Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How To: IWE Solenoid Replacement with Pictures.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same Part No.?

My F150 is a 2004 (not Heritage). This just happened to me on Tuesday for the first time.

Does anyone know if the part no. (6L3Z-9E441-A) is the same for my model year?

Thanks!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure about the product number. I know that NAPA carries Dorman OE products replacement. The Dorman # is 600-400. It comes with a lifetime warranty and costs around $19.50. I just put one on this past weekend.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If thats not the problem could it be a fuse issue ?

Old 11-09-2013, 06:54 AM
Marbles and Crunching..

Sorry to wake up an old thread but I must ask..
At a slow roll I her the marble in the hubcap sounds as well.... BUT!
When I put the truck in 4WD I hear an awful crushing sound kind of lake it's only going half way into 4wd.
Could this also be the IWE Solenoid??

2004 FX4

Thanks for the assistance, D.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:22 PM
My 2001 F150 is making the grinding sound once you accelerate and the sound continues even if you take your foot off the accelerator. Would this be the IWE or wheel bearings?

Old 01-23-2014, 10:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by awd27
My 2001 F150 is making the grinding sound once you accelerate and the sound continues even if you take your foot off the accelerator. Would this be the IWE or wheel bearings?
A little update for you guys and it Might address awd's question above.

A few years after I replaced the solenoid the sound came back.

What happened was the vacuum line running to the IWE had fallen off (probably caught it on some brush or something when we were hauling wood at the cabin.)

This caused the IWE to partially engage and strip out all the teeth.

not that big of a deal. Follow these threads to do the replacement if you determine your problem to be the same.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...replacing.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...then-some.html

if you guys have any specific questions please do not hesitate to ask!

Best of luck!

-M

Old 01-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by tomatillo
Spent $390 at the dealer today. I wanted to spare my trans/transfer case.

It's a 2005 with 49k mi. Highway. Babied truck.

All the sudden I hear this CLUNK then a bearing noise. Or so I thought.

We paid to have $30 can of lube .... applied to the slip yoke. Not it.

Then, finally, I discovered that when I put it into 4wd, the noise stopped immediately.

WHY, isn't it designed to require vacuum to go TO 4WD, versus staying in 2wd. What a blunder. You could save some hubs, damn it, and a lot of quick actions to pull off the road because of the grinding and banging.

THIS IS A SAFETY PROBLEM, FOLKS.

I love Ford. That's all I buy, but it's time to stand up and do a recall on this.

It won't happen until a class action.

State your interest. If it is repaired under recall, your money spent to fix their blunder will be refunded.

It's a Ford truck. It shouldn't rely on vacuum, or suck so much, to keep it in gear.

!
Realize the post was kind of old but had to throw in my two cents...

If your 4x4 is really being used off-road and you were to catch a limb or other debris that tore the vaccuum hose free, you could find yourself up the proverbial creek.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:38 AM
I just ordered one of these yesterday for my issue. I hope that it fixes it there is some kind of god awful noise from from the front when first accelerating or backing up. Fingers crossed.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by rfinger
I just ordered one of these yesterday for my issue. I hope that it fixes it there is some kind of god awful noise from from the front when first accelerating or backing up. Fingers crossed.
Make sure you immediately check the vacuum hoses going to the IWE's at the wheels.

They do come loose from time to time.

But check it before you drive again otherwise you'll wipe out the teeth.

PM me if you don't understand and I'll walk you through it.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by mrolgren
Make sure you immediately check the vacuum hoses going to the IWE's at the wheels.

They do come loose from time to time.

But check it before you drive again otherwise you'll wipe out the teeth.

PM me if you don't understand and I'll walk you through it.
Welp I may have screwed it up then due to the fact that it has been doing this off and on for about 2 weeks now and has gotten real bad as of the last few days. And yea I may need some help with that.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by rfinger
Welp I may have screwed it up then due to the fact that it has been doing this off and on for about 2 weeks now and has gotten real bad as of the last few days. And yea I may need some help with that.
I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad over this.

It is a pretty easy fix even if you screwed the whole gears like I did.

Check out this link for how to replace the IWE's.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...replacing.html

Buy them from Rockauto. They are pretty cheap all things considered.

Also keep an eye on that vacuum line, they like to come loose from time to time.

take a look at this stuff and if you still have questions please do not hesitate to contact me, I'm more than willing to help you out!

-M

Old 03-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Actually the lines were fine and replaced the iwe was fine. Come to find out it was the passenger side hub assembly. Once I replaced that it was completely fine and no more issues. What it looked like was the gears were completely burnt and the seal had come off. But yeah its fine now.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Grinding noise

I have had this issue wit the same sounds several times with my 08 f150. I am also wondering if anyone experienced their battery light come on and the battery gauge rising to the 'high' position during the noise. After reading these numerous posts, I find my solenoid has a guard on it. My 4wd unit is also a shift on the floor, so I don't know if the solenoid may even be an issue.

In past experiences, ive brought truck to dealer and they replaced the alternator at no charge and the battery at the same time. Problem seemed to dismiss for a good amount of time.. then came back. Second time, I explained symptoms thinking another bad alternator. After discussion, they replaced the alternator again - no charge. Now the same issues are starting to pop up again but very sporadically.. so when I drop it to the dealer (so they can troubleshoot symptoms) the issues never arise.

Any other suggestions on what the issue may be?

Old 04-09-2014, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by bcharette
I have had this issue wit the same sounds several times with my 08 f150. I am also wondering if anyone experienced their battery light come on and the battery gauge rising to the 'high' position during the noise. After reading these numerous posts, I find my solenoid has a guard on it. My 4wd unit is also a shift on the floor, so I don't know if the solenoid may even be an issue.

In past experiences, ive brought truck to dealer and they replaced the alternator at no charge and the battery at the same time. Problem seemed to dismiss for a good amount of time.. then came back. Second time, I explained symptoms thinking another bad alternator. After discussion, they replaced the alternator again - no charge. Now the same issues are starting to pop up again but very sporadically.. so when I drop it to the dealer (so they can troubleshoot symptoms) the issues never arise.

Any other suggestions on what the issue may be?
Seems like an unrelated issue.

To my knowledge, the issue that many of us have is that the Vacuum solenoid gets damaged due to water intrusion.

I don't believe there would be any correlation to the alternator.

Make sure to check back with us with what you and the dealership find out.

Good Luck!

-M

Old 07-21-2015, 08:03 AM
I'm having the same problem being described here in a 2010 STX. I'd like to know if, since my 4 wheel drive is engaged manually rather than by a switch, the vacuum system could still be the culprit. Thanks
Rim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To: IWE Solenoid Replacement with Pictures.