2003, 05:30 PM
pricing might be a bit high

I'm in St. Louis and Line-x quoted me $395 for my shortbox. I can't see any drwback to it. Unless you consider not being able to remove it a drawback.

Old 09-23-2003, 12:25 AM
I've seen some coloured spray in liners fade after a couple
years. Sorry don't know what brand they were.

Old 09-23-2003, 07:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 negatives I can think of:

1) A thck coating can add 90 pounds of weight to your truck.
2) Once you do it, you have it for life - no changing your mind.

Habibi

Old 09-24-2003, 06:43 PM
they can be repaired if they get torn up. they just take a bigger chunk out and re-spray it. that works, but if the color has faded, it make look awkward or it all might have to be re-sprayed. i am doing a comparison of spray-ins for a thread on the 2004 F-150 forum. check it out here if you like:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=126808

Old 09-24-2003, 08:00 PM
Hey Fellas,

I only see 2 drawbacks to the spray-in liners.

1. price....too high on the front end.

2. I have seen several trucks with major dents on the fenderwells. My father in law has a Rhino in his F-350 and he has hated it since day one. Dents all over.

Granted, you guys may not be hauling field rock and loads of wood in the winter. If you are, be careful not to throw anything into the bed. You could end up with some dents.

I have a tuff liner now, and have had it for 5 years. I have a wal-mart rubber mat over the top of that, too keep things from sliding around. I have seriously abused this liner and mat on many occasions. It is scratched and scuffed all to pieces, but is still doing it's job. I have less than $150 in the whole deal.

Good luck,
Rich

Old 09-24-2003, 08:27 PM
My Rhinoliner has a lifetime warrantee. So why doesn't your father get his fixed. There is another plus for the spay-in, lifetime warrantee. (At least I know Rhino does.)

Old 09-24-2003, 10:21 PM
superdutyspv,

the reason my father in law doesn't get his fixed is because the liner is fine, it's the actual truck bed that is dented. A plastic liner squares off over the fenderwells, and in my opinion gives them better protection. I dented many truck beds as a kid hauling rock from the creek, or logs to split. When plastic liners came here we bought several for our trucks . Anyway, they seemed to hold up pretty well to the constant loads we put on them. Including, every now and then livestock. We learned quickly that the rubber mats on top of the liners helped keep everything from shifting as bad, including animals, and also helped with noise.

It's just my opinion, but if you're going to be throwing stuff in the back, stuff that could possibly roll around and dent the fenderwells, get a plastic liner. If some people want the spray-in, I say go ahead it's your money. I know from personal experience that the cheaper, plastic liners hold up better to the kinds of things we haul most often.

Rich

Old 09-25-2003, 12:59 AM
Hiker,

You have got a good point there on the dent factor and Habibi has a good point when it comes to the not removing it part. I don't feel that either of these two things were of any concern when I got mine. I don't haul rocks or logs or anything else like it for that matter. If I did carry those things though, I wouldn't just chuck the stuff in the back of the truck cause I care to much about my truck. Both the plastic drop in and spary in have good points and bad points. Since I do light hauling, scratch and rust protection were my chief concerns and the spray in is tops for this type protection. As for removing it goes I don't really see that as such a bad thing because I can't think of why I would want to remove it, not to mention the plastic liner I had in a previous truck scratched the bed up so badly it looked like crap when I did remove it to go spray in. Therefore, I guess the real question you should ask yourself is "What is best suited for my purpose?"

Old 09-30-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Boromaxx
Down Time???

...On a side note make sure you tell them you want to use the bed extender if you have one. They ddi take off the bed bolts and the tie downs but they sprayed the hinge points for the extender. I took it back and it peeled off since they had not scuffed it but htey still did it.

Trip
On another side note, if going with a spray-in, ask them what logo they use under the liner. You may have seen a 'LineX' logo on one of the rear sides. Well the folks that did mine also saw fit to stick their phone number under the logo. No, not the LineX 800 number. That might actually be smart. Nope, they used their local number. By the time I'll need mine repaired, they'll be out of business. In the meantime, I have to deal with their graffiti in my bed. Argh!

Quick Reply: Any negatives to a spray in bedliner?