Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How-To: Gotts Mod for 2009 / 2010 (w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redfx4150
i made my own air tube from the box to the intake

but lost highway mpg so i went back to stock
ahhh...gotcha. I'm sorry so hear it didn't work out performance wise, but man, it sure looks good!

Old 03-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks for sharing .. great pics and infos !

Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 AM
will this mod work on a 2001 f150?? and is there any help with things performance wise?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by alljackedup
will this mod work on a 2001 f150?? and is there any help with things performance wise?
Look in the index of Articles and How Tos for the thread covering that model.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by redfx4150
i did disconnect the battery

i ran this two months i was hard pressed to get 17 mpg on my long highway trip
back to stock tube same trips 18 to 19

all of this i had a afe pro dry filter and no snorkel
Ha!!! Ha haha!!! I NEVER..... that's right... NEVER got more than 16.5 mpg stock, lol. I was sooo stoked the other day when I filled up and calculated it to be 14.4 mpg... today it was 13.7

But that looks like it would be a good idea with what you did. Im kinda surpised it gave you worse mileage... Maybe try a smaller diameter pipe with a reducer at both ends so like cut off two sections of your original pipe, put two reducers on it and run a smaller diameter pipe in between. I dunno, might be worth a shot

Old 03-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Well when I had a 05 with the four speed trany like yours 16 was the best I ever did and when I went to 35s 13 was a best

but the new six speed has made a big differents with mpg

Old 04-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info on this....
I pulled the headlight, instead of the airbox, the hardest thing about this mod is getting the airbox open!!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Sorry this is all new to me and actually the first time I have ever heard of this mod. My questions are.
What do you obtain from doing this mod? Is it just to have a less restrictive air flow?
Also, once you remove the snorkel, do you have to replace it with anything or do you just leave the hole empty. I noticed on a few other threads they were using some pvc piping. Although I'm thinking that may be for previous f150 models. Thanks very much for any help on this one.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by squerel
Sorry this is all new to me and actually the first time I have ever heard of this mod. My questions are.
What do you obtain from doing this mod? Is it just to have a less restrictive air flow?
Also, once you remove the snorkel, do you have to replace it with anything or do you just leave the hole empty. I noticed on a few other threads they were using some pvc piping. Although I'm thinking that may be for previous f150 models. Thanks very much for any help on this one.
Yes, air flow is the reason behind doing this, you should gain some HP the OP on this got 7hp verified by dyno! and some have got 1-2 mpg.
Once removed you're done, no need to put in any additional pipe. just do a search on "gotts mod" you'll find all you need to know, the original mod was for trucks prior to '09 this new thread was for '09-10.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dale29
Yes, air flow is the reason behind doing this, you should gain some HP the OP on this got 7hp verified by dyno!
I'm sorry, but no he didn't. The dyno sheet in the original post is from PHP/Edge's 2009 5.4L dyno run with a CUSTOM TUNE (Gryphon/Edge) and the snorkel removed. It was also done on Level 2 (towing).

and some have got 1-2 mpg.
You're jumping the gun. No one has had this 'mod' long enough to conclude it will increase MPG.

Once removed you're done, no need to put in any additional pipe. just do a search on "gotts mod" you'll find all you need to know, the original mod was for trucks prior to '09 this new thread was for '09-10.
The original Gotts mod DID have PVC pipe to the fender opening - it was larger than the original pipe.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:50 PM
well thanks for the input guys, Think I'll wait for some more conclusive evidence before I bother to try this mod.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:54 PM
FYI Mr Shotgunz

Originally Posted by shotgunz
I'm sorry, but no he didn't. The dyno sheet in the original post is from PHP/Edge's 2009 5.4L dyno run with a CUSTOM TUNE (Gryphon/Edge) and the snorkel removed. It was also done on Level 2 (towing).

You're jumping the gun. No one has had this 'mod' long enough to conclude it will increase MPG.

The original Gotts mod DID have PVC pipe to the fender opening - it was larger than the original pipe.
Direct from the OP....

I also included an additional dyno plot which shows without question that removing the snorkel does, in fact, improve the performance of the vehicle, particularly above 3500 RPM. Based on calculations, removing the snorkel picked up 7.5 HP and 7.6 Ft./Lbs. These figures are very respectable, especially considering that we had already made a significant gain with tuning. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to retest the vehicle with the Performance calibration, but I would certainly expect to see similar improvements with the same modification.

Needless to say, we are really excited about the results, especially since we only ran 85 Octane fuel. We will be doing some (relatively) sea-level testing here in the next week or two along with 93 Octane fuel testing and fully expect to see even better results.

We'll keep everyone posted on the results as development progresses. Stay tuned... [/QUOTE]

True, it was run on a programmer w/ a towing tune but just the deletion of the snorkel adds 7hp, not what I would call apples and oranges but I could be wrong.

Also direct from the OP.....

6) Remove the snorkel from the air filter box. Do this by pressing down on the inside tab of the snorkel while pulling from the outside.

Picture of airbox sans snorkel or extra pvc goes here.....

7) Put everything back the way it came out and you're done! Very simple, nothing that can't be undone if need be. (what he said!)

This is direct from respondent sgerry.....

Originally Posted by sgerry
I have noticed a gain of 1-2 mpg's both in city and highway so far, I have yet to disconnect the battery and let the system re-learn the curves and such.

I diud however notice a good intake "honk" and 15-1600 RPM's, not bad...just thee, canb't wait to pout on the gibson sport dual's and see what happens.

Is anyone going to fit a larger pipe or hose to the fenderwell? i am on the fence so far.
yes, sgerry came back to say that he really only got .5 mpg gain and it was computer calc...My humble apologies for disseminating misinformation.

Let me just say that I read the post, along with the "initial dyno results" link....then replied to squerel, (who obviously had not read much of the post) and summarized it for him.
I also reminded him that this post was for the '09-'10 application and that he could find info on previous years mod specs by doing a search. I was not trying to hoodwink squerel into doing the gotts mod so I could take over the world, but thanks for the public spanking, lucky we have you here to protect us from evil internet truck mod scams.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Direct from the OP....

By "OP" do you mean Bill Cohron or ncTidalWave?

True, it was run on a programmer w/ a towing tune but just the deletion of the snorkel adds 7hp, not what I would call apples and oranges but I could be wrong.

So the question is, how much did the custom tune add? And how much hp did removing the snorkel add? 3 hp? 6 hp? Or some other number less than 7 hp?

Also direct from the OP.....

By "OP" do you mean Bill Cohron or ncTidalWave?

yes, sgerry came back to say that he really only got .5 mpg gain and it was computer calc...My humble apologies for disseminating misinformation.

The computer (on my 09 truck) has been as close as 0.00 MPG and as much as 2.01 MPG high (average of .63 MPG high over the first 10k miles). I wouldn't call your post disinformation [false or inaccurate information that is spread deliberately] as much as wishful thinking.

I also reminded him that this post was for the '09-'10 application and that he could find info on previous years mod specs by doing a search. I was not trying to hoodwink squerel into doing the gotts mod so I could take over the world, but thanks for the public spanking, lucky we have you here to protect us from evil internet truck mod scams.
Wow.

I certainly didn't mean to hurt your feelings by pointing out the facts. Please accept my public apology.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Very interesting.....

So let me get this straight, the Gotts mod that I keep hearing about is just about removing the intake restrictions? And to do so on the 2009 all you have to do is remove the snorkel thingy? Do you put anything in its place? Is better throttle response and fuel economy really this easy to achieve... I am totally grateful to such a fine write up with pictures and all.. THANKS, I think I will do this as soon as I get home tonight.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:26 PM
did mine

Just did mine. Should anything ( pvc pipe) go were the snorkel was? or just open to fender.

Quick Reply: How-To: Gotts Mod for 2009 / 2010 (w/ pics)