Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How to Fix a Defective Window Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cre8tive Sol
I performed this service earlier today; unfortunately it did not fix my problem, but the tutorial was spot on. I proceeded to the next step in the process which is checking the wires between the cab and the drivers door, low and behold I found a broken ground wire after repairing that and since I was in the neighborhood I looked around some more and found the power wire was about to break so I repaired that as well. Bam the system works outstanding espically since I have a newly serviced switch as well. Hope this info helps the next person. BTW Ground = 12 AWG Blk, Power = 12 AWG Lt Bl / Blk. Work performed 10/30/12
I tried to clean the contacts but it didn't work. I bought a motor/ regulator and plugged it in before removing the old and installing the new one and it wouldn't work. Using a voltage meter I checked the various contacts and they were hot, at least the hot wires. I've got to look for a loose wire or something.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Check the wires between the drivers door and cab. More then likely this is your problem.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Cre8tive Sol
Check the wires between the drivers door and cab. More then likely this is your problem.
Thanks. Just check them in the door as they lead to the cab? I'm assuming you unraveled al the factory binding and tape.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:46 PM
After two failed attempts to replace the switch assembly with an ebay part due to inoperative back lighting, I cleaned the contacts this evening. Took about fifteen minutes and now the drivers side window goes up without having to mash the switch, flail your arms in the air and hold your tongue JUST right.

Thanks for the great write-up and pictures!

Old 08-15-2014, 07:59 AM
where do i find the pictures and step by step instrunctions of how to take the driver side switch apart that Matt (mblouir) posted?

Old 08-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Look in the index of the Articles and How To forum. Or, since this is the thread the index will take you to, look at the first post in this thread.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:44 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Great thread, good pixs ..... and so "timely" as my pass side switch went "kaput" this afternoon ....

Edited 09-06-14:

A few days ago I popped the armrest top off, unplugged the switch, took it inside to my bench, broke it down and cleaned the contacts of what looked like black sooty dust .... reassembled and installed .... works perfect. To clean I used electronics tuner cleaner and a small screw driver with a paper towel wrapped around tip. Was so easy, I then pulled driver's door switches and inspected them ..... the more heavily used front switches showed same sooty deposit but I cleaned all of them.

Fixed.

Last edited by tbear853; 09-06-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:24 AM
All 3 passenger switches don't seem to have power.

Hello folks, I've been having troubles with all 3 passenger window switches. They act as if the window lock is on when it's not. Replaced the driver's side switch cluster with no luck. Seems like there isn't power to the passenger window switches. I haven't been able to find a fuse or anything for the windows....not sure where to go next. Anyone run into this same issue?

Old 02-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by acphoto
Hello folks, I've been having troubles with all 3 passenger window switches. They act as if the window lock is on when it's not. Replaced the driver's side switch cluster with no luck. Seems like there isn't power to the passenger window switches. I haven't been able to find a fuse or anything for the windows....not sure where to go next. Anyone run into this same issue?
I think you will get more responses if you start a new thread describing your problem. Try either the Electrical forum or the forum for the year of your truck.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:44 AM
switch fix

Awesome job man. The pictures made it easy to do the job. I rolled my window down today and it went down fine but nope wouldn't go up. Followed your instructions and presto it works perfect now. Only bad thing is I lost one of the small black pieces that goes on the white switch. O well. Thanks for your help. A+++++

Old 04-20-2015, 11:46 PM
Great tutorial....even more valuable five years later when switches are five years older and more prone to fail. Thank you !

Old 07-24-2015, 02:34 PM
Many thanks for the posting!

Just did these action items and it works great. Again - huge help and many thanks.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Thanks you! I had this same problem and your step by step instructions helped me fix it in my truck. Thanks!!

Old 05-24-2016, 06:00 PM
Works!!!

Thank you very much !!, it worked very well for me !!

Old 01-17-2017, 10:22 AM
Got all the way to where you take the buttons out and found they were caked over with dirt underneath them so I used qtips on them hooked it all back up to try it and it worked this helped a lot thanks man!!!

Quick Reply: How to Fix a Defective Window Switch