Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Intermittent Odometer - A Repair

Old 09-20-2005, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My odo went dark for the first time today on my '99. I stopped to fill-up and went to record mileage... wtf... nothing. I turned the key on & off a couple times, still nothing. I started it up to leave and then it popped up... 043095.2

Then I remembered this thread. Thank you too much!

Old 10-01-2005, 10:53 PM
GREG,

HUGE THANKS MAN!!!! I've been dealing with this for over a year. I figured I was screwed,and was gonna have to take it in.

After reading this I went out, and 60 minutes later it was working again. Same solder joint was cracked on mine. Works great. If your ever in Des Moines, let me know. I too owe you beer

BTW, if anyone is wondering how tuff of job this is, Its very easy, and Gregs instructions are awesome, and exact.

Now I just need to find a tutorial on the door lock actuators. Thats next weekend's project.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:01 PM
thank you all

I just want to thank you all for posting your advise and tricks on this gremlin. I knew it was something that I could tackle myself and will definitly try to as soon as I get a spare sunday. Looks like this is a big problem with the 2000 based on the posts in here.

Old 11-22-2005, 12:20 AM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greg you are them man!

I owe you several beers.
Mine started going out about once a week it wouldn't com one for a few miles or until I taped on it. Talked to my boss whoe rebuilds salvage F150's and he told me he had this and it cost him $600 for a new cluster from the dealer. Called the dealer and same answer "only known cure is new cluster for $600."

Disappointed I was just going to live with out an odemeter if it did go out. I knew it just had to be a short because I could sometimes get it back by tapping on it. Then I seen this thread! Same soldier joint and it was very easy to see with the naked eye. right side of the post had pulled away from the sodier. Drop of sodier, put it back together and hasn't even flickered in the last month or so.

Thank you!

BTW the light switch on my 2000 has a slot for a small screw driver at the bottum to pop it out. I wrapped the screw driver with masking tape to keep from marring the dash.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:29 PM
I was referred to this article by someone on another forum. And I must say, I am glad I followed the advice. Took the cluster out, and sure enough, the connector was broke. SO I stuck some solder to er, and its working like new!...now I need an oil change!

Old 03-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Yep, I'm having the same problem on my '00 regular cab. I'll get on that as soon as it warms up enough outside

Thanks!! this has been an issue for a year or two at least, getting worse by the day.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Odometer intermittant

This is without a doubt the best post I have ever seen. Your are to be congratuated for your very fine detail. I pulled my instriment cluster and found it exactly as you describe it....right to the exact same bad solder connection that you show. Mine works flawlessly now. THANKS for the tip.....Bill

Old 06-16-2006, 11:46 AM
awesome fix!

Hey guys I am new to posting, but I just had to register to say how good this site is. I have a 1999 F150 4x4, and I have saved a guessed $1000 by researching this site. I just finished fixing the odometer, and I replaced the heater core yesterday, using instructions from Allan.

I could not see a crack in the solder joint, but I re-soldered it anyway, and POOF! A 1 year problem was fixed in less than an hour!! The light switch trick out of the manual mentioned worked like a charm the first time!

Brad

Old 07-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Great thread....I'm going to attempt tonight. All these years I thought it was the illumination brightness control. Thanx!

Old 07-31-2006, 10:24 AM
I think I'll do mine today or sometime this week, but for those who have procrastinated like me, 3 yrs now since this thread was read, turn A/C on full and cool the cab down, seems to help when the #'s are needed, plus tapping them lightly.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine didn't hold, I've got to do it again, just procrastinating......
I don't tap lightly on it, I pound on it with my knuckles when it wont work and I need it.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Worked GREAT

MIne was soo bad it would go out miles and miles so glad to get it fixed
I had a crack in the solder on the same spot you did it was the only one cracked and i added some solder and now its good to go.
THANKS

Old 08-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Greg , Great post!
Hey girlwithtruck, that tip on pulling the headlight switch was the nuts! It cut the job time down to less than thirty minutes.
If anybody is planning to do this fix , this tip is a must read. Girlwithtruck definitly gets a big wet one on the lips for her post

Old 08-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Fixed! On solid now for 3 weeks. I would have never found it without this thread. Thanx again.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:38 PM
YOU GUYS ROCK! I have owned several F150s and have not seen the dissapearing dash before now. I thought you guys were nuts and just making up stuff to fix. I just bought a 2001 s-crew 4x4 and what do ya know, the dash went out! Well naturally I knew exactly what to do........re-read what you crazy people have been talking about. Turns out I am the crazy one for thinking it was a made up problem. Thanks a million everyone. Fixed it in under an hour! Instructions were spot on.

Chad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent Odometer - A Repair