Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How To - Adding lights to interior light circuit

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

WOW!! Thanks SSCULLY----That answers my question and the next ten that I might have!! Cant wait to start on this tomorrow.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:12 PM
What about the after photos of the finished lights SSCULLY?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Couldn't you just tap into the wire when you pull up the drivers side sill plate?

Old 06-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by subcooled
What about the after photos of the finished lights SSCULLY?
That is what I'm wondering.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Good Article

I hate to revise old threads when just joining a forum, but I do need to add that this info was very helpful in helping me wire my lights on my truck. Will see how they work in the dark later tonight with the dome light wire added.

But I have a question if anyone has mounted these lights with 3M tape and if there is a risk of the lights coming loose?

The reason I ask is I want to move the lights a little further back under the truck not only to hide them more, but I will be going to Florida soon and I want to make sure of non of the small kids get their sandles or foot caught on the lights when using the side steps on my truck. I have already knocked the drivers side wire off. Plus they are angled down just a little too much for me, a few degrees more and they are still pointing down but are much brighter when viewed form the side.

I am adding the rear lights as well under the tailgate and they are being held on with just the 3M tape.

I was thinking about using the tape, then leaving one or two clamps one the ends just in case. But the further I move back, the more worried I am about drilling into the bottom of the truck, there are probably no wiring bundles there.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:13 PM
NICE! I did an install just last night and added these LED lights underneath my truck. It is REALLY bright at night, especially in dark areas. Only turns on and off when opening and closing the doors. But of course I do not turn them on while driving or else my interior lights will turn on at the same time and/or don't want to get pulled over for a ticket.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amg190b...n/photostream/

Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the info, my LED under-dash lights work flawlessly.

Kevin

Old 02-05-2015, 12:17 AM
tried this an now interior lights not turning on... please help!

I tried this tonight exactly as pictured in this post but when i tapped into the black and light blue wire in the same exact position my interior over head dome lights went out and no longer work. The dome lights won't come on as well as the power windows will not work, intrument gauges wont work, radio won't turn on. I think i might have blown a fuse but i also check most of the logical fuses but all looks good with fuses. I did not check any of the larger ISO fuses though. It seems all other lighting, headlights, tail lights, windshield wipers, door locks all working fine, just the others i mention ealier are not working.
Any thoughts?
please any help is much appreciated

Old 02-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by bribas1
I tried this tonight exactly as pictured in this post but when i tapped into the black and light blue wire in the same exact position my interior over head dome lights went out and no longer work. The dome lights won't come on as well as the power windows will not work, intrument gauges wont work, radio won't turn on. I think i might have blown a fuse but i also check most of the logical fuses but all looks good with fuses. I did not check any of the larger ISO fuses though. It seems all other lighting, headlights, tail lights, windshield wipers, door locks all working fine, just the others i mention ealier are not working.
Any thoughts?
please any help is much appreciated
This just happened to me too. Did you figure out how to fix it, if so how did you do it?

Old 02-07-2015, 05:00 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2004f150man
This just happened to me too. Did you figure out how to fix it, if so how did you do it?
Well - first - instead of just checking the 'logical' fuses (whatever TF that means), like that feller, get out the Owner's Guide and properly check ALL the fuses related to the non-functioning components. With a meter, or test light and NOT just visually.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:06 PM
my fix was fuse 21

Thanks all, i found fuse 21 blown. replaced it and good to go now.
thanks again for the step by step with photos, it was very helpful!

Old 05-17-2015, 11:53 PM
Question

If I'm planning to do this do I still have to get ground ?
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
4. Finding the Interior circuit in Connector C238
4.1. Locating Connector C238. This is the bottom connector on the A-pillar / truck cab wall. Circuit 53 is a black w/ light blue wire.

In the Connector C238, there are 2 Black w/ light blue wires. One is towards the outside of the truck, one is towards the inside of the truck. Circuit 53 is towards the outside of the truck.

The one to the inside of the truck is Circuit 875, DON'T use this wire.

The easiest place to add an inline splice is where the wiring runs up towards the interior light switch ( contained in the cluster / interment panel dimmer switch ). The way I found to trace the wires, is to cut the C238 cover ( taped to the wiring loom ) and following the wire up.
To gain access to the Connector cover, remove the hood latch by unbolting it, and sliding it off the A-pillar.

This is where I added the inline Tap for connection to the fuse, and on to the added LED step lights.

If you are adding more then a few LEDs, then this would be used for triggering a coil on a relay.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:30 PM
Works great!

Thank you for the detailed instructions! Its exactly what i needed to do this!

Tapped into the dome light so i could see at night working on my property

Also tapped into reverse lights so i can see backing up out in the sticks. I used a diode to prevent back feeding the electricity into the dome light and possibly damaging anything.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:35 PM
Connecting running board light on 2016 f150

Hi, I am adding running board lights to my 2016 f150, I need to connect to the parking and dome lights. Can anyone help please?

Old 01-17-2017, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
4. Finding the Interior circuit in Connector C238
4.1. Locating Connector C238. This is the bottom connector on the A-pillar / truck cab wall. Circuit 53 is a black w/ light blue wire.

In the Connector C238, there are 2 Black w/ light blue wires. One is towards the outside of the truck, one is towards the inside of the truck. Circuit 53 is towards the outside of the truck.

The one to the inside of the truck is Circuit 875, DON'T use this wire.

The easiest place to add an inline splice is where the wiring runs up towards the interior light switch ( contained in the cluster / interment panel dimmer switch ). The way I found to trace the wires, is to cut the C238 cover ( taped to the wiring loom ) and following the wire up.
To gain access to the Connector cover, remove the hood latch by unbolting it, and sliding it off the A-pillar.

This is where I added the inline Tap for connection to the fuse, and on to the added LED step lights.

If you are adding more then a few LEDs, then this would be used for triggering a coil on a relay.
Im trying to add some led strips under my dash. Which fuse did you run to? I've tried just using the wire you used but I'm not real sure what else to do.

Quick Reply: How To - Adding lights to interior light circuit