Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

PATS Thread - Program Your Own Keys & Other Useful PATS Info

Old 01-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I followed the instructions to a tee. When I insert the unprogrammed key and turn it to the 3rd position, my security light on the dash flashes. The bag the key came in said for 04-08 Ford.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by Tylus
wierd...mine is the exact same length. you have a Freestyle or Fusion key?...although they should be the same thing

I got a freestyle 3-button key, after it is cut it is the same length, however the guy at the hardware store that cut it wanted to know if he should cut it from the base or the tip, cut from the base and it trims excess off the end.

Thanks again for the write-up

Jesse

Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 AM
I found the problem, key is not for an 04-08, it is for pre 04. Guy sold me the wrong key.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:29 AM
I have the Ford Gold Alarm/Remote Start setup. (I believe it's made by Code Alarm) If I were to buy the 4 button Fusion key, would I be able to use four button remote, and have the trunk/hatch button be the remote start button?

Thanks,
mikebaby

Old 01-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tylus
[INDENT]1. PATS System[INDENT]PATS stands for "Passive Anti-Theft Security". It is Fords answer to car theft.

Inside each key, there is a little RFID chip. When properly programmed, your trucks PCM reads and recognizes the RFID inside the key.

Without the proper RFID signal, the ignition system WILL NOT WORK. Motor won't even turn over...basically makes the vehicle one big paperweight. This makes it alot harder to steal a late-model Ford..
The FACT is no matter what security features like finger print, voice activated, eye/lens scanner and face activated key it will not make your car harder stealing it. I think expensive GPS tracker will not practical because it can be defeated easily using a GPS jammer A simple car sticker with marking "Warning this vehicle is equipped with a GPS tracking system". For me the best and most ideal is to get a comprehensive insurance

They steal cars by slightly bumping their target from behind. If you get out of the vehicle a gun is pointed to you so you only have 2 choices DIE or say BYE!

Last edited by desertst0rm; 01-25-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:06 PM
I purchased the 4 button key off of ebay. After programming it the power lock and unlock work and the panic button works. The other button, trunk open, does nothing.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks Tylus for the timely reminder for me to get a couple of extra PATS keys for my 4 month old 09 F150. I had the procurement of a couple of spare keys on my to do list, but you know how that goes sometimes. I picked up a couple of Ford OEM blank PATS keys on eBay. The lady at Home Depot cut them for free, since I already had the blanks. I offered her a couple of bucks for cutting them, but she wouldn't take it. She did say that if they didn't work it was my problem. Anyway, I took them out to the truck and programmed them and now I have 4 keys instead of just two that will start my truck. Thanks for reminding to do what I already knew I should have done right after I got the truck.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the write-up.

Here's my situation...I have a 97 F150 that I've installed a 2003 4.6L engine/trans/xfer. I am using the '03 PCM which meant I had to add the PATS system and instrument cluster. SO...I have NO Pats keys that match the PCM. All parts came from different vehicles.

What needs to be done here? I'm 80% done with the conversion.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by 3b) You only have 1 PATS key programmed = [B
Costly[/B]
Unfortunately, you must visit the Dealership, or a properly equipped Locksmith. They will have to connect a special tool to the PCM and perform the key programming for you. Roughly costs $40-50 (1/2 hour labor) for this service.
[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
Why can't I use the same programmed key twice for programming an additional key, has anyone tried this? How does one programmed key differ from another?

Old 01-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by desertst0rm
The FACT is no matter what security features like finger print, voice activated, eye/lens scanner and face activated key it will not make your car harder stealing it. I think expensive GPS tracker will not practical because it can be defeated easily using a GPS jammer A simple car sticker with marking "Warning this vehicle is equipped with a GPS tracking system". For me the best and most ideal is to get a comprehensive insurance

They steal cars by slightly bumping their target from behind. If you get out of the vehicle a gun is pointed to you so you only have 2 choices DIE or say BYE!
Most cars are stolen when nobody is looking..I'm all for added security measures, and I'm having a Viper 5901 alarm installed soon.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by chiaronate
Most cars are stolen when nobody is looking..I'm all for added security measures, and I'm having a Viper 5901 alarm installed soon.
Here in the Philippines most car are stolen when there is a driver.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Does a 2000 F150 have the setting, or setup for a keyless entry? When I bought the truck I did not recieve a Keyless entry remote, so I'm asking if I buy one off of ebay will it work as long as i program it?

Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

i dont think the "fusion retracting key with keyless remote" built in will work with 97-03 trucks because look at this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...Q5fAccessories

at the bottom when it shows the enlarged pics it has 2 other pics with it. the middle pic shows the key hole of our trucks and it says no meening it wont work with it.
So 97-03 guys i think the fusion key is a no go but that is just my guess from looking at this ebay post.
If someone is willing to buy one and try it out power to ya because honestly i would love to have one of those keys.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:45 PM
I'd really like to do this for my 2006 Mark LT, but I've been through this already with the dealership and they couldn't code my key and make it work. Luckily they gave me a full refund even though they said they wouldn't at first.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:13 AM
I posted above about this thread, key/buttons work great, however i noticed this weekend that neither one of my original remotes work to lock/unlock truck, any suggestions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PATS Thread - Program Your Own Keys & Other Useful PATS Info