Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any negatives to a spray in bedliner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had a Line-X sprayed in my truck this past Saturday. I don't much care for Rhino... too soft and very weak in comparison.

Before they started the prep work, I asked the guy to make sure they DO NOT put the plaque, or advertising label, in the bed. NO FREE ADVERTISING !!! I'm very pleased, so far....

Old 10-08-2003, 09:34 PM
I spray a 6ft bed under the rail black for $350.Line-x and rhino dealers in my area seem to be a bit greedy.I know what they pay for their material.I spray cheaper because im trying to establish my business.But even tho im spraying them cheaper im still making decent money.Don`t let them rake you over the coals.

All colors except red are gona cost you $75 extra and over the rail is another $75.

Example

Armorthane

6ft = $350
blue = $75
over the rail= $75
------------
$500

Old 10-13-2003, 02:27 AM
Here's why I'll never have a spray-on bed liner...

Where I used to work, they had a spayed-on bedliner (don't know the brand) on their new F250. This vehicle was used as a truck, OK? It looked alright when it was new, but after a few months it showed the following;
*Heavy things that were thrown into the bed left dents in the bed. Yea they were coated, but they were still dents.
*Things don't slide too easily across the surface. Because of that, when skids were loaded in, and pushed with a forklift, the liner got cut and scratched down to the sheet metal.
*As water in the bed would evaporate, it would leave white rings of (I guess) mineral deposites. That made it look terrible.
*It was a b**ch to sweep out.
*When the truck was in an accident, and had to have a new rear quarter installed, part of the bed had to be resprayed. The texture didn't match.

The concept seems good, but for my money you can't beat a good quality drop-in liner. They cost less, they're easier to keep looking good, they don't dent, and if things really get bad they are easy to replace.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:59 AM
owner Concession business

Has anyone ever experienced a problem once the spray in bedliner (any Brand) has been compromised (torn, ripped,not sealed properly,etc.) problems such as beds prematurely rusting out. Any and all replies greatly appreciated. I had a trailer sprayed some time ago and was ready for a re-do when prepping we found water and moisture trapped between the floor and liner and had completely rusted the floor. Thanks Bob

Old 04-23-2014, 12:54 PM
I had the line-x in my old Ranger and it looked really rough within a few years. Now I have the DualLiner http://www.dualliner.com/ford-bed-liner.php in my 150 to avoid dealing with that spray crap.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F150Bee
I had the line-x in my old Ranger and it looked really rough within a few years. Now I have the DualLiner http://www.dualliner.com/ford-bed-liner.php in my 150 to avoid dealing with that spray crap.
You know, I don't hear any of the OEM's such as Ford, Ram (Dodge), GM, Nissan, or Toyota wanting Dualiners. They ALL want and offer spray-ons now. There must be a good reason for that, don't you think?

Last edited by TruckGasm; 04-23-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGasm
You know, I don't hear any of the OEM's such as Ford, Ram (Dodge), GM, Nissan, or Toyota wanting Dualiners. They ALL want and offer spray-ons now. There must be a good reason for that, don't you think?
Could just be uneducated customers who just want a spray on because they hear it's the best .... give em what they want right

That being said I am torn between drop in OEM or spray liner

I got my front bumper sprayed in Line-X and it is awesome looking .... like really awesome I love the textured look and feel. Durability is huge as well.

I have a drop in OEM Ford liner in my bed and I like it because pallets are easy to slide in and out, also there is more raised lines in the bed closer together. This helps when there is water in the bed, you can just put something in there and it will stay dry because it is raised up over with all the little ridges the drop in has.

Overall it's a very tough decision for me. I like sliding stuff but I love the durability of the spray. It also looks nicer as my drop in has never ever fit right it pops out all over the place like a fat lady in tight jeans haha

My drop in has taken a bunch of abuse from gravel, to rocks, to huge rocks, ATV, Street Bike, logs, etc. a whole bunch of stuff and it's very easy to sweep out.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:37 PM
If you're going to spend the money I would recommend just going with a Dualliner based on my experience. Because you've got to find a shop who knows what they are doing and then you've got to do your research because a lot of these products chip, fade, and some can't stand up to the heat. Depending on the application (like someone else mentioned) you could be with out your truck for a day or two. Also they can overspray it onto your fenders and if they take it off it could also take your paint off. . .

Old 04-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The drop ins tend to trap water between it and the bed which causes the bed to rust out, plus they tend to rub the paint off. I will take a Line-X spray in from a reputable dealer such as TruckGasm. Just do your homework on the dealer.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by ToughCOBuilt
Because you've got to find a shop who knows what they are doing and then you've got to do your research because a lot of these products chip, fade, and some can't stand up to the heat.
Can you please identify which ones you're talking about?

Old 04-25-2014, 12:35 PM
All drop-in liners do is hold moisture and dirt between them and the bed.
No thanks, wouldn't have one if it was free.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Backnblack_66
All drop-in liners do is hold moisture and dirt between them and the bed.
No thanks, wouldn't have one if it was free.
Realistically most will not keep it long enough for it to do something negative, it will be the next persons problem.

I plan on pulling mine out this summer to try and get it to fit right. We will see what is under there after 7 years.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My only experience with a truck is my old 97 that I got in 2001 and it had a Duraliner installed in it by the dealer because the bed was so scratched up.. I liked the drop in and it was installed in a way that the only way water would have gotten under it was if I parked it with the nose down with no cover and it rained all night..

That scenario never occurred with me, since I got a tonneau cover for it the next week and it was parked in my garage or on flat parking lots anytime it rained (which is often in the NW..)

Of all the spray in liners I've seen and worked with, I know I don't want one... My dad has one in his truck, but he tows a 5th wheel with it, so he does not use the bed to haul dirt or anything like that.. He's still got his 1971 F250 for that..

It started out 'black', but it's now 'grey' and for my use of MY bed, I just wouldn't like it.

Now that I have the new 13 F150, I don't have anything in the bed, except a large cardboard box flattened out!! I was able to transfer the tonneau cover from the 97 to the 13, so it's covered and nice and dry..

I'm looking at getting a "Bed Rug" for it now.. Cost is ~ $500 for one, but I think that will work the best for me at this point in my life.

Mitch

Old 05-09-2014, 02:10 AM
Get the Line-X Xtra. The Xtra has UV protection. I haul a lot of stuff in my bed: dirt, gravel, wood, bricks, steel, engines, equipment, etc. and it has held up great. You would really have to go out of your way to dent the bed once it is sprayed (maybe the sheetmetal is thiner on the 09+ trucks IDK). Maybe the franchise who sprayed it didn't spray it thick enough? That really is the only downside to a spay-in liner. The franchise might not have qualified applicators.

It can be removed if it needs to be. The guy I went to has removed many Rhino Liners and poorly done Line-X liners. Sometimes he can take them out with a putty knife in 15 minutes. Prep-work is key for spray-ins.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Question Bedliner compatibility

Hi guys am wondering if someone can help me out here.am looking for a used f250 bedliner for a 8ft bed regular cab.will a f150 bedliner work and if so what year.thanks.

Quick Reply: Any negatives to a spray in bedliner?