Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

2004 Window Regulator replacement...pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Brazen,

Happened to me yesterday.........just before the rains came in!

Got the door panel off, window up (no rain inside!). Now I'm off to get the new motor/regulator!

As always, thanks guys!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by BLACKOUT FX4
this just happened to me yesterday, im hoping my extended warranty covers this! i would rather not mess with it myself
SWEEEET!! i took it in to get fixed at the dealer and my extended warranty covered the replacement!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Penguin86
Part is $113 at Napa auto parts.
I just ordered an aftermarket from Napa also (p/n 665-3750).....only about $50 for the assembly (less motor). Hmmm......we'll see tomorrow if it fits.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Penguin, do you have a part number from Napa?

The p/n 665-3750 that I ordered was for pre-2004 models and WAS NOT THE CORRECT PART.

All the info I've found says this is still an OEM-only part which must come from a dealer (there are a few where you can order online).

Old 08-03-2009, 11:46 AM
My window saga continues.........

So I get "correct" part from the local dealer on Friday, and waited until after work to begin installing it. Should've been simple......regulator still isn't installed. Apparently, my truck is a little bit different than some others. Hopefully, I'll get the correct part on order today..........

Here's the photo that Brazen posted:
Name:  IMG_1904.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  42.4 KB

Here's my door:
Name:  DriversDoor.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  76.0 KB
Most of the mounting/access holes in my door are the same as Brazen's, ecept for the upper left one. Ignore the purple square at the bottom left, it's the same as other trucks. Note the two purple arrows up top. One shows where MY regulator mount attaches, the other is an approximate location where the replacement part should attach.

Are there any Ford techs on here that can help me with a different part number (other than 4L3Z-1823201)? I have an early 2004 new body style 4-door (Super Crew?) Lariat.

I suppose that I could drill through the door panel and mount the new regulator if there is not another option. But then, I'd need some help with the exact location for the hole for proper window operation. On second thought, there's a different indent in Brazen's door panel that I would need to mimic with spacers, etc........Arrrrgh!

Last edited by MerryO; 08-03-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Apparently after more research, there are different assemblies for the SCAB and the SCREW.

Replacement part# for the SCAB
Motocraft# WLRA-7 (4L3Z-1823201-CA)

Replacement part# for the SCREW
Motocraft# WLRA-3 (4L3Z-1523201-CA)

I'll be getting the WLRA-3 later today and will let all know how things go!

Old 08-04-2009, 11:37 AM
This is unbelievable !

The poor quality / choice of materials for the window regulator is unforgivable...good thing the wheels don't fall off as easily as the windows!

I had the drivers side fail last week, spent $370 at the dealer....I drove straight there when it happened ....the noise in the door was so loud I thought I someone had shot at my truck and hit the door !

$.03 worth of plastic failed...dealer told me it has been a big problem, especially in the heat down here in Texas. Also made the comment the windows sometimes fall and break.

This morning my passenger side door makes a less pronounced "bang" and
I knew what it was....told my daughter not to touch the window buttons.
As I was driving it, the window started to slide and quickly disappeared (gently, thank GOD) into the door.

This should be a TSB!

Not sure I have time to fix it....got a million other things going today, it won't fit in my garage and I can't get the window up....dealer wants $189 for the part....$113 if I buy it online thru an authorized dealer website.
But what do I do for the next 5 days waiting for the part to arrive?

Ford needs to step up! I sure hope they redesigned this on the 2009's !

Old 08-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by F150FX4
The poor quality / choice of materials for the window regulator is unforgivable...good thing the wheels don't fall off as easily as the windows!

I had the drivers side fail last week, spent $370 at the dealer....I drove straight there when it happened ....the noise in the door was so loud I thought I someone had shot at my truck and hit the door !

$.03 worth of plastic failed...dealer told me it has been a big problem, especially in the heat down here in Texas. Also made the comment the windows sometimes fall and break.

This morning my passenger side door makes a less pronounced "bang" and
I knew what it was....told my daughter not to touch the window buttons.
As I was driving it, the window started to slide and quickly disappeared (gently, thank GOD) into the door.

This should be a TSB!

Not sure I have time to fix it....got a million other things going today, it won't fit in my garage and I can't get the window up....dealer wants $189 for the part....$113 if I buy it online thru an authorized dealer website.
But what do I do for the next 5 days waiting for the part to arrive?

Ford needs to step up! I sure hope they redesigned this on the 2009's !

You remove the door panel to get to the window and push-pull it up into place. Then prop it up until you can duct tape it around the edge to hold it, or use vise grips as I did in the channel.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks Bluejay!

Took 5 minutes to do the following
Removed the cover plate above the handle.
Took the 8mm head bolts (2) out.
Removed the panel off the speaker.
Removed the 6mm head screws (4).
Removed the lower 6mm head screws (2) off the bottom edge.

Moved the window up, taped it in place.

Now how do I get the panel off the door without breaking something?...didn't see that in the other thread on removing the panel ( I have a 2004 FX4 SCREW with power windows).

Got it sorted out....
Power Windows get you an additional 10mm bolt behind the door pull / window switches.
First lift up on the window switch panel (flat blade will help) As the panel comes up at 45 degrees it will then pull out from the door
Disconnect the switches
Remove panel
Use a 10mm socket to remove the bolt.
Door panel comes off easily after this!

I wanted to post this as a seperate DIY thread but don't have authority.

I have pix need to figure out a place to put them so I can upload.
Thanks again for the guidance.

Last edited by F150FX4; 08-04-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Yipee, my window is working again!!
(shouldn't have broken in the first place)

Make sure you order the correct part number. Order online if you can stand to wait the shipping time. You can give them your VIN# and they will verify the correct part(s) for your vehicle.

Thanks to those who have helped me, and good luck to those having to put up with this problem!

Old 09-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Yea napa didn't have the correct part at all.

I juse went to the dealer and ordered the part and it was $193...sigh...o well. Couldn't order it online because in need it here tomorrow morning 'cause i need to leave town to head to AZ. My window should be finally fixed tomorrow morning..yippee

Old 09-02-2009, 06:52 PM
got it done today, yippee!! was a piece of cake too

Old 09-13-2009, 02:02 AM
exx
Very good how to like everyone is saying, Ive had all 4 windows do this and the passenger one twice. Its an 05 Ive had since March 05 brand new. My passenger window went out AGAIN for third time about a week ago, this time its the switch so with a couple wires and my brother telling him here touch this here and this here I was able to still roll it back up for now. Anyways, every other time it WAS the regulator, thats right I've had all four go bad and one twice, Ford has the records to prove it, luckily warranty covered every time, just paid $100 deductable. I bought an extended 5 years, 75k mile whichever comes first warranty.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:47 PM
I just had my driver's side go down tonight, so I'll be fixing it tomorrow, if I can find the part.

Someone could make a killing if they made an aftermarket one without the problems. I haven't taken mine out yet to see, but is it a part on the motor assembly that is breaking, or somewhere else on the regulator?

Old 09-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by BDLZ
I just had my driver's side go down tonight, so I'll be fixing it tomorrow, if I can find the part.

Someone could make a killing if they made an aftermarket one without the problems. I haven't taken mine out yet to see, but is it a part on the motor assembly that is breaking, or somewhere else on the regulator?
I called several parts stores today. Two tried to sell me the $47.00 assembly, and I had a hard time convincing them it was for the Heritage edition. Went to a store that insisted it was for my truck, and had to point out on the computer screen where it said heritage.

Ended up getting the thing from the Ford dealership. I showed up just at the right time, because as the parts guy was bringing it up to me, one of their mechanics asked came up and asked if they had another for a truck he was working on.

I'm going to post some pictures (if I can figure out how) of the part that broke on mine in case anyone is interested. I can't believe how flimsy they made this piece - especially with the amount of strain it has to withstand.

I got the truck fixed and back together. It went easier than I thought. The hardest part was cleaning out the garage so I could get out of the rain.

This is the broken part, where cable goes into motor mount.

This is how it should be.

Last edited by BDLZ; 09-27-2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added photos

Quick Reply: 2004 Window Regulator replacement...pics