Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

"HOW TO" install Double Din unit in 2003 F150

Old 12-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, that's a good idea, too. It seems to be pretty cool. Haven't got it in, yet, still trying to get stuff put up from Christmas.

I do have another question, though. I watched the video you posted, Dirtyscrew, and I saw the relay that dude was using. Where did you get it? Local stereo shop? Or is that something that is so common, I can get it just about anywhere?

(I know, I know, freakin noob questions. Hey, I own an autoglass company, I don't do stereo's. I'm 34 yrs. old and this is the first time I've ever put a headunit in.)

Last edited by rocsorcs; 12-27-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 12-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by rocsorcs
Yeah, that's a good idea, too. It seems to be pretty cool. Haven't got it in, yet, still trying to get stuff put up from Christmas.

I do have another question, though. I watched the video you posted, Dirtyscrew, and I saw the relay that dude was using. Where did you get it? Local stereo shop? Or is that something that is so common, I can get it just about anywhere?

(I know, I know, freakin noob questions. Hey, I own an autoglass company, I don't do stereo's. I'm 34 yrs. old and this is the first time I've ever put a headunit in.)
Yea, you can get that relay at any stereo shop or at Radio Shack. I know the owner of my local stereo shop and he sold it to me at his cost..which was like 8 bucks! But you should be able to get one for under $15. Just follow that video's instructions...works like a charm! Good luck, and the ONLY dumb question is the one you don't ask! ------------DirtySCREW

Old 12-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks, man.

I'll check out the local Radio Shack, tomorrow.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 AM
I just installed one of these head units in my 05 and am very pleased with it. The only thing about the install video of the relay it looks like his relay is a little different than most on how the pins are laid out. I tried to install it the way he did and got the warning message. It looks like he has two ground wires straight across from each other like they get connected once the relay is energized, but thats incorrect. You need one ground and the remote wire on one circuit of the relay, and a splice off the remote wire and the parking brake feed on the other circuit.

I got my relay at Advanced Auto for $4.99. It was funny because the package of terminals cost more than the relay...WTF?

Also how does someone go about adding features to the radio like navigation? I see they can be bought separately but do you have to download software to the Head Unit to run it?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by F150_Envy
I just installed one of these head units in my 05 and am very pleased with it. The only thing about the install video of the relay it looks like his relay is a little different than most on how the pins are laid out. I tried to install it the way he did and got the warning message. It looks like he has two ground wires straight across from each other like they get connected once the relay is energized, but thats incorrect. You need one ground and the remote wire on one circuit of the relay, and a splice off the remote wire and the parking brake feed on the other circuit.

I got my relay at Advanced Auto for $4.99. It was funny because the package of terminals cost more than the relay...WTF?

Also how does someone go about adding features to the radio like navigation? I see they can be bought separately but do you have to download software to the Head Unit to run it?
You just buy the Pioneer NAV unit that's made for our decks. It plugs into the back and wa-la....NAVIGATION. My only question is updates. Say 3-4 years from now....how do you update the thing?---------DirtySCREW

Old 01-06-2011, 06:02 PM
No Pics

Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Enemy
No Pics
Yea, sorry.....my bandwith has been exceeded for the month on photobucket. It should reset on the 11th! I might need to go to the PRO account.... accepting donations!!.....----------DirtySCREW

Old 01-09-2011, 12:22 PM
I can't see any of the pics either, maybe a link to Facebook will work better, no bandwidth limit lol.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice and detailed write up. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:13 PM
i put the same radio in my 1998 f150 and mine was like 100x harder and also that black panel said 2 on it instead of 1 so maybe that yours was different style

Old 01-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Excellent write up. I just received a 3200BT for Xmas & was disheartened to learn that the needs to be cut up the dash to get the unit to fit. Your detailed instructions, however, have eliminated my concerns. Thanks much.

Question: once the unit is snapped into place via the Metra install kit, how do you go about pulling the unit back out? I have the unit & the Metra installation kit in my hand & it seems that the would become stuck. There's no access holes or pry slots to release the unit once its installed. This can't be so I must be overlooking some simple solution. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by mcherman
Excellent write up. I just received a 3200BT for Xmas & was disheartened to learn that the needs to be cut up the dash to get the unit to fit. Your detailed instructions, however, have eliminated my concerns. Thanks much.

Question: once the unit is snapped into place via the Metra install kit, how do you go about pulling the unit back out? I have the unit & the Metra installation kit in my hand & it seems that the would become stuck. There's no access holes or pry slots to release the unit once its installed. This can't be so I must be overlooking some simple solution. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You have to get you hand/fingers behind the unit and really push!! It takes a great deal of force, but be careful. Basicly, don't fully seat it until you know you have the clearance and ain't gonna remove it!

--------------DirtySCREW

Old 01-16-2011, 12:07 PM
So, it would be best to do all upgrades at once, i.e. backup camera, sub, etc. That's not very user nor budget friendly. I may just have to ask the bank (wife) for more money - LOL.

I can't tell from the pics but can you access the the screw holes for the side brackets through the air duct openings? I'm thinking one could remove the brackets to get the unit out. Is this even feasible?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Never mind. Curiosity got the best of me so I went out in the garage & pulled off the trim piece & saw that there wasn't any access to the screw holes. I really don't like start something until I know what I'm getting myself into. Nothings worse than going past the point of no return &/or skill set.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by mcherman
Never mind. Curiosity got the best of me so I went out in the garage & pulled off the trim piece & saw that there wasn't any access to the screw holes. I really don't like start something until I know what I'm getting myself into. Nothings worse than going past the point of no return &/or skill set.
when i did it in my 1998 it was really a pain but i got it in and i made it to where i can remove it thats the best part when i installed mine i got that trim ground down then i tried to put it in wouldnt go in then i look in closer and see that the plastic trim inside the hole had to be cut out well i did that and then it wanted to go in at an angle because of a metal bracket at the top of the dash well that wasnt going to work and at that point i was pissed and i got my sawzaw mexican buddy carlos and he looked at it and he said cut the outer trim panel (the one that you see all the time ) well since you would be seeing it i got out the sanding bit on the drimel and cut it away the radio does stick out a little bit and there is a gap on the passenger side but the gap will be covered when i get a trim to go around radio but it holds the radio snug infact i doesnt move unless you take off that trim
i also put the radio in before i got my sub and when i got it it went in and out with not a problem

Last edited by 1998f150wes; 01-16-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "HOW TO" install Double Din unit in 2003 F150