The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

Ford F-150 Maintenance Before Camping: Start with the Basics (Part One)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford F-150 Maintenance Before Camping: Start with the Basics (Part One)

Going out for your summer camping vacation is fun and usually an adventure that will be memorable for those who go with you. How you all will remember it will depend on how smooth the trip to get there was in the first place!

If you don’t maintain your F150, your trip won’t be a good memory with breakdowns to, at, and from you vacation spot. Let’s check that truck out before you head out.

Read the complete story here:

https://www.f150online.com/articles/...-start-basics/

Old 07-23-2014, 02:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Couldn't find "Part 2", and I'm sure it includes more, like after checking the tires condition, make sure it's aired up to the proper PSI for your application. I also check to make sure the spare tire is in good shape and aired up.

I also check the rest of the fluids too.. Brake fluid, power steering (if you still have a PS fluid equipped truck) washer fluid (those darn bugs!) and battery condition.

Other mechanics I like to check are the belts, hoses and just an overall visual of the engine compartment and underneath to make sure there are no leaks or things that just don't look right...

Inside the truck, I like to make sure I have some actual paper maps of where I'm going and make sure I have all the necessary paperwork for any reservations I may have along the way.

In the bed, I carry along my "portable" garage toolbox, just so I have any special tools while on the road. I also like to carry my cheapie 2.5 ton floor jack, as that's easier to use to change a flat with on the truck, or even the trailer if needed.

If you are towing a trailer of some sort, the same sort of things should be checked on it too... Tires for sure and knowing when the last time the brakes/hubs were serviced or at least checked.. Make sure the hitch is still okay and all parts and pieces are functional.

Check those lights after you hitch up and plug in too! I have my wife stand at the back while I cycle thru the brakes, turn signals and running lights before we go. Then I take a last visual walk around to make sure all is secure.

Finally able to take off at this point, but it's all worth it when you have a trouble free trip! Now, stuff has happened to me along the way too over the years (12 and counting with my current trailer), but being prepared and being able to resolve most things without fuss is a good thing too!

Happy Camping everyone.

Mitch

Old 07-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MitchF150
Couldn't find "Part 2", and I'm sure it includes more, like after checking the tires condition, make sure it's aired up to the proper PSI for your application. I also check to make sure the spare tire is in good shape and aired up.

I also check the rest of the fluids too.. Brake fluid, power steering (if you still have a PS fluid equipped truck) washer fluid (those darn bugs!) and battery condition.

Other mechanics I like to check are the belts, hoses and just an overall visual of the engine compartment and underneath to make sure there are no leaks or things that just don't look right...

Inside the truck, I like to make sure I have some actual paper maps of where I'm going and make sure I have all the necessary paperwork for any reservations I may have along the way.

In the bed, I carry along my "portable" garage toolbox, just so I have any special tools while on the road. I also like to carry my cheapie 2.5 ton floor jack, as that's easier to use to change a flat with on the truck, or even the trailer if needed.

If you are towing a trailer of some sort, the same sort of things should be checked on it too... Tires for sure and knowing when the last time the brakes/hubs were serviced or at least checked.. Make sure the hitch is still okay and all parts and pieces are functional.

Check those lights after you hitch up and plug in too! I have my wife stand at the back while I cycle thru the brakes, turn signals and running lights before we go. Then I take a last visual walk around to make sure all is secure.

Finally able to take off at this point, but it's all worth it when you have a trouble free trip! Now, stuff has happened to me along the way too over the years (12 and counting with my current trailer), but being prepared and being able to resolve most things without fuss is a good thing too!

Happy Camping everyone.

Mitch
good job, you just wrote it.....

I also make sure that I have some spare fuses and bulbs along for those "just in case" moments....

Old 07-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford F-150 Maintenance Before Camping: Steering and Suspension (Part Two)

Thanks for the tips guys!

Here's part two....

https://www.f150online.com/articles/...ng-suspension/

Quick Reply: Ford F-150 Maintenance Before Camping: Start with the Basics (Part One)