Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How to add factory fogs to a '99 F-150 XL

Old 12-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 97madness
Looks good, and iknow ur not done posting this up yet, but what your saying with the 97-99s, even tho im prewired and my switch pulls out, the fog option wont work? Until i get the proper fog switch?
hi i just added original fog lights to my 97 xl i took thr swtich from thr truck that i got the fog lights from and i have the wires already from factory in from of my truck the problem is as soon i plug thr fog lights in the come on and stay on all the time even with the guy off and head light swtich off i have to remove the fuse under hood but i loose my day timerunning lights when i remove that fuse

Old 02-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Dude you are awesome on the installation. My 02 came with running lights but I have them wired to be on when the ignition is hot. Also I have full battery voltage going to them thru a relay and use a 2005 bulb. Modify the 2005 bulb base a little using the original as a guide.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Nice write up, very professional, I have a 99 XL which was prewired for fogs and all I had to do was change the light switch from a 99 XLT and walla fog lights.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks ...

Having all the wiring already in place is a nice feature, but after talking to some guys w/ '97-'98's who had no existing fog light wiring at all, I was glad to have at least the wiring from the switch to the firewall.

While over the years I have gotten somewhat competent on mechanical repairs, I'm a total idiot when it comes to wiring. I definitely read a lot of threads on this site to figure out the wiring.

One of the many things my dad (a genius electrical engineer and all around handy guy) taught me is that cars are a rough environment for wiring. If you don't protect your wiring you're probably going to have problems at some point.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:34 PM
I know this is an old thread but where exactly is the power input terminal on the under-hood fusebox? Could you post pics? Do you have to remove the top layer of fuses to get to it? I see some clips where you might be able to remove a layer and get under it....

Old 07-16-2013, 02:16 PM

The power input terminal is on the end of the fuse box closest to the firewall. There are 4 metal tabs pointing up, which hold the fuse box down. Flex these tabs out out the way and the whole fuse box can be lifted up. In the pic (from my earlier grill light how-to here) the fuse box has been lifted and rotated on its side to give access to the terminal.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Awesome, I really appreciate it man! Great how to, keep up the good work.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:03 PM
I know it's typically frowned upon to revive old posts but I just wanted to say thanks to the OP for this tutorial. I installed my driving lights today using a ebay factory headlight switch, Depo clears and a home made harness (copied yours)
The factory wiring harness for the fogs was NOT present on my 98 XLT

Old 12-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HardmanGT
The factory wiring harness for the fogs was NOT present on my 98 XLT
Nice job!

That wiring deal seems to be a luck of the draw thing. My XL has DRL and fog wiring, but looking under another '03 SuperCab XLT (Oh yeah, higher trim level...gonna' have the fog harness up in there...) when I was truck shopping over the summer got me nowhere at all. No harness. No "voila". Nada.

My SuperCab came out of Kansas City and the other truck was out of Dearborn, if I recall. So, it could have been a matter of mine possibly being destined for Canada at one point, but who knows...

Old 01-03-2014, 12:48 AM
Nice write up! You don't have to buy another headlight switch, you can buy one if you want to have the fog lights turn on separately but it is not required, what i did is i pulled my switch and connected my wire that was coming from my relay to turn on/off my fog lights to my parking lights which is the brown wire so when i turn on my corners my fog lights turn on also.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Seeing if you are still on the site

Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Yeah that truck looks awesome, nice write-up
I bought an 1999 F -150 XL two wheel drive as a service truck, my truck has the wires for the factory fog lights at the front of the truck, but not to the switch in dash.
I got the head light switch and wire small Wh/ Bk out of the wreaking yard, What does the small wire do as it would seam it is always giving or sending power to what ever it does. I was wondering if I install this wire in the truck if the lights would then work ??. or is there other wire to fuse box etc that I need.
Thanks
Daryl
PS
I got all the factory fog light etc and lower bumper part installed on the truck, just need to get it wired up now.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:11 PM

Don't post much, but still around ...

Let me start by saying electrical is not my thing. It has never interested me, so I've never made much effort to learn it. The electrical info for this project I got from various websites / wiring diagrams.

That being said, this is how I remember the system working ...
Pulling the fog light switch grounds the yellow wire (in the black plug at the headlight switch), which completes the circuit from the white/black wire, through the relay to the now grounded yellow wire. This triggers the relay, turning on the fog lights.

The factory fog light relay is in the under-hood fuse box. My truck did not have either the relay or the wires to plug the relay into, so I added all the relay / wiring. Does your truck have the fog light relay installed in the fuse box? Are the wires for the relay there (yellow, wht/blk, orange/lt. green, tan/orange)?

Bottom line is you need to get the yellow and blk/wht wires from the switch, a power wire, and a wire to the fog lights all to a relay. Based on what is present in your truck, you can decide if it is easier to tap into the existing system, or add a new system.

Good Luck!

Old 10-26-2014, 05:30 PM
Pre-wired?

Sorry to make an old thread come alive. I have a 2004 F150 XLT Heritage. Can anyone tell by the photo if my truck is Pre-wired?

Fog light connection?<br/>

Old 10-26-2014, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Mccoycmw
Sorry to make an old thread come alive. I have a 2004 F150 XLT Heritage. Can anyone tell by the photo if my truck is Pre-wired?

Fog light connection?<br/>
Outside air temp probe. Look lower around the bumper area.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Thanks, I don't see any wires near the bumper. I have read that they are sometimes near the headlights or the frame. I will keep looking. My truck is RWD and was made in Canada yah.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to add factory fogs to a '99 F-150 XL