Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

'99 F-150 Headlight Switch Mod

Old 02-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another question I have for you guys is what about the grease in the back of the switch, What kind of grease is it that way when i change the ramp configuration I can re-apply it and not have the thing get all dried out and worn? is there some way to take what is in there out like with a toothpick or something and then be able to replace it when done so it isn't wasted with plastic shavings from the cutting?

Old 02-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I took out the existing grease from the two switches I had (my orig switch and the fog switch I bought and modified), and smeared it back in after I ground the ramp.

Ace_boy2099, thanks so much for your additions to this how-to ...

Last edited by fairlaner; 02-21-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:30 PM
well, I just finished my version of the mod. It is a little more work than those of you without the Autolamp dial for the results I wanted.

What I wanted was to have it so I can have the switch in the off position but pulled out so when my autolights go on the fogs come on too, In order to do that I eliminated the ramp trying my best to keep the groves in the walls for the "Clicky effect" and that part was finished, once I put the switch back together I found out that in order to pull the switch in the off position I had to get rid of the plastic thing on the bottom of the **** itself, (The thing that releases the switch from the dash when fully installed) so If you do the mod my way make sure you have a second **** somewhere incase you ever have to remove the switch from the dash in the future.

Whilest in the switch I noticed a white plastic thing under where the light is that turns the blue bulb green so I carefully took out the white filament so the switch has blue lights in it, Now just to test that tonight, I hope it works.

All in All my switch now works the way i would like it to and I am happy with that. Hope what I have here is helpful to anyone else doing this the way I did.

EDIT: Well, unfortunately, the headlight switch still has a green glow to it, Not the blue I was going for. I just figured I'd throuw that little bit of info out for anyone going for what I would like to have. (Would like to look into doing a color conversion of the interior lights and switches to blue sometime in the future.)

Last edited by Ace_boy2099; 02-21-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Ace_boy2099
This is basically what I was going through. When i jumped the wire (brown parking light wire and Black/White ground wire) it made my headlights flash when I armed my alarm because that ground works everything not just fogs,So it provided power to my headlights in order for them to flash. By jumping the two wires you ar providing power in the parking position while the switch is pulled out so at the same time it is also providing power while the brights are on because the parking lights are on too.

That is why I had to do the 2 relay thing I posted above. With this, I get power to the control relay only when the key is in the "Run" position this way no power is getting to them when the alarm flashes the lights.

as for "is all the lights flashing a problem" depends on the person and situatiion, I have HIDs in all 4 of my lights and the quick on/off of the flash (i'm told) reduces the life of the balasts of the HIDs so yes, It would be a problem, As for those of us still using halogen bulbs I don't think it would be a problem just maybe a nusence that would annoy you.
it sounds to my like nothing to worry about then. (in my situation) i dont have hid's and i dont plan on running them. as it is, my headlights, parking, and tail lights flash when i double lock the truck so ill just be adding the fogs to the equation. i will hopefully do this over spring break in 3 weeks along with some other mods, and you can bet ill be back if i have any questions/ concerns.lol Thanks!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, So im still confused.
I DONT have autolamps, And I want to be able to turn my fogs on and off with the switch in the park lamps postion.

What Do i need to do?
Any special tips?

Thanks,
The Poolboy

Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by poolboy1191
Ok, So im still confused.
I DONT have autolamps, And I want to be able to turn my fogs on and off with the switch in the park lamps postion.

What Do i need to do?
Any special tips?

Thanks,
The Poolboy
2 versions of this:

1. Without Keyless entry (Flashing parking lights):
Jump the brown wire (big grey plug behind headlight switch bottom left corner) with the white/black stripe (little grey plug behind headlight switch on far right) together then take a dremel and re-shape the ramp inside the headlight switch. DONE!!

2. With Keyless entry (Flashing Parking Lights):
You will have to re-ramp the inside of the headlight switch to get them to turn on with the parking lights. Follow my procedure I have listed in a prior post. Relay 1 is the relay i had to install to add fogs to the truck and relay 2 is to get it to work the way I wanted it to.

The only reason to elimate the ramp altogether is to use the fogs with the autolights too which you said you don't have, so there would be no point in doing that.

I have HIDs so i needed to use the method I used (method 2), If you are only running halogens and you don't mind all the lights flashing on your truck when you lock/arm it then you can do version 1 either way will work.

Do you have Fogs stock (at least have the pigtails at the bumper) or are you adding from scratch (wires and everything)???

Last edited by Ace_boy2099; 02-22-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Ace_boy2099
2 versions of this:

1. Without Keyless entry (Flashing parking lights):
Jump the brown wire (big grey plug behind headlight switch bottom left corner) with the white/black stripe (little grey plug behind headlight switch on far right) together then take a dremel and re-shape the ramp inside the headlight switch. DONE!!

2. With Keyless entry (Flashing Parking Lights):
You will have to re-ramp the inside of the headlight switch to get them to turn on with the parking lights. Follow my procedure I have listed in a prior post. Relay 1 is the relay i had to install to add fogs to the truck and relay 2 is to get it to work the way I wanted it to.

The only reason to elimate the ramp altogether is to use the fogs with the autolights too which you said you don't have, so there would be no point in doing that.

I have HIDs so i needed to use the method I used (method 2), If you are only running halogens and you don't mind all the lights flashing on your truck when you lock/arm it then you can do version 1 either way will work.

Do you have Fogs stock (at least have the pigtails at the bumper) or are you adding from scratch (wires and everything)???

I do have Stock Fog lights, and I Dont mind the flash. I don't have HID's. I would like some, but I have put my fogs underwater 2 times. So I don't think its a wise Idea. lol.

so I only need to Reshape the ramp? And jump the wire? What does the wire jump do?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by poolboy1191
I do have Stock Fog lights, and I Dont mind the flash. I don't have HID's. I would like some, but I have put my fogs underwater 2 times. So I don't think its a wise Idea. lol.

so I only need to Reshape the ramp? And jump the wire? What does the wire jump do?
well, when i installed the first relay to get the fogs on mine (didn't come prewired) I tried the wire and it flashed all my lights, headlights and all, so I had to add the second relay. If you plan on putting HIDs in then I would suggest the additional relay even if the HIDs are just in the headlights and not in the fogs but why make the truck uneven?

the wire jump provides the power for the fogs while the parking lights are on and the yellow wire provides the ground which runs through the headlight switch to light the fog indicator on it (I only know this because I was looking over the same diagram for about a hour trying to figure out how to wire my second relay). I am by far familiar with the stock wiring in terms of what goes where but I would think that stock has the fogs powered from the headlights themselves so it only comes on with lowbeams.

aside from the obvious fogs on with parking the wire jump will also let them stay on with the highbeams. because the full circuit is made with the parking lights which stay on no matter hi beam, low beam, or no beam.

I believe this is how the relay should be wired. You'd just have to find the right places that you would want to do the splicing and running.

For my +12v I ran straight from the battery with a 15A Fuse inline.

Last edited by Ace_boy2099; 02-22-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 PM
I just did the mod, it works AWESOMLY!!! lol. It took me about 45 Mins to do it on an 01. I found it easier to use an exacto-knife.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Alternative

I understand the ease for hooking it up to the pre-exsisting switch, but why not just hook it up to another toggle switch. In California, some Cops are not too friendly to aftermarket lights. I was forced to remove mine but anyhow i reinstalled them and put them on a toggle switch down by the driver side heater vent on the floor. Best idea ever. I also have a few various LED lights on my truck and i can now turn them on and off with my foot! If i see a police officer or just decide that i don't want them on, i have complete control while still maintaining legal driving lights just a thought. Wiring is super easy for it too!

Old 03-25-2010, 01:29 AM
Sorry to be a thread jesus but i figured its better than starting another new one, also bout the low post count i'm more active on f150fourm.com than here. Just a couple questions.
1) probably obvious, but with this done you can still shut off the fogs by pushing in the switch right?
2) i don't care about the ramp cutting so they can be on with the parking lights (i don't have autolamps), but would i still splice the same wires just so the fogs could be on with the high beams? or would i have to splice different wires?

I'm not scared to do the wiring itself, i wired my old car with a relay so the lows would stay on with the highs (they were separate bulbs). worked great with hids all around.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by jayson_waltz
Sorry to be a thread jesus but i figured its better than starting another new one, also bout the low post count i'm more active on f150fourm.com than here. Just a couple questions.
1) probably obvious, but with this done you can still shut off the fogs by pushing in the switch right?
2) i don't care about the ramp cutting so they can be on with the parking lights (i don't have autolamps), but would i still splice the same wires just so the fogs could be on with the high beams? or would i have to splice different wires?

I'm not scared to do the wiring itself, i wired my old car with a relay so the lows would stay on with the highs (they were separate bulbs). worked great with hids all around.
no prob, this is the thread for just these kind of questions regardless of post count. lol

1. Yes the switch will still shut the lights off when you push the **** in just like stock in the lowbeam position.

2. the ramp mod to be on with parking is for just that on with parking lights, I have mine so they go on with autolights dial so I had to eliminate the ramp in the off position too. But to answer your question, Yes it is still the same wires it is just that the physical switch won't let you turn the lights on in the parking light position till you cut the ramp. be warned though, I have an after market alarm which flashes my parking light and when I did the wire-jump when I armed my alarm all my lights flashed, park, fog, head, ALL; so just keep that in mind if you go-to/have HID.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:13 PM
thanks ace, just wanted to double check before i spliced the wrong wires or something which could be very bad.

I did this today, just splicing the wires, and it works great. Easiest 10 min mod i've ever done, and it only took that long b/c a put a switch in my splice wire and hid it behind the dash so i can easily go back to stock if i want. Love being able to have my high beams and fogs on together now

Old 04-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Head light switch mod

When I did my switch it was all plastic with small spring loaded plastic pin. All I had to do was remove the pin and put it back together with the jumper wire.
Just wanted to let everyone know that the mod is not always metal ramp that needs to be ground off. thanks
99 F-150 4x4 sc 4.6L

Old 04-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Snipebru
When I did my switch it was all plastic with small spring loaded plastic pin. All I had to do was remove the pin and put it back together with the jumper wire.
Just wanted to let everyone know that the mod is not always metal ramp that needs to be ground off. thanks
99 F-150 4x4 sc 4.6L
Mine is a 99 too and I had to grind off the plastic ramp inside the switch in order for the finger thingy to go where I wanted it, The only other option you really have is to eliminate the finger but then there would be nothing holding the switch in the correct position and it would be all wobbly and not feel like it was stock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '99 F-150 Headlight Switch Mod